Home Forums General Discussion coping with depression

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    suera
    Participant

that is a byproduct of these wonderful auto-immune diseases….any suggestions?:(

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Boy did I suffer with this.  It was a precursor to every major flare also…so it is a bad sign for me on so many levels.

As the RA has improved the depression lifted…it was one of the first positive signs I experienced.

One of my friend's son suffered with depression with mono…who knew?…seems to be a by-product of infection…..(things that make you go hmm…)

Acupuncture has also helped me.  Prayer helps too.  I pray alot…it gets me through the day.  I will add you to my prayer list.  I hope the depression lifts.

It is possible that the depression isn't RA related and there are lots and lots of remedies for that and lots of reasons for it…including hormonal imbalances.  There's so much that can be done. It's not something to ignore.  Go see your doctor for sure. 

–whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

linda
    Participant

Just understanding that it is a symptom of the disease helps me deal with it. I used to beat myself up over things that I couldn't accomplish, but I had to learn to let go of some of my expectations for myself, like having a spotless home every day. It has helped me learn to value the things that are more important than a few (OK, a lot) of dishes in the sink.

If I'm having a really bad day, I don't fight it any more, I just let it go. There are so many people with AI diseases that have become drug addicts or alcoholics, or who have tried to end their lives. I don't dare judge them, I went thru my own dependence on vicodin 6 yrs ago, but I do remind myself to be thankful that I've managed to deal with my pain in healthier ways. When I make unrealistic goals for myself and end up overdoing it, I just feel worse, so I look at what I can accomplish, like healthy pain management, and give myself a pat on the back. It takes a great amount of strength to deal with these diseases, and we should take pride in the how we handle them.

It's also good to remember that most people wouldn't hesitate to call in sick or cancel plans if they woke up and felt as sick as we do on a daily basis. We've learned to hide our pain from people so well that they often don't understand just how bad we feel. But we are ill, and we need to give ourselves permission to be sick. I'm not saying that we should crawl into bed and stay there, just that we need to stop feeling guilty about our limitations.

All of this is just a long way of saying that we need to accept how this has changed our lives. I fought it for years, but I finally realized that even if I went into remission tomorrow, I'd still never be the same person I was before I was sick. For me, accepting that I'm still of worth despite my limitations, and literally taking one day at a time, is what keeps me going. I don't know if this helps, everyone has their own way of dealing with sadness, but at least you know you're not alone. Support groups like the RBF are a big help, there's more support here than just for antibiotic information.

Maz
    Keymaster

Linda, that couldn't have been more beautifully and eloquently said! WOW – you're the dudette! :dude:

Peace, Maz

Roz
    Participant

Hi,

I hope these lines find your depression lifted for anyone their at all. I get depressed as well, which I think is ok at times but I don't stay their.

I kind of tell myself when I am down, the only way to go is up. When I do get down, I think hope. I see myself not what I should or what to be, but better than I was before ABX treatment. Because what this illness has taught me.

Just a thought, but when we get stronger and healthier, we will be alot better people in soo many more ways than before we got ill.

May all off your lives be blessed abundantly.

Love, Roz

suera
    Participant

Thanks guys, your advice is all appreciated. I do many of the things you say Linda…sometimes you just need to hear it out loud er.. read it from somebody else. We are strong people there is no doubt about that so if we have a blue day now and again well it'll run it's course as it always done. Sometimes it's just hard to remember that. You all are a great support.

linda
    Participant

Sue,

It also helps me to write it out, sometimes I need reminding. I guess it's true, there's strength in numbers!

Maz- I know a few people who might disagree with your description of how I express myself!-but I suppose that's one more thing this illnes has taught me. There was a time when I was still trying to keep up with the rest of the world, and failing, that my feelings came out, ummm, much louder! Altho I still think there had to be an easier way to teach me that lesson! There's a reason why there are so many support groups for those with chronic illnesses and their families.

Oh yeah, I'm down to 9 mg on the pred, but really feeling it. Of course I chose to go thru the worst of this during the holidays. I have the weirdest new symptom, the top of my feet hurt and there is swelling in the area just before the toes begin, but not in the part where the feet attach to the ankles or in the ankles, so it's not from fluid retention or poor circulation. If you've ever had something frozen fall out of your freezer and land on a bare foot, that's how it feels, in both feet. Has anyone ever had joints affected there?

Trudi
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Linda, that couldn't have been more beautifully and eloquently said! WOW – you're the dudette! :dude:

I agree, Linda–very well said.

Sue, I hope your blue days are few and short in duration!!!!

Has anyone ever had joints affected there?

Linda–

My toes don't hurt, but they feel numb–somewhat like frostbite.  They are getting better–it used to be much worse.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

MMW
    Participant

Hi Sue/ra and everyone,

If you are NOT on antidepressants, there is a much more NAUTURAL way that really does help with depression.   I have always been against antidepressants and feel they do more harm then damage. 

There is an excellent book that I highly recommend reading called:
    What your Doctor May NOT tell you about Depression by: Michael Schachter M.D.

Most often depression is a result of too little seratonin in the brain.  Serotonin is made from Tryptophan (an amino acid we get in food). This is because most of the Tryptophan receptors located in our stomach are messed up because of our illnesses.  Many people do not have proper absorbtion of vit. and minerals because of GI issues. And getting enough Tryptophan is  a problem.

I would encourage you to do research on the amino acid tryptophan and tryosine.
    You have to figure out what your body needs …more dopamine or more seratonin.  The book will explain this.

Most people use either 5HTP (a precurser to tryptophan) or the free form tryptophan to increase seratonin.  If you need more tryptophan you can try each one and see what works better.   They both do the same thing but it is an indivdual thing on which one you may like better.

You do not have to take this everyday to get this in your system.   For example, the other day I took my 100Mg of Minocycline for the 3rd time (new to AP) and about 6 hours later I had this enormous depression come over me.   It happened so fast.  I knew it had to be the medicine doing something.    I went and took 500MG tryptophan, laid down for about 45 minutes.  I kid you not, when I woke up…..it was gone. 

I have not used tryptophan a lot because I am more of a tryosine-needing person.  The extra dopamine supplies a more energy like happy disposition.  It amps you up just a bit.  The 5HTP or tryptophan is more for relaxing, less anxiety, less fears and better sleep.   

There is a very interesting story about how tryptophan was taken off the market back in the 90's.   More tryptophan was being sold than antidepressants and the big pharmo. co. were losing money.   You need to read the book to find out what you think about the story.  Anyhow, the only alternative for tryptophan was 5HTP up until just a couple of years ago when they have raised the ban on tryptophan.  You can now get it at health food stores once again.

My daughter has fibromyalgia.  When it was real bad, she would take her 5HTP in the AM and at the PM.   It always helped.    I have one son that gets kind of down now and then (maybe do to digestion problems?), and has problems sleeping sometime.  One 5HTP, will help him. 

The nice thing is that you only take it when you need it.   It does not have to be a daily thing, built up in your system like antidepressants do.  They do not  even work like antidepressants do mechanically or physiologically.   

It is harmless,  you get amino acids every day in food.   That is where they come from.   It might be worth a try.

Either way, I once again highly do recommend the book.

Hope this helps,

MMW

A Friend
    Participant

Sue,

This is a link that may be helpful.  Especially, go down to the heading: Anxiety and to Depression & Adrenal Function… and all the others are very interesting as well.

http://www.mgwater.com/benes.shtml

Best to you,

AF

A Friend
    Participant

Sue/RA, All,

Thought this paper — found while doing a search using search words:  “Vitamin A, Magnesium, and Inflammation” — was an unusually good one, and could further our understanding.

(I had previously found some pretty technical abstracts on the relationship between inflammation and a deficiency of Vitamin A and of Magnesium… and was looking for simpler-written information when I found the link/paper below.)

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/vitamin_deficiency.html

If you find time to explore it,  I believe the information can further our understanding of our chronic illnesses and the many problems we experience from the cascade of things that then happen.

Have a wonderful HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone! 

AF

m.
    Participant

[user=64]sue/ra[/user] wrote:

that is a byproduct of these wonderful auto-immune diseases….any suggestions?:(

It sucks doesn't it? It WILL get better.

Other things to try in addition to AP for the RA:

Thyroid. Make sure your TSH is good–around 1. And your Free T3 is in the upper part of the range.

Sex hormones. Test by saliva, and make sure they are balanced.

GI test. Make sure you don't have a fungal infection, or severe bacteria imbalance, or gluten intolerance which may be contributing to low mood.

Diet. Make sure you are eating enough. Many people avoid fat and calories in order to maintain their weight. This can slow down your thyroid, and negatively affect mood. See The Diet Cure by Julia Ross.

Hang in there!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ coping with depression’ is closed to new replies.