Home Forums General Discussion coconut oil

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Michelle, LOVE the pic of your Mom!! Every time you post a pic of her she looks so much better – she's a miracle in motion! Did you have a nice vacation?

Peace, Maz

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Michelle, LOVE the pic of your Mom!! Every time you post a pic of her she looks so much better – she's a miracle in motion! Did you have a nice vacation?

Peace, Maz

Thank you Maz!  We think so too!  I'm a picture taking fanatic, I think it's important for prosperity and for looking back at her progress.  My blackberry takes great pictures.  I posted some on the Post Your Picture thread also.

My little vacation was heavenly…no rain, beautiful weather, no oil and so relaxing!  I wish I could go back!  Thank you for remembering and for asking!   You are such a doll!

You doing ok??  I sure hope so!

Keep cool…don't know about you but it's hot as Hades here.

Blessings,
    Michelle

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1335]mkbeeliever[/user] wrote:

I need to figure out how to get it into our diet. 

Hi Michelle–

My doctor's nurse suggested it (the flavored) in coffee and to spread it on toast instead of butter.  Both worked very well for me.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Michou;
         I figured I had better take a quick look at the computer before starting supper as I have been waiting for a message telling me that my chopped coconut bark will be shipped so that I can finish potting up a few more thousand plants.Saw this message and had a giggle,now you see what a vesitile thing a coconut is.
       Aynurr is so right in what she said.I bet your mom had to take cod liver oil as a kid,I know I sure did ,so she should find coconut oil just great in comparison.If she really does not like it just run down to an Asian grocery store and get the cream.It is just about as good as candy.The one I use in Thai cooking is mostly cream with finely shredded coconut and is very concentrated.It comes in a box he size of a fat chocolate bar and I could wolf it down before ever getting it into the wok.Then I add a can of coconut milk,a good curry powder with  a nice dose of clove in it to simmer the veggies,shrimp or other meat.Lots of great Thai recepies online.
        I eat a ton of coconut products but never managed to get over 104lb.
                            XXXX

Maz
    Keymaster

My little vacation was heavenly…no rain, beautiful weather, no oil and so relaxing! 

Michelle, I'm doing great – thanks for asking! 😀

Your vacation sounds like it was blissful and very much deserved, too.

We've had some pretty humid days here, too, though I'm sure not the hellishly hot hades you're experiencing down south. We had a tornado pull thru, though, last week that caused a state of emergency in a town called, Bridgeport, close-by….just took a drive thru the area today and there were endless trees – huge ones – uprooted all along the roadsides. This week is supposed to be nice and sunny and I'm a sun-lizard, so LOVE it and may be taking some time out to soak up some rays….but so far the summer here in CT has been pretty changeable with lots of rain and thunder storms.

Stay cool!

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Hello all!  Resurrecting this thread…
    I just purchased some Organic Coconut Oil and have a question:  Everything I've read states that people lose weight when taking the 3 tablespoons per day.  Mom can't afford to lose any more weight but me…I definitely can – what have you all noticed with regards to weight loss?  I know it boosts metabolism.  Hoping it will aid in absorption and digestion for her but not make her drop weight.

Hey Michelle,

I haven't noticed any weight changes that I can attribute to coconut oil, but I can say my skin looks better.

You can use it like you would butter or oil when cooking.  I use it for stir-frying veggies, etc., just about a tablespoon or so.  I also use a little for scrambled eggs.  There are also some excellent recipes using coconut flour.

And, if you find a way to loose weight drinking pina-coladas, do share. :roll-laugh:

Take care…..kim

Kim
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Hi Michelle–

My doctor's nurse suggested it (the flavored) in coffee and to spread it on toast instead of butter.  Both worked very well for me.

Take care,

Trudi

Trudi,

Is there flavored coconut oil?  If so, this is news to me.  How does it taste?  Generally, at least in my opinion, added flavors always taste chemical-ly. 😕  Americans are really bad at messing with things, probably why we're all so screwed up. :doh:  I mean, really, take a great cup of coffee and ruin it with flavorings, 😯 or take a fine (as God intended) piece of cheesecake and put a topping on it. 😯  What is this world coming to????? :roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

Hope you're feeling better.

Take care…..kim

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Hi Michelle–

Take care,

Trudi

Thank you Trudi!!! :roll-laugh:  I will try it!  I look at 3 tbsp and think…wow, that's a lot of oil…I will sneak it in somehow.

Another thing that is pretty cool is I have heard that Coconut Macaroons help people with Crohn's or Colitis.  My brother has BAD Crohn's and as I was researching the Coconut Oil, I now know why some people get better by eating 2 Coconut Macaroons per day…crazy!  I told him about it and of course he's being pig headed about the suggestion.  I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
    :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
    :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Blessings,
    Michelle

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Hey Michelle,

I haven't noticed any weight changes that I can attribute to coconut oil, but I can say my skin looks better.

You can use it like you would butter or oil when cooking.  I use it for stir-frying veggies, etc., just about a tablespoon or so.  I also use a little for scrambled eggs.  There are also some excellent recipes using coconut flour.

And, if you find a way to loose weight drinking pina-coladas, do share. :roll-laugh:

Take care…..kim

Great suggestions Kimmy!  Thank you!  I will do the eggs, toast and sneak it in wherever possible!

Blessings,
    Michelle

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey Michou;
        Good luck at sneaking it into mom's food.It tastes just like the coconut but a bit more concentrated.I'll bet you can't fool her.

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hey Michou;
        Good luck at sneaking it into mom's food.It tastes just like the coconut but a bit more concentrated.I'll bet you can't fool her.

Nope, she'll know when I do it!  She has a crazy palette.  I made home made marinara sauce today.  Cooked it all day long…added a little red pepper flakes, not too much –  very little…not even a 1/4 teaspoon as I know she can't do spicy hot food.  I could barley feel the heat and her mouth was on fire.  I felt so bad.  I took some out of the pot, diluted it with water a bit and doctored it up.  She said it was much better.  I thought the sauce was the best I've ever made.  Her, not so much.  Her tongue is very sensitive.  Things burn it that are acidic or vinegary like salad dressing, sauces etc.

So when am I going to see some pictures of the wedding Miss Lynne??  I hope you are doing good!  I have been worried about your herxing.  I hope the worst has passed!  xxoo  Michou

JBJBJB
    Participant

Hello all!  Resurrecting this thread…
    I just purchased some Organic Coconut Oil and have a question:  Everything I've read states that people lose weight when taking the 3 tablespoons per day.  Mom can't afford to lose any more weight but me…I definitely can – what have you all noticed with regards to weight loss?  I know it boosts metabolism.  Hoping it will aid in absorption and digestion for her but not make her drop weight.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Blessings,
    Michelle & Kathy

Michelle,

I noticed your mom's skin is really dark. Is this related to Minocyclin tan? Was she this dark before she was on mino? Knowing her previous ivory skin color, I am wondering if this color has something to do with kidney?

My skin color is also dark, darker than when I was healthy. I don't know if you have read it that I have free protein S deficiency. one of the symptoms is dark skin. The Dr. C told me my darker skin could be hormone related, too.

Have your mom tested protein S and protein C deficiency?

Just curious.

JBJBJB
    Participant

I made home made marinara sauce today. 

Michelle,

I am not here to diagnose your mom's skin color. Sorry if I sounded like it. If your mom's skin turned this dark AFTER she was on minocyclin, perhaps night shade veggies like tomato could make the skin darker. Correct me if I am wrong.

I took vitamin C and avoided night shade veggies when I was on minocyclin. I am still very dark but the tan is different color now since I have stopped minocyclin.

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

I made home made marinara sauce today. 

Michelle,

I am not here to diagnose your mom's skin color. Sorry if I sounded like it. If your mom's skin turned this dark AFTER she was on minocyclin, perhaps night shade veggies like tomato could make the skin darker. Correct me if I am wrong.

I took vitamin C and avoided night shade veggies when I was on minocyclin. I am still very dark but the tan is different color now since I have stopped minocyclin.

JB, I know you just care…believe me!  If you recall you and I have had several conversations about this subject, one being in a private email about your questions regarding her skin color.  So, I know you just are trying to help! 

We talked about how scleroderma can cause skin darkening and pigmentation issues…and we talked about kidney dialysis people having dark skin.

Look at this video, this is the “look” my mom has with her skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3x8xq-w0Y

In all my research on systemic sclero, people's skin can get dark or light.  Hyper or Hypo pigmentation is a symptom.  In the case of my friend Ayanna, she was african american and her skin had pigmentation problems also – darker in some spots and lighter in some.  On all of the places my mother's skin had started to harden (face, chest, top of her arms and hands, back of her upper legs, around her collar and neck) she is darker.

THE GOOD NEWS is that every day it gets better.  Slowly but surely it is getting better.  Underneath that mottled dirty looking skin is a mino tan.  And that mottled dirty looking skin is going away.

So…regarding Protein S deficiency, maybe we might take a look at that, maybe not.  Bottom line is she feels good.  We do not care what color her skin is.  We are not worried about it.  She kinda even likes it.  People are always complimenting her on her tan.

Please don't read this next paragraph in any negative way toward you at all…you know I love you and appreciate any ideas…but, regarding night shade, afternoon shade, morning shade…what ever shade…I know I might take a beating here about her diet.  That is one thing she has not changed.  And, frankly, I am just grateful she is holding her weight and not losing and having absorption issues.  She has a great appetite and we've tackled some of her gut issues.  We are thanking God.  She just wants to eat and to enjoy her food.  She has been through hell and back and if she wants a little tomato, then by God, she's going to have it.  And if she wants a piece of cake…she's going to have that too.  Until she says she wants to do an elimination diet or get off of something I'm not going to push her.  I bring it up quite often.

Thank you for looking out for my mom, you are so dear to me!

Blessings,
    Michelle

Trudi
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Is there flavored coconut oil? 

Hi Kim–

This is the coconut oil that I got from the LLMD's office.  I think when there is no coconut taste, the taste has been removed–

As with other Virgin Coconut Oils, this oil retains the scent and taste of coconuts.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil2.htm

I don't use much coconut oil right now–it increases my pain.  Someone posted that coconut oil is inflammatory–I checked it out and sure enough.  My guess, however, is that it is inflammatory because it helps in the killing of viruses, bugs, etc.–same as when one takes abx.  We do cook with it, pop popcorn with it–I just don't use it in my coffee and on my toast anymore.

My “person” is feeling real good–my legs give me a lot of grief.  When we go somewhere, my husband pushes me in a wheelchair to avoid the walking :crying:.  Just saw the doctor last week and he would like to see me on Ketek.  I started a thread for opinions, the drug has significan risks per Dr. B, Lyme guru, so for the moment I'm sitting tight and doing lots of research.  I'm also having my oxalic acid checked.  It inhibits the absorption of calcium, which I have been having problems with and which could be causing the leg pain.  There is a lot of information in this pdf–

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/brochures/OAT%20Oxalates.pdf

When I read this under the article Oxalates and Autism

[align=left]

“…he walked better, and had a reduction in leg and feet pain after being on a low oxalate diet. Prior to the low oxalate diet, her child could hardly walk up the stairs. After the diet, he walked up the stairs very easily.” [/align]
    –I figured this one is definitely worth a try.  I'm having the OAT (organic acid) test done through the Great Plains Laboratory–it checks quite a bit including CoQ10 levels which my doctor also wants to see.  Hopefully we'll get some answers.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘ coconut oil’ is closed to new replies.