Home Forums General Discussion "Clean gums could help alleviate joint pain"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne
    Participant

Interesting video from newscast:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/health&id=7872224

Goes along with the oral bacteria trial.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Very interesting report. Good reporting in Philadelphia.

Suzanne
    Participant

I found the abstract that flashes on the screen in the video:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19335072

“Periodontal therapy reduces the severity of active rheumatoid arthritis in patients treated with or without tumor necrosis factor inhibitors.”

CONCLUSIONS: Non-surgical periodontal therapy had a beneficial effect on the signs and symptoms of RA, regardless of the medications used to treat this condition. Anti-TNF-alpha therapy without periodontal treatment had no significant effect on the periodontal condition.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

This was done at Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio.

APbeliever
    Participant

Before I started having RA pains, dentist had performed a root planning of my gums and teeth since he found periodontal disease. I started using xylitol gum after every meal a few weeks ago and felt an immediate relief in RA pains . Dr Mercola has also mentioned Xylitol on his web page.

mkay
    Participant

APbeliever–what brand of gum are you chewing?! Just curious since different brands show a wide range in the amount of xylitol they contain.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’d be interested too. I checked at vitacost and they have 2 brands.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

A friend said her biologig dentist sells the xylitol gum.

APbeliever
    Participant

http://www.vitacost.com/Xlear-Spry-Gum-Spearmint. This is the one I tried made by Spry and I also use the same brand name toothpaste also. I also tried Trident xylitol available at the local walgreens store. Its good too for those who want to try xylitol without paying vitacost shipping fee. Don’t know the quanity of xylitol in each but all have been equally effective for me.

APbeliever
    Participant

FYI, I chew 15~20 packs a day and my mouth feels clean and I have no gum inflammation whatosever now.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

15-20 packs or sticks? 100 in a pack, I think.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I think the vitacost cost is lower if you order several even with shipping and if you buy at Good Shop ay GoodSearch RB will get a donation.

Patti D
    Participant

I’ve never heard of this gum. Is it used for inflammation , joint pain or as a way to ‘keep the gums clean”
    Thanks for your response. This interests me as well as I had a no.7 pocket on one tooth from a recent crown/root canal and recently had a root planning and gum graft done on that tooth. I am really being careful with the oral hygiene and following the periodontist care plan to the tee.
    I am amazed at another correlation between bacteria and RA. It is still hard to believe that some doctors still don’t see why mino works 🙄

Patti

Valsmum
    Participant

I use Toms of Maine toothpaste, without flouride, and it contains xylitol . I just thought I would mention it to you since you like gum with xylitol.I will definately try some of the gum you mentioned and see if it helps me too.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’ve been chewing Spry xylitol cinnamon gum again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.