Home Forums General Discussion chlorine in water

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Eva Holloway
    Participant

Hello Maz,

As you know I have this skin problems with my hands. I have worn rubber cloves in the shower so I would not have too much a problem after I tried myself. So I was talking to my physical therapist and she told me to get a showerhead that takes the chlorine and dirt out of the water, she bought hers at Home Depot. So today I went and bought a showerhead, my husband installed it and now I hope it will help with my Dermatomyositis on my hands. The chlorine was making a mess of it. 🙁

When I went to Las Vegas to visit my son over Thanksgiving I used his jacuzzi and for a week my hands looked like someone had taken a knife to them. Even the good lotions did not work well. I finally bought some Manuka honey healing lotion and it does help. I had to mix it with Vanicream (compounding cream) because it is very sticky, almost like honey itself. seems to help. I am still using the Manuka honey and I did get the stronger stuff which cost a little more.

I have a friend in Australia and they have a hard time buying the honey. She said they have to pay 90 Dollars, it is from New Zealand, that's where I get mine from. Wonder why that is so high for them. 😯

Take care, I will let you know on the result of the showerhead.

Eva

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Eva,

So sorry to hear your hands are so cracked…must be terribly sore. My daughter who is 17 is a competitive swimmer and, being in the chlorinated pool for a couple hours every day, she gets very thick, dry, cracked and bleeding skin on her feet. The doc originally thought it was trench foot, like the Vietnam vets would get from being in wet socks and boots in the jungles for days on end. It's not that, though, and she has to use a salicylic acid cream her dermatologist prescribed…I'll have to check the bottle, but I think that is what it is (my memory is not all it was)…basically the same stuff they put in compound W to burn warts off. This is to soften the skin on her feet and clear up the dry, peeling. It works, but takes a few weeks to kick in after swim season starts. Regular as clockwork, though, her soles clear up between seasons and then break out in this dry, thick, cracked skin within a week or so of being back in the pool. I know how she hurts, so I can only imagine how you must hurt. :crying:

Have you also tried hot paraffin baths for your hands? I wonder if your doc might think these would help. My hubby bought me a Dr Scholl's version from Walmart for about $30 and it's wonderfully soothing for aching joints, but also softens and coats the hands with an oily substance from the paraffin. Beauty salons offer these and they're quite an expensive luxury when you pay their prices. My hand therapist also used them on me before she had me doing hand exercises at my physical therapy sessions and advised that I get one. This gadget, though, is pretty nice and very easy to set up and use. They supply 4 blocks of paraffin wax to get started and then you have to re-order from them when you need refills. This might be helpful and is pretty benign, but I think I'd check with the doc, first, to be sure the wax won't do anything to harm your dermatomyositis. 😉

Peace, Maz

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maz,

I have the parafin bath but if you have cracked skin and it bleeds you are not supposed to use it. :crying: I do use it when my hands are just yuck looking.

You know your daughter could also use the parafin  bath on her feet. I bought mine at Walgreens pharmacy and they also have the parafin, so when I run low or want to exchange the parafin for fresh on I get it at Walgreens.

I tried the stuff from the dermatologist and it burnt my hands and feet so after a period of time I gave up on using it.

Take care,

Eva 🙂

Eva Holloway

Parisa
    Participant

Eva,

My husband has dermatomyositis and has had issues with the hands.  We tried so many things – we also did the paraffin in the beginning.  The shower head sounds like a great idea – the less toxins we're exposed to the better!  Do you wear gloves to protect your hands?  They'll help keep them warm and protect you from irritating the skin by bumping into things.  Hopefully, the longer you treat the better they will get.  My husband's hands are perfect yet but they are much, much better than they were before he started treatment.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Parisa,

yes, I do wear white cotton cloves and many times I slather my hands with lotion before I put the cotton cloves on.  Then I wear them all day. I even knit with them. I have about 12 pairs of white cloves.

For showering I am using rubber cloves, the doctor said no latex.

I purchased some Manuka Honey and Monuka Honey Lotion and I use it the lotion for my hands. It seems to help. Order it from New Zealand

As I said I use the parafin bath only when my hands are not like the butcher  got a hold of them.

Stay well,

Eva

Maz,

how do you put all that info on the bottom of your e-mail so I don't have to put it on there?

Eva

Eva Holloway

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Eva – jumping in to help you here. Click on My Account above right. When the tabs come up to the left, click on the one that says Profile. Your profile will then come up. In the box marked Signature you can fill in those details (diagnosis, what abx regime you're on, since when, etc etc. ). Those details will then come up at the foot of each post each time you post. And if you want to change them at any time, just follow the above steps again. Lynnie

P.S. If you want to upload a digital photo of yourself, click on the tab marked Avatar, click Browse, then upload your chosen pic from your files. Alternatively, you can choose another avatar (digital image) to use.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, I updated my profile and will add a picture when hubby sends one to my laptop. the only one I have right now of me napping in a chair in a hotel when we were on a singing tour up NW (Seattle, Victoria BC, Portland, OR etc.)

Eva

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

Lynnie – thanks for hopping in with the explanation!

Eva – thanks for the heads up about using the paraffin bath for feet, too. My daughter worked that one out for herself! I walked into the family room the other day and she had propped herself on the sofa to study with oven mitts on her feet!!!!!!!! :roll-laugh: She's a case, honestly.

Sorry the idea for the baths won't work for you while you're hands are so cut up like this…I'll put it out there for you that the manuka honey lotion will do the trick.

Peace, Maz

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maz,

I am going to Desert Hot Springs in California on February 20 and stay at a Spa resort place that has mineral water . They have four pools that they do not use chlorine in it, so guess what I will be doing, Sit in the nice running mineral pool and try to get rid of some of the impurities of my body. We will stay there forfour days.

Desert Hot Springs is not very far away from Dr. F. in Riverside.

We just found out that we had a new grandson this week, that is also why we are going to Desert Hot Springs, our daughter lives there plus my husbands mother and brother and we will celebrate hubby's birthday that week. 😀

Sometimes we don't realize our kids use their head for something more than watching the tv:roll-laugh: your daughter probably will enjoy the parafin bath for here feet more often and it is healthier for here than that lotion.

Take care,

Eva

Eva Holloway

orchid
    Participant

For anyone having skin issues…eczema related, etc, I definitely recommend the Manuka honey.

I had very mild eczema (not itchy just bumps) on a few fingers and purchased some Manuka honey lotion on Amazon.com — well it cleared it all up!

It came back again recently (mild again) only because I ran out of it and stopped using it. So, I purchased some more and I know it will be gone in no time.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Orchid,'

I am using the lotion on my hands and they are a mess, so it probably will take awhile before it is all healed up. I am also eating the Manuka Honey with every meal. I also make a drink with warm water and lemon and honey, supposed to help.

:DEva:D

Eva Holloway

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Eva – these people (link below) seem to have the Manuka Honey for a lot less than your friend is paying, though I know price relates to the percentage of UMF – Unique Manuka Factor – in it.

http://www.vitaminme.com.au/site/page.cfm?u=26&s=shopProductInfo&t=shopProductInfo&productId=9098&gclid=CIbDsf2xppgCFQwxawodXxWLlQ

Also, this piece has an interesting description about Manuka Honey, in that it contains an enzyme which produces, you guessed it, Hydrogen Peroxide!!! Fascinates me when we find so many things that are linked! Lynnie

http://www.cityclinic.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=107

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Eva, hope your trip to CA is a lovely one – wow! So many things to cover – a Dr F visit, a birthday, some blissful spa treatments and best of all, seeing your extended family, and maybe best of all, your daughter and new grandbaby!!!!!!!! Congrats on the new arrival and have a wonderful trip, Eva!!!!

Peace, Maz

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Lynnie,

since you are in Australia can you get the honey for less? I  send this link to my friend in Yarloop, WA. she probably will like it. She also has Dermatomyositis.:D

Maz,

thank you for all your help, I will be writing back soon, keep me informed on things with RA, Dermatomyositis and if someone gives some interesting info out on Ankylosing Spondlitis.

It's hard to fight several of these arthritis problems, with one you can't do this and with the other one you can't do that and the third one extra physical therapy and a total food change. I will try hard not to eat the wrong foods.

Check into Wheat Grass. It supposed to be good food for your body. I have been reading up on it since this Chinese lady told me about it. Looks very interesting.

Both of you stay well.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Hi,

I have SD but my hands do the SAME thing it is horrible! My Naturopath told me to get one of those shower heads that you were told to get I am going to be purchasing one, let me kno how you like it 🙂 I use alot of Burt's Bees products that seems to help a little plus wearing gloves during dishes etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ chlorine in water’ is closed to new replies.