Home Forums General Discussion Changing tetracycline

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dunlop321
    Participant

I’m on brand of of minocycline called Minocin. It is produced by Mylan in Ireland.

I had a flare in October 2018 and another once since early July 2019 that is being managed by taking anti inflams. I’m beginning to thing that Minocin isn’t working for me at the moment. I’m on this brand for a number of years.

Do people usually change brands every few year? If so can you recommend one in Ireland or UK?

Spiffy1

I know someone will chime in with more knowledge than me but as far as what I know Minocin is what everyone would love to get their hands on at the moment. Minocin is the brand name and not a generic. It is supposed to be superior in many ways even though many of us do well on generics. Anyway, yes, I have heard that some people who are not staying stable after a time of about five years or so might do well to mix things up a bit. Also, you may ask your doctor to check you for DILE which is drug induced lupus. Minocyclene is one of the many drugs that can cause this problem in susceptible individuals. If your bloodwork checks out okay, then maybe your physician may want to increase your dosage if you are on the lowest maintenance dose or possibly add a second antibiotic or switch antibiotics entirely for awhile. I do hope your AP doctor has dealt with cases like yours and will be able to navigate for you. Please let us know how it goes for you. We wish you well!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

I’m not sure what most people usually do, but Dr. Brown would rotate antibiotics every four to five years. How much Minocin have you been taking?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Dunlop321
    Participant

Hi Phil,

I’ve been taking 100mg 5 times a week of a generic called Minocin for c.3 years. I’ve now changed to another generic called Minocil. Both are minocycline. All together I’m on minicycline in some form since Jan 2014.

Where Dr Brown says rotate, does he mean change generic or move away from Minocycline to another antibiotic?

Dunlop321
    Participant

Thanks Spiffy. In Ireland, where I am, Minocin is just another generic. Interesting thought on possibly changing antibiotic. Are you suggesting just changing generic?

PhilC
    Participant

Where Dr Brown says rotate, does he mean change generic or move away from Minocycline to another antibiotic?

A different antibiotic, like clarithromycin.

I’ve been taking 100mg 5 times a week of a generic called Minocin for c.3 years.

That being the case, there’s another option to consider — increase your dose of minocycline. Now that he’s retired, I don’t know if Dr. S. still replies (via email) to questions sent to him. But, based on his replies to other forum members, I can tell you that he would most likely advise you (if you asked him) to increase your dose of minocycline to 100 mg twice a day, every day. So there’s another option to consider discussing with your doctor. Also, if your doctor doesn’t want you taking mino every day, perhaps you could compromise and take it it six days a week instead of five.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Dunlop,

See FAQ #30

Can you share your rheumatic disease type? Have you been screened for DILE or do you feel certain this is just a flare? How do your labs look compared to baseline?

If you have a copy of the book, Brown describes how he treated flares in patients with long-standing RA (see Carol Lange’s story). AP isn’t immune-suppressive so won’t prevent flares. They should, however, become less frequent, less intense, and shorter in duration over time. If not, it’s time to go back to the drawing board. E.g., discuss having a round of IV clindamycin with treating doc and/or adding secondary oral abx, adjusting dose, re-assess lifestyle issues (stress, diet, exercise, etc), check hormones (e.g., thyroid, adrenals, gender-specific) hormones, etc), check generic brand hasn’t been switched, consider detoxing methods (FAQs and book worth re-reading for more info.

Dunlop321
    Participant

Hi Maz

Thanks for you reply. I didn’t realise that AP didn’t prevent flares.

I haven’t been screened for dile, but will mention to my Rheumy in October. I think it is a flare however. The pains are less sharp since mid last week thank god. Taking a few anti inflams each week to keep under control.

I have had blood results back from late August. My RA factor has continued to decline to 34. My Anti CCp has increased to 117 vs 37 in April 2018, while my ESR has increased to 14 vs 11 in Apr 2019.

As for a change in generics, my pharmacist has insisted there has been no change. She even ran the pharmaceutical company to confirm. I’m on a version on minocycline made by a different company now.

I have sero positive RA.

Dunlop321
    Participant

Thanks Phil.

I have mailed Dr S and will let you know of any response.

pattylu
    Participant

I have been on Mino in (or a foreign BRAND of minocycline) since 2006, when first diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Yep, thirteen years. I started with generics, which worked fine for about three years, suddenly the same generic brand Hills were a different shade of pink, and just were not working as well, and I’d have breakthrough flares. So I switched to the brand,Minocin. Worked great until the brand was sold and formula changed, along with price quadrupling. Went to online Canadian pharmacy, got brand Minocin from Pfizer until discontinued. Since then have used Minomycin, Minoz, and for past three years Aknemin. AKNEMIN has been the best. Sometimes hard to get (comes from UK). I take one 100mg capsule M-W-F. I discovered after an outpatient surgery, when all that was available was generic minocycline a few years back, that the AZITHROMYCIN used totally stopped breakthrough flares for about two weeks! I found that taking minocycline daily, 100 mg, plus azithromycin on Tues and Thurs, 250 mg, kept me free of flares. My Dr said that the Azithromycin might be problematic if used for a long time. Fortunately, after a few months, the brand Mino in (Aknemin) was once again available. So I keep generic azithromycin on hand as a backup in case needed if I have to fall back on the less bio-available generic minocycline. That is what works for me. Tried Doxy generic about a year after starting…my Dr thought it might be gentler on my system…but it didn’t work well for me. Haven’t tried clindamycin…

Dunlop321
    Participant

Thanks Pattylu. Your emails was so helpful. After I read it I found a pharmacist who was able to sort a generic called Acmino. I had been on this in the past whilst in the UK. I am on it again for the past 4 days, and already feel like I have more energy. Fingers crossed this will help me get back on track. But again, thank you so much, this is one of the reasons this forum is so helpful.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.