Home Forums General Discussion "CDC Admits Lyme Rate Is 1000% Higher Than Expected"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne
    Participant

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/08/20/cdc-admits-lyme-rate-is-1000-higher-than-expected/

“The CDC is catching up with something that patients have known for a long time, ie, that Lyme disease is more common than most health professionals have realized.
    This week the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed that roughly 300,000 Americans catch Lyme disease each year, ten times more than it had previously suspected. Until now, patients and doctors were told that there were about 30,000 cases a year. But Paul Mead, M.D., M.P.H., chief of epidemiology and surveillance for the CDC’s Lyme disease program, now admits:
    “We know that routine surveillance only gives us part of the picture, and that the true number of illnesses is much greater. This new preliminary estimate confirms that Lyme disease is a tremendous public health problem in the United States, and clearly highlights the urgent need for prevention.””

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

richie
    Participant

Hi—The tick bite also appears to be morphing –A friend of mine got a tick bite that produced a huge red area around his torso along with a high fever which required massive doses of antibiotics to bring under control —I also saw on TV about a new virus that killed someone that came from a tick bite -at this point there is no treatment –Scary —I think prevention is attainable —Common sense where we walk and most importantly constant tick prevention on our pets –which is the most common source of the tick —
    richie

Eileen
    Participant

Richie, Here’s the link to what I think you’re referring to.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Poughkeepsie-Teenager-Dies-Tick-Virus-Investigation-Joseph-Elone-220270481.html

Much all over the news this week about Lyme.

Eileen

Suzanne
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Hi—The tick bite also appears to be morphing –A friend of mine got a tick bite that produced a huge red area around his torso along with a high fever which required massive doses of antibiotics to bring under control —I also saw on TV about a new virus that killed someone that came from a tick bite -at this point there is no treatment –Scary —I think prevention is attainable —Common sense where we walk and most importantly constant tick prevention on our pets –which is the most common source of the tick —
    richie

It seems like lice are out of control, too. I’m sure kids got them when I was in school, but I never remember knowing about it. I still live in the same area, and lice has been rampant in every school my daughters have attended, from preschool to middle school. Knock wood, we have been spared, but we aren’t friends with a single family who have never had lice! There is a cottage industry of people who will come to your house and pick the nits out of your kids’ hair.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

@Eileen wrote:

Much all over the news this week about Lyme.

Eileen

I’ve noticed the same thing!

Maz
    Keymaster

@richie wrote:

richie

Hi Richie,

The problem with EM rashes from Lyme disease is that conventional medicine only looks for what is believed to be “the classic” bulls-eye rash. LLMDs have been saying for a very long time that EM rashes may not be typical, at all, and in fact that most are a-typical, if a person gets one, at all (half won’t or don’t see one). Of course, it’s easier to diagnose if it is a classic bulls-eye, but when it’s not, Lyme shouldn’t be ruled out if all the signs and symptoms otherwise point to it. This is one of the biggest problems faced by Lyme patients, myself, included.

I had two bulls-eye rashes and they were oval in shape, about 5 or 6 inches in diameter across and 3 or 4 inches the other way. It is pretty concerning to look back now and to think that my GP had no idea what he was looking at and he decided not to rx doxy until I got a positive ELISA…well-known that this test is unreliable, especially in the early stages. Bottom line, I was harmed by a physician in CT – Lyme Central – who was ignorant about what he was actually looking at! Had he been more educated, prevention (i.e. not progressing to chronic stage) in my case may have been attainable!

So, even when all preventative measures are taken to avoid tick bites as well as going to the doc when you have bulls-eye from a tick bite you never saw, it may still not work out to the patient’s benefit if the doc has no clue what he’s looking at, because he’s been told it has to be “classic” in appearance.

Here is a link to some Lyme rashes, many of which look a-typical (my tick rashes looked like the one in the guy’s armpit, second row, far right on the rows of pics):

http://www.lyme.org/gallery/rashes.html

Eileen
    Participant

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130824/NEWS/308249858
    Lyme disease health alert issued. Headline news in local newspaper.

Yes. What a fantastic week it’s been with Lyme media. This mother’s story reminds me so much of my oldest son’s search for a diagnosis.

Let’s hope the positive spin continues. 😉

Eileen

Suzanne
    Participant

More from The People’s Pharmacy:
    http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/09/05/is-there-such-a-thing-as-chronic-lyme-disease-or-is-it-all-a-conspiracy/

“Why Does the Medical Establishment Get Defensive About Chronic Lyme Disease?”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.