Home Forums General Discussion Cause of Crohn's May Have Been Identified

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Some great Crohn’s disease research, looking at the gut microbiome, is pointing to an overgrowth of a particular bacteria and fungus, working in tandem, holed up in biofilm, and creating an inflammatory response that results in systemic symptoms.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2968985/researchers-may-have-found-the-cause-of-crohns-disease/?sf37230267=1

Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting and weight loss as well as anemia and fatigue.

Additional symptoms of Crohn’s include arthritis.

Doctors have been unable to determine why people contract the disease. It was often thought to be an autoimmune disease, but newer research suggested that the inflammation was caused by the immune system attacking particular bacteria.

They looked at both bacteria and fungi in fecal samples and found an interaction between two types of bacteria — Escherichia coli and Serratia marcescens —and the fungus Candida tropicalis. The interaction was higher than that found in their disease-free relatives.

When the bacteria join with the fungus, it forms a biofilm, which then can trigger inflammation and further symptoms of Crohn’s.

Wonderful news Maz. for those suffering. feel they will eventually find most of these severe illnessnes involve a certain type of bacteria. Fungi is a real problem with everyone Most Doctors’ just do not seem to realise. I have to jump up and down to get a script if I need additional help, other than the carb soda and GSE. Of course there are many types of fungi
    Your knowledge of all the names is amazing. I feel as though my brain just does not work any more, with the pain.
    my particulars are not up to date but will attend to it soon. I am now on Lyica 150 mg for the pain to get me off the opiates, however I now can hardly move without them & the added cold snap 4 deg at night. All the best to you Maz.

Linda L
    Participant

Red Hill Pharma…. I think it’s a final stage of RHB 104.

http://www.redhillbio.com/crohns-disease

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.