Home Forums General Discussion Can't Tolerate Minocycline

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Hi.

Have just recently started minocycline again. I started with 100mg 1 time per day. The pain increased exponentially and a new thing came along; depression. I backed off to every other day. Not feeling much better. Background info: chronic Lyme that was treated and felt really good for 5 yrs or so. Hit the wall in 2014 and subsequently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and probably RA. Has anyone felt worse when starting the treatment or had newly onset depression? Would love to have a copy of Dr. Brown’s book but can’t find one for less than $50. Any feedback is welcome.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Hi Shannon,
    This is an equally good book on the topic that is much cheaper https://www.amazon.com/New-Arthritis-Breakthrough-Fibromyalgia-Inflammatory-ebook/dp/B009D16PHO
    You can get it on Kindle or get a used copy.

Let me know if you have any trouble getting the book! I have a few other options as well.

It is very normal to feel worse when you start antibiotics. You can read up on this in the FAQ https://www.roadback.org/faqs/?faq-category=35 – click number 20. I’ll paste it here for you as well.

Shortly after commencing AP, patients may experience a Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, commonly referred to as a “herx.” This is the name given to the paradoxical worsening of disease symptoms, caused by increased levels of circulating endotoxins released by dying pathogens. This phenomenon was first described by dermatologists, Adolf Jarisch and Karl Herxheimer, when treating syphilis patients with mercury, Salvarsan, and antibiotics. A herx often presents with flu-like symptoms and can include fever, headache, chills, joint and muscle pain, exacerbation of skin rashes, skin flushing, increased heart rate, hyperventilation and low blood pressure. The herx response may begin within hours of starting AP or days/weeks later. The degree of intensity seems to correlate with pre-existing levels of inflammation, pathogen load, the body’s ability to eliminate (detoxify) the antigenic substances produced by dying microbes and antibiotic dosing levels. A herx may be transitory, lasting only hours or days or, in some instances, may continue for a longer period of time in waxing and waning cycles of weeks or even months. Although this reaction is certainly uncomfortable, it is a good sign that the antibiotic is reaching its intended target. Patient experience has demonstrated that there are various detoxification strategies that can help to relieve these symptoms (see FAQ #21) by flushing bacterial endotoxins more swiftly from the body.

I definitely felt worse and depressed in the early stages of AP. It gets better if you can stick with the antibiotics and get through it. Hang in there!

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Spiffy1

I just looked it up on Amazon Prime. The New Arthritis Breakthrough was $8.49. You scared me! I let a friend borrow mind and she does not know where it is. I have been meaning to reorder. But these paperbacks are plentiful and affordable.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I took felt worse before I felt better. Also for me, depression precedes a flare. I had to start with an ultra low dose…in fact, I took doxy for a year before minocycline…and I can’t remember if I took 10mg or 20mg…it was an ultra low dose. I saw far greater improvement with minocycline but what worked for me was and is 100mg every other day. For me, more is not better. Have you talked with your doctor about how you are feeling and your reaction? They really should know if you are feeling worse and especially if you are going through depression. Also make sure to read the FAQ’s on this website and the Herxheimer reaction….but do please talk with your doctor, ok?

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.