Home Forums General Discussion "Can You Trust Foreign-Made Generic Medicines?"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne
    Participant

From The People’s Pharmacy:
    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/03/13/can-you-trust-foreign-made-generic-medicines/

“Can You Trust Foreign-Made Generic Medicines?”

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I recently went and am going through an issue because my pharmacy changed the generic minocycline I was taking. It did not agree with me or didin’t work for me…or I don’t know what. Long story short…I went downhill very fast. Now that I’m on the “mormal” generic…I’m beginning to respond well but it’s a slow road back. I’m so angry. This is a HUGE issue.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

richie
    Participant

Hi -M<any opinions –European makers are just fine –Indian companies mfg in the USA or Europe also fine -made in India not so fine !!!!!!!!!!!-Just my opinion

Spiffy1

Same thing happened to me! I am now taking plain cellulose pills to prove no reaction to cellulose. I will then have compounding pharmacist Add in minocyclene with no other fillers to see if I will be able to take minocyclene any more.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Suzanne
    Participant

I had become very frustrated with the distributors our pharmacy uses switching brands so often. Now that I see some familiar names on the list, I understand why and I am just going to accept that they are doing the best they can.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Suzanne, I was told by the pharmacy that they could no longer get the Actavis brand. But one morning when I came here and realized that my flare could be due to a switch in the generic, I spoke with a different pharmacist that said it was available and that she could get it but had me make the doctor send a new script that said “Actavis Only.” Voila…it worked…suddenly they could get it. Go figure. If there is a certain brand that does better for you I wouldn’t just accept it…I’d fight for it.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Suzanne
    Participant

We have a long relationship with an independent pharmacist and they used to be able accommodate requests easily. Those days are gone, but I am going to trust that their distributor is making the changes due to safety and quality. I fought to get Wockhardt azithromycin back, but seeing the problems with Wockhardt tells me that was a mistake. I suppose the distributors know when there are changes or problems with manufacturing and makes the choice of whether or not to continue to carry that brand.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Gotcha…I have to foster a relationship with an independent pharmacy…you are so smart to do that. I’ve been using a “big box” pharmacy and to them I am just a number.

Suzanne
    Participant

It was out of necessity when my daughter was younger and the meds she was prescribed were rare in pediatric doses. They have helped me in many ways over the years, but at the same time you don’t have the 24/7 convenience and we sometimes have to “cheat” on them for acute illnesses.

RJR1066
    Participant

I have this question too. I started AP for Scleroderma 4 years ago and was taking brand name MINOCIN until I just could not afford it anymore. Last year I started to ‘wean’ myself from it and split MINOCIN with Minomycin from NZ which I was buying through Canada Drug.
    In December 2016, I switched completely to Minomycin from NZ. I have felt great on it so far.

I have learned Canada Drug can no longer get Minomycin from NZ- what they are now selling as ‘brand’ MINOCIN is Aknemin from Britain.

I would like to know if anyone is using Aknemin for Scleroderma and how well it is working for you?

I am also wondering if anyone can explain why these ‘brands’ have such spotty availability-and they keep changing? Is MINOCIN going to disappear entirely or something? Last year MINOCIN in the US cost $3000 for just 72 pills. Just outrageous.

Thanks!

RJR1066

Thanks!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi RJR1066
    I posted this on March 6 – it may be of some help to you: Minocycline Brand Australia

This may be of help to some who are searching for brand minocycline.

Chemist Warehouse Australia carries the Minomycin brand of minocycline: Minomycin

Minomycin in Australia is currently distributed by Aspen pharmaceuticals, who purchased the rights from Sigma. This is the brand on which I was able to reach remission (until I became hyper-sensitive to tetracyclines and could no longer take this class of abx)

They do ship both locally and overseas – so think it may be possible for certain countries (seems like U.S. is included) to order from them with a prescription. Scroll down the page to the bottom for shipping time estimates for US and Canada. You may need to check restrictions:
    Chemist Warehouse shipping info

Would be interested to see how this goes if someone takes this up!

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

richie
    Participant

Very helpful and timely for me –Valeant has a back order on minocin –it hasnt been made for over two months now and I have doubts if it will ever be made again -Since Valeant is looking to push Solodyn –On the other hand I am appealing the insurance company decision to ;make me use the generic —So I am fighting with the insurance company for something that isnt being made now –My first choice would be Actavis for a generic –back up would be minomycin –If I go that route will keep everyone posted —-

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Richie, Why is Actavis your choice for the generic?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Links seemed to have broken in the copy and paste of my post above. I have now re-inputted the links and they appear to be working ok now

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Spiffy1

Do you know the inert ingredients of Actavis?

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.