Home Forums General Discussion Can You Do Gallbladder Flush on Abx?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Krys
    Participant

I have a book on gallbladder flush, but it states that one has to be off all medication and I cannot stop taking abx (Rifampin should not be stopped and restarted).
    I’m experiencing all kinds of problems now. It certainly looks like Fibromyalgia and CFS. I think adrenal fatigue may be behind all of them, and as adrenals need cholesterol and it needs bile to be produced and I don’t seem to have any…..
    I thought that doing gallbladder flush could solve the problem. I never had any symptoms of gallbladder stones, but I understand that everybody has them and if they are round, they may not produce any symptoms and still impede the storage and release of bile.
    I’d like to do the flush because it seems the easiest solution that, hopefully, could resolve all my current issues.
    I need to do something fast as the exhaustion is deepening daily (it seems I’ll start fainting out of exhaustion any moment now) and so is the pain (very strange, just lots of painful points all over the body that radiate onto the areas around. Everything hurts).
    Any help greatly appreciated!!!
    Krys

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Krys,

Good question! I do intermittent liver flushing as I had pre-existing GB probs prior to RA and it’s just something I do every few months or so to keep things flushing through my liver while on abx. In all the lit I’ve read on the topic, all meds and supps need to be stopped on flush day, as the purpose is to allow the liver and gut a break from having to break these down. As one is doing the flush, things pass so swiftly through the gut that they would probably be useless and not absorbed anyway.

Liver flushing has always been a great pain-reliever for me and on the few occasions when I had slightly elevated liver enzymes, it brought them back within normal ranges within a couple weeks.

Re: Rifampin, it’s interesting to read the “adverse effects” at the following link, because it may cause hepatotoxicity due to upregulation of the P450 cytochrome (major detox pathway in the liver):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifampicin#Adverse_effects

Adverse effects

The most serious adverse effect is related to rifampicin’s hepatotoxicity, and patients receiving it often undergo baseline and frequent liver function tests to detect liver damage. Rifampicin is an effective liver enzyme-inducer, promoting the upregulation of hepatic cytochrome P450 enzymes (such as CYP2C9 and CYP3A4), increasing the rate of metabolism of many other drugs that are cleared by the liver through these enzymes. As a consequence, rifampicin can cause a range of adverse reactions when taken concurrently with other drugs.[16] For instance, patients undergoing long term anticoagulation therapy with warfarin have to be especially cautious and increase their dosage of warfarin accordingly.[17] Failure to do so could lead to under-treating with anticoagulation, resulting in serious consequences of thromboembolism.

So, basically, Rifampin speeds up toxin metabolism and may cause unwanted side-effects while doing the liver flush. This said, I have never asked this question of my LLMD, so my best fellow patient suggestion would be to check with your doc, first. He may say it’s okay to take a week’s break from the Rifampin (just not pulsing it or skipping doses) to prepare and do the flush and then resume a few days after. Or, he may say, don’t worry and go ahead with the liver flush while on the Rifampin. Hard to know, really, but I suspect it is far more beneficial to be off it while doing the flush.

Krys
    Participant

Thank you, Maz.
    I was hoping you would say that you did it while on abx…..
    So, rephrasing the question:
    Will it be really dangerous to do it while stopping abx for just 1 day only, the day of the actual flush?

From what I read Rifampin cannot be stopped and restarted as it may be rendered ineffective if stopped even for a very short time.
    There has to be a way out.
    There have to be some effective ways to get out of exhaustion and a way to pump the energy into all those meridians. The solutions are hiding from me now, but I’ll find them!
    Krys

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.