Home Forums General Discussion bumps on hands–scleroderma

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JOJO19551
    Participant

Hello all.  I have several bumps/lumps (along the tendon line) on the palms of my hands and was wondering if others have these lumps.  It seems to have increased in the number of lumps over the past few months.  Although I am doing much better now compared to a year ago, these lumps seem to get worse.  Two dermatologists are unsure what they are.  Anyone else with this problem?  Thanks so much, JoAnn

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=514]JOJO19551[/user] wrote:

I have several bumps/lumps (along the tendon line) on the palms of my hands and was wondering if others have these lumps. 

Hi Joanne,

I have nodules on the tendon of the palm of one of my hands, too – called, Dupuytren's nodules. On my hand it is right below my ring finger, which is one of the most common places for these nodules to occur, but they can occur elsewhere on the palm, too. Here is a quick weblink about it on Wiki that describes this condition briefly, but there is much more on the web if you search on the subject:

Dupuytren's Nodules/Contracture

Does this seem similar to what you're experiencing?

There is a brand new injected drug that has just been approved by the FDA for this condition as an alternative to surgery (if it causes contractures). However, I have some reservations about it, as it is manufactured from collagenase harvested from a specific pathogen.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/164257.php

“The collagenase comes from the anaerobic bacteria Clostridium histolyticum, which produces a more powerful enzyme than the human equivalent.”

Isn't that interesting? That they are harvesting an enzyme (collagenase) from a pathogen that actually causes the breakdown of these nodules? In RA, it is this enzyme – collagenase – that causes the breakdown of joint tissue! I, therefore, have to ask why anyone with a rheumatic disease (or familiy history of one) and Dupuytren's would even consider trying this method! 😯 It's such a new drug, however, that I doubt warnings to this effect have been placed on the drug. Have to wonder if any light bulbs at all have gone on with the manufacturers of it either. 😕

Please let us know what you discover with your palm nodules, Joanne.

Peace, Maz

PS Meant to add that I use fibrolytic digestive enzymes (Neprinol), which seems to have stopped my palmar nodule getting any bigger.

PPS These nodules can occur to anyone and it's more a hereditary-type condition than related to rheumatic diseases.

JOJO19551
    Participant

Hey Maz, Your bump sounds like my bumps!  I just read about Neprinol and that sounds like a great little pill.  Do you take 500 mg per day?  My bumps do not hurt, they are just annoying because they are there.  Neprinol may be my next best friend along with my infrared sauna (thanks again, Kim).  Maz, you still amaze me with all of the info you process.  Thanks so much, JoAnn

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=514]JOJO19551[/user] wrote:

Your bump sounds like my bumps!  I just read about Neprinol and that sounds like a great little pill.  Do you take 500 mg per day?  My bumps do not hurt, they are just annoying because they are there.  Neprinol may be my next best friend along with my infrared sauna (thanks again, Kim).  Maz, you still amaze me with all of the info you process. 

Twins! :):) Are you a Viking, too? Apparently, it's called “Viking Disease” as it's mostly those of northern european heritage who get it, though not limited to British Isles and Scandinavian neighbors…seems Mediterranean folk can get it, too. Just one of those weird hereditary blips on a gene somehow. Weren't we the lucky ones? The good part is that Dupuytren's nodules are totally benign and usually painless…they're just a pain in the neck if they get bigger and cause contractures. Would still be wise to check with your doc, though, to ensure that this is what these nodules are. 😉

I just take what is recommended on my Neprinol bottle – two caps three times a day or 3 caps twice a day (depending on my schedule). I think Kim has taken more than this, but she would be able to fill you in on what she has done in the past. The key is to take these enzymes well away from food and your abx otherwise the anti-inflammatory/anti-fibrolytic properties are lost and it becomes more of a digestive enzyme. I usually take mine with my probiotics on an empty stomach with a two hour window away from abx. It's pretty expensive stuff, which is the main downer of it, but the benefits outweigh the cost in my book.

If you are taking any form of anti-coagulant blood thinner, it's not advisable to use Neprinol or any of the other blood-thinning enzymes, as this can increase the effect to dangerous levels. 😉

Whatever you do, stay on your mino, too! Mino has great anti-collagenase properties and should help the palmar nodules from getting any worse or at least slowing them down.

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Sorry, Jo, haven't had to deal with nodules so no help here. 

The Neprinol, I started with (I think) 8/day for the first few months, now I'm down to 2/day.

Take care…….kim

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Twins! :):) Are you a Viking, too? Apparently, it's called “Viking Disease” as it's mostly those of northern european heritage who get it, though not limited to British Isles and Scandinavian neighbors…seems Mediterranean folk can get it, too.

My husband is of Norwegian Descent and has odd bumps as does his father. Ha!  Who knew…another mystery solved.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Trudi
    Participant

My sister has this and so did my uncle (now deceased) in Germany.  I thought it was more prevalent in the German population :)–

http://www.dupuytren-online.info/

At the time my uncle had it, he had his pinky finger removed because he could not shake a hand, put on gloves, etc.  Apparently there were no other alternatives at that time :doh:.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Trudi, great site and appreciate you posting this as it provided wonderful info on the supplement NAC for Dupuytren's at this link:

http://www.dupuytren-online.info/dupuytren_NAC.html

NAC or N-acetyl cysteine is used by a number of folk here to help with pulmonary fibrosis and it makes complete sense that it would help to break up fibrotic tissue elsewhere in the body. I have been using 600mg a day of NAC for its excellent anti-oxidant and anti-inflam benefits, but it never occured to me that it might also be helping the Dupuytren's nodule on my palm, as well as the Morton's neuroma on the sole of my foot! This, in combination with my beloved Neprinol will hopefully be a good combo for breaking these little devils up or at least preventing them from getting any bigger.

Thanks!

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

Glad the site was of help, Maz.

I see my doctor next Friday.  On my list of questions is going to be the addition of NAC.  It keeps coming up as a very good supplement to support healing.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ bumps on hands–scleroderma’ is closed to new replies.