Home Forums General Discussion bug bite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Eva Holloway
    Participant

Last Sunday I attendd a German festival and was in a lot of grassy area. On the way home my leg started to hurt really bad so when I got home I put an ointment on it to stop the pain. After that I went to bed, I  couldn't get warm so my husband gave me the heating pad and it took two hours to get warm. Next morning I was okay but my leg started to have a rash and it looked like I had two bites right above the ankle. yesterday it was worse so today I called my regular GP and made appointment. I told her my episode, so she had some blood drawn to make sure my white blood count was okay. She aso gave me a shot of Rozephrin (?) and an antibiotic cream for the leg, and told me to come back if it doesn't get better.

A question: since she gave me this shot should I sit out the antibiotics for tomorrow?At the present time I take Minoxin 100 mg MWF and 500 mg of Biaxin TuThSa.

My leg looks real red red above the ankle, should I also see if I could get a Lyme test done down the road or do you think taking the antibiotics plus this shot may helped. I will also put in a call to Dr. K tomorrow. Their office is closed this afternoon.

Eva:?

Eva Holloway

mschmidt
    Participant

Eva,

Sorry to hear about your little episode.  Wow…you were given a shot of Rochephin, which is a Lyme med.  I wouldn't change anything about your abx right now, not at least until you speak to your doctor tomorrow. 

You haven't been tested for Lyme yet?  What does the rash look like?

Maria

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maria,

it went from a small red area to almost the size of my hand rounf the leg, it is about three inches high and on some places it is very tender. The doc knows I am on the AP so she made this choice. She also wants me to come back just in case it gets worse. I had the ELISA test done but it was inconclusive. I may have to request the other test.

years ago I had a bulls eye rash on the same leg and the doctor then put me on three weeks of tetracyline and blew of the problems about having Lyme problems in Texas, the only thing is I got bitten in Long Island when visiting friends. We did a lot of walking through wooded areas. I may have to insist that; the next time I see Dr. K to have the test done.

Eva:?

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=236]Eva Holloway[/user] wrote:

years ago I had a bulls eye rash on the same leg and the doctor then put me on three weeks of tetracyline and blew of the problems about having Lyme problems in Texas, the only thing is I got bitten in Long Island when visiting friends. We did a lot of walking through wooded areas. I may have to insist that; the next time I see Dr. K to have the test done.

Oh man, Eva…hate to say it, but your original infection of Lyme may have been the cause of all your later health problems. A bulls-eye rash = Lyme, whatever the tests say. This is a classic case of mainstream denial and that 3 weeks of antibiotics is enough to stop Lyme. I suspect they didn't bother to test you for coinfections either?

Dr K should run the IGeneX labs for you, if you ask her, but might be a good idea to order the kit to take with you to your next appt so you can have her sign off on it while you're there. 😉 Of course, it's not going to tell you much more, because you had a bulls-eye, which means you have Lyme. Maybe more salient is what coinfections you may have going on that have been untreated. :doh:

With this new bug bite, it may or may not have been a tick…can you take a pic of your rash and post it here? Might be a good idea to document it for your records, anyway. Bug bites can also cause cellulitis, so you need to keep a close watch on this rash and report any changes to your doc, if you see anything unusual or it doesn't get better.

Peace, Maz 

PS IV rocephin (aka ceftriaxone) is to Lymies what IV clindamycin is to rheumatics. It's the IV antibiotic of choice for the treatment of Lyme, though clindy is also now being used by some LLMDs and is a treatment for babesia…just in different doses and length of treatment is much longer.

Peach73
    Participant

Two bites makes me think of a spider bite..eek!  Glad you got treatment……let us know what the doc says 🙂

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maz,

how do you order the kit for IGeneX? might as well get it done now and start the treatment to get over this, been draging this around since 1990. 20 years is a long time, maybe this is why I get to a certain point and not much different. I mean I feel okay, but not yet there. Know what I mean.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Patti D
    Participant

Eva,
    So sorry you have got this to deal with. Dang bugs. 2 bites sounds like a spider bite to me too but what do I know.
    I had hoped when I got sick with the lyme they would have given me rocephin. My new doctor, now 1 year old, told me he would do andminister IV meds but I was doing so well on the mino he decided to leave well enough alone. Don't know if tht would have been quicker than this, but do know if I had my way I would be seeing a LLMD to make sure all is done according to your needs.
    I am really impressed that that is what he gave you, but maybe one dose is not enough.
    Anyway, I am thinking about you and hope everything turns out well.

Sending well wishes your way!
    Patti

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Patti,

the doctor offered a sulfa drug, but I am allergic to it so she went for the Rochephin. Sure smarted when she stuck me, not so much the needle but the meds. The one thing is; I never felt anything bite me last Sunday. She also gave me Bactroban cream, she said it is for a skin infection and to use it three times a day. Sure will do and I hope it helps. Hopefully one dose will sop something before it gets worse. I am also still taking Mino and Biaxin.

I will check out this doctor, she is in the clinic I usually go to. Never had her before. Seen several of the other docs. When I mentioned AP for RA she seemed to know about it, so I may have to see if she will work with Dr. K.

Thanks for the info Maz about the kit, and I need to get this done just to know myself what is going on. and no, I was never tested for coinfection because as you say they are in denial. I took a picture but I am not sure how good it is. Will send it later.

Eva Holloway

judy cash
    Participant

Patti,

Wow!!!!!   I am really impressed at your” new doctor, now 1 year old”,  sounds like he is some kind of genius. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.   I know what you meant, so please don't get mad at me…O.K.

Judy

Roz
    Participant

The one thing is; I never felt anything bite me last Sunday.

The ticks have a numbing agent about them when they get a feed (bite),

like of like Novacaine.

I was told the inflammation around the bite was my own antibodies trying to kick in???

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Eva,

If I were you I would outline the area that is red, that way if the red starts to spread you'll know it's not your imagination and can be important if there's any infection.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=236]Eva Holloway[/user] wrote:

how do you order the kit for IGeneX?

Hi Eva,

Just go this website…the phone number is there and you just call and ask them to mail you the Lyme testing kit. 🙂

http://www.IGeneX.com

All kinds of bug bites can create a histamine reaction that look a little red around the bite, but it's the EM rash you had all those years ago should be enough for an LLMD to diagnose chronic Lyme in light of all your subsequent health issues. Having the western blot test run may be moot and a negative test will mean nothing as you had the EM rash…it's really the potential for untreated coinfections that may be an issue. Definitely something to discuss with Dr K and to possibly consider seeing one of the better LLMDs out in CA when you're next over there?

Peace, Maz

Patti D
    Participant

Judy,
    HAHAHAHA!!! You are right, a 1 year old doctor. Hey maybe that's what we should be working with. Get them fresh not tainted by conventional medicine.
    OMG.

Too funny!!!
    Thanks for the chuckles.

Patti

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maz,

thanks for the link and they take Medicare and my 2nd insurance. I think when we go out to Desert Hot Springs in June, I will make an appointment with Dr. F, just to satisfy my curiosity about this problem, How long will it take once the blood is drawn and send back to get the report back?

Parisa,

I will mark my leg to see if the rash gets bigger, hope it will shrink with getting the shot and using the cream.

and Patti,

a 1 year old, that is robbing the craddle, way to young, but yes that was funny.

Eva Holloway

JBJBJB
    Participant

Oh, Eva, I sure hope you will be okay.

I have a very yummy blood all bugs love to have parties with me, drinking me like there is no tomorrow. 

I got jumbo bites all the time. Even these cutiest little lady bugs also bite me. When I was in New York state attending my husband's friend's outdoor wedding one summer 20 years ago, I had this mosquito bite on my arm which swelled like a balloon. I had fever and the ER nurses told me they had never seen such giant mosquito bite in their whole career.

So when I got the positive bands on my Lyme test, I was not surprised.

I heard if we eat certain food, it could change the blood smell to bugs and they would stay away from us. I know fresh garlic could do this but I hate to have garlic.

:JB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘ bug bite’ is closed to new replies.