Home Forums General Discussion Brewer’s Yeast

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

I used to take Brewer’s Yeast in my 20’s. Don’t know why I stopped, but am curious if anyone else takes it and their experience with it.

http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/brewers-yeast-benefits/

Thanks,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Suzanne
    Participant

Hi Trudi,

I opened this thread expecting to see avoidance, not supplementation. Interesting!

We have just eliminated brewer’s yeast for my oldest daughter. Eliminating dairy really helped all of her symptoms (see the list in the link, she had most of them), but lately she had started feeling bad more often and was considering eliminating gluten. She was certain that pasta never bothered her, and I found this article that seems to explain why that could be:

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/yeast/articles/roe_yeast_not_wheat.html

“Is wheat really the main problem?

In 2003 I conducted a survey of the intolerances of 364 clients. In percentage terms the results were as follows:

80% Cows milk products
    27% Orange
    21% Cocoa
    19% All cheeses and yogurts
    17% Coffee
    14% Yeast
    14% Tea
    12% Aspartame
    11% Malt
    10% Monosodium glutamate
    5% Hydrolysed vegetable protein
    3% Goats and sheeps milk products
    3% Wheat

Yeast

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Maz
    Keymaster

It’s so interesting, isn’t it? There are so many theories on all this that it would just be great if there was some consensus on it all!

Dr. F. mentions in the following that he believes that it’s not the gluten content in some foods with which folks struggle, but the high arginine content on which certain bugs, like his protozoan (Protmyxzoa rheumatica) thrives.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/dr-stephen-fry-on-fl1953

“He suggested that many people with chronic illness may struggle with wheat not due to the gluten content but due to the high arginine which the FL1953 protozoan thrives on.”

Doing a little searching around, seems that different protozoan strains seem to have this particular dependence on the protein arginine for methylation. Considering that some folks have a methylation problem, kind of makes me wonder how these parasites may be interfering with host methylation processes in competition for their own survival.

http://ec.asm.org/content/10/8/1013.short

Interestingly, mycoplasma also thrive in cholesterol and arginine-rich environments:

http://www.rain-tree.com/myco.htm#.UZrqvbWsiSo

“Mycoplasmas are parasitic in nature because they rely on the nutrients found in host cells including cholesterol, amino acids, fatty acids and even DNA. They especially thrive in cholesterol rich and arginine-rich environments.”

Which leads me to wonder how many microbial offenders may have a similar proclivity for arginine….

On the flipside and just to throw a spanner in the works, arginine is a precursor to the production of nitric oxide (NO) in the body and its production is stimulated by inflammatory cytokines (like TNF). Nitric oxide is apparently detrimental to protozans! So, could arginine-rich foods be producing herxes (not flares!) when food “offenders” are being consumed by the host?

http://pptu.lefora.com/2012/01/11/nitric-oxide-and-protozoa-2/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC239385/

Check out the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arginine

Arginine is synthesized from citrulline by the sequential action of the cytosolic enzymes argininosuccinate synthetase (ASS) and argininosuccinate lyase (ASL). In terms of energy, this is costly, as the synthesis of each molecule of argininosuccinate requires hydrolysis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to adenosine monophosphate (AMP), i.e., two ATP equivalents. Taking an excess of arginine essentially gives more energy by saving ATPs that can be used elsewhere.
    Citrulline can be derived from multiple sources:

from arginine via nitric oxide synthase (NOS)”

The connection to citrulline here is FASCINATING!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrulline

“Patients with rheumatoid arthritis often have detectable antibodies against proteins containing citrulline. Although the origin of this immune response is not known, detection of antibodies reactive with citrulline (anti-citrullinated protein antibodies) containing proteins or peptides is now becoming an important help in the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.[5]”

Is the RAer’s body producing CCP (cyclic citrullinated peptides) in an attempt to thwart bugs dependent on arginine?

P. gingivalis is also known to cause citrullination and to elicit anti-CCP in RA:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2748386/

As usual, the plot thickens, eh?

Maybe, ultimately, it’s matters less about what is causing a food sensitivity, but discovering what foods may be offenders (or actually helpful?) and eliminating them? If you look at the lists of foods mentioned in the Wiki article on arginine, it’s interesting to note dairy there…so many folks find they are helped by dairy elimination, too. πŸ™„

PS Sorry, Trudi, hope I didn’t hijack your thread here! 😳 I got a bit carried away following some dots there…

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Suzanne–

Thanks for this additional information. Allergies are an important consideration. I was glad to read further in the article that: “With regard to brewers yeast, I do test that routinely with my clients and rarely find that it is a problem. So my supposition is that the culprit is bakers yeast, and that natural yeasts, eg in alcohol] are not a problem for most people.”

I’m not certain that I may not have a reaction to Brewer’s Yeast, but since I do have problems taking supplements, I may give this a try again.

During my prelimary research of Brewer’s Yeast (looking for natural folate for MTHFR mutation), I came across this by Dr. Oz and Dr. Murray–http://www.sharecare.com/question/health-benefits-brewers-yeast.

Thanks again for your input–
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Trudi
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Dr. F. mentions in the following that he believes that it’s not the gluten content in some foods with which folks struggle, but the high arginine content on which certain bugs, like his protozoan (Protmyxzoa rheumatica) thrives.

Interesting! I never did well on l-arginine supplementation.

Doing a little searching around, seems that different protozoan strains seem to have this particular dependence on the protein arginine for methylation. Considering that some folks have a methylation problem, kind of makes me wonder how these parasites may be interfering with host methylation processes in competition for their own survival.

Makes sense–definitely something to keep in mind.

On the flipside and just to throw a spanner in the works, arginine is a precursor to the production of nitric oxide (NO) in the body and its production is stimulated by inflammatory cytokines (like TNF). Nitric oxide is apparently detrimental to protozans! So, could arginine-rich foods be producing herxes (not flares!) when food “offenders” are being consumed by the host?

I have wondered about this too.

PS Sorry, Trudi, hope I didn’t hijack your thread here! 😳 I got a bit carried away following some dots there…

I love to follow some dots… πŸ™‚

Take care,
    Trudi

Trudi
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

The connection to citrulline here is FASCINATING! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrulline

“Patients with rheumatoid arthritis often have detectable antibodies against proteins containing citrulline. Although the origin of this immune response is not known, detection of antibodies reactive with citrulline (anti-citrullinated protein antibodies) containing proteins or peptides is now becoming an important help in the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.[5]”

Hi Maz–
    This sentence popped out at me when I read the Citrulline article: “It (citrulline) is a key intermediate in the urea cycle, the pathway by which mammals excrete ammonia.” The MTHFR A1298C mutation disrupts the BH4 cycle function.

The BH4 cycle is critical for:
    1. assists breakdown of phenylalanine
    2. helps form these neurotransmitters: serotonin, melatonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine
    3. co-factor to produce nitric oxide
    4. assists breakdown of ammonia

Am not connecting the dots here, just letting you know it jumped out at me. Will have to digest it some :)!

Take care,
    Trudi

Suzanne
    Participant

More on the subject!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/441136-brewers-yeast-versus-bread-yeast/

This could be why both types could bother some people:
    “Brewer’s yeast and bread, or baker’s, yeast both belong to the Saccharomyces cerevisiae species of yeast.”

Also of interest –
    “Nutritional Benefits of Brewer’s Yeast
    Brewer’s yeast is useful as a dietary supplement because it’s rich in protein, B-complex vitamins and the minerals chromium and selenium. Bread yeast, by contrast, is low in chromium. The B vitamins support the metabolism, nervous system, skin and other functions and organs. Brewer’s yeast lacks vitamin B12, though, so it isn’t an appropriate B12 supplement for vegans and vegetarians. The chromium in brewer’s yeast may help control blood sugar in those with diabetes and help reduce body fat, explain experts from the University of Maryland. Brewer’s yeast may also help control cholesterol levels. Adults may take 1 to 2 tbsp. daily, mixed into food or dissolved in water or juice.”

Baker’s Yeast and Cancer Treatment
    Preliminary evidence suggests that baker’s yeast may hold promise as a cancer treatment. In mice with cancer tumors, injected forms of this yeast appeared to kill cancer cells, as noted in study published in Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy in April 2008. Treatment with baker’s yeast also increased immune response to the cancer. The U.S. Department of Health and Science has confirmed these findings but, as of 2010, the use of bread yeast to kill cancer cells was still at an early experimental stage.

Precautions
    Brewer’s yeast as a nutritional supplement can interfere with diabetes medications, monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressants and the painkiller meperidine, known by the brand name Demerol. If you take any of these medications, talk with your health care provider before taking brewer’s yeast. Brewer’s and bread yeasts are related to, but not the same as, Candida albicans, the yeast that causes vaginal yeast infections and thrush. Nonetheless, avoid using brewer’s yeast as a nutritional supplement if you’re prone to yeast infections. Unlike brewer’s yeast, live bread yeast isn’t useful as a nutritional supplement because, when uncooked, it continues to grow in the intestine and depletes the body of B vitamins.”

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/441136-brewers-yeast-versus-bread-yeast/#ixzz2U1EelBvq

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Trudi
    Participant

@Suzanne wrote:

More on the subject!

Hi Suzanne–
    Thanks for the additional information. I have decided to try it out, although I will be going very low and slow. Since you also checked on Brewer’s Yeast, I am sure you came across articles indicating that pets and humans alike that take Brewer’s Yeast are not bothered by ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas. If that turns out to be the case, that is a good side benefit! πŸ˜€

Take care,
    Trudi

Suzanne
    Participant

@Trudi wrote:

[ Since you also checked on Brewer’s Yeast, I am sure you came across articles indicating that pets and humans alike that take Brewer’s Yeast are not bothered by ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas. If that turns out to be the case, that is a good side benefit! πŸ˜€

No, I didn’t see that, but I have a few family members who will appreciate that tip!

I found that article while looking for the differences in the yeasts, so I didn’t go too deep into either type. We are going to continue having my oldest avoid them all. Interestingly, she is the least mosquito-bite prone in the family so we will have to see if elimination changes that this summer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.