Home Forums General Discussion Brand Name Minocin discontinued in Canada

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I was at a compounding pharmacy today and she told me that she could fill capsules for me with minocycline powder with no fillers or anything

Kate, unless I’m missing something, then that sounds like a good idea. It is the fillers (both in type and quantity) that seem to cause all the problems. Anyone else have a view on this?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

kater
    Participant

thank you
    I am partial to the idea of the minocycline without fillers and in undyed capsules if I can do that. I have been working so hard to get all these nasties–parabens, sodium laurel sulphate, titanium dioxide, dyes etc out of my personal care products and I find all but the parabens are in my pills. This does not make me smile. I believe that you friends from the US buy from Canada because of the price? but I believe you can also buy from the UK and other places so that puts you in a much better place than we Canadians with our regressive law. Interesting that Northwest Pharmacy was the one that told me I could get shipments from UK when everyone else said I could not. When I run out I will try again and not ask so many questions! And I am way out there on faith that AP is even going to help me. I will be sure to post if I ever hear of a new source of Minocin in Canada. I hear people saying they are getting it but I think it is just old stock and we are on borrowed time from all the researching I have done.
    Kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kate,

@kater wrote:

The pharmacy that told me about the Aknemin was in error because infact it is illegal to get any drugs shipped into Canada from anywhere.

That may be true, but Northwest Pharmacy is in Canada, so if you can buy Aknemin from them then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

notabene
    Participant

I placed an order for 100 mg Minocin from Northwest yesterday, and am waiting for their response. This is my first order, so I had to send the prescription. I’ll let you know.

csal
    Participant

My mom has been on AP for almost a year. We also just found out that minocin the Brand has been discontinued. You can order the Brand Name Minocin 100mg from http://www.canadapharmacy.com. It is the brand name not the generic, it comes i think from New Zealand. I hope this will help you guys.

Davit
    Participant

Hi. Thank God for my Doctor giving me 6 months worth of Minocin. I use the IDA drug store and they can no longer get me Minocin. My wife put it away and I thought I was out. See I had gone to hospital with a perforated ulcer from Naproxen and when I got home I couldn’t find it. But there it was, just not where I expected and since I had been in hospital three months it just got lost.
    I suppose I will have to find something else since the generic doesn’t work.
    I was taking low dose Keflex for a chronic staff infection and it seemed to be covering for the Minocin I was not getting but on the other hand I was getting a lot of antibiotics for the perforated ulcer that went septic real fast. I don’t know what all I was getting. There were three antibiotics and up to fourteen needles a day. No pills since I couldn’t have any food or water for three weeks. Damn near died three times but there was no sign of Arthritis till they pulled the antibiotics and sent me home. Back on the Minocin for now till I find something else that will kill Micoplasma. I do not have Lyme which is a pity since I believe there are other drugs for it. I’m going to look again at low dose Keflex.
    I seem to be doing okay without the Naproxen.

Davit

June3443
    Participant

This one of the discussions I was trying to find so I am posting to bring attention again.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

One of the fellows on the rheumatic site: Harald said he uses Aknemin abd it seems as good as the brand name Minocin. So I asked my doctor to prescripe it. I did give her a printout on it. There is a pharmacy in Canada that will send it to you. Only one at this time. Ontario College of Pharmacists, 1-888-700-5509. Go to ibenefitrx.com and print out their registration form, fill it out and fax it back to them, then in a separette envelope send the prescription from your doctor or have the doctor fax all papers and prescription from their office. I have to fax my paperwork tomorrow and then mail the script.
    Eva 🙂

Eva Holloway

June3443
    Participant

Eva, I found mine at Northwestpharmacy.com. My doctor faxed the prescription to them. The mino came in the original foil packages with an expiration of 2015. The capsules are orange with pellets inside.

I am curious to see if I do better on the pelleted version and eventually take 100 mg MWF. Right now I am experimentng by taking 1 every other day.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

June,
    how much were the pills and for how many? Also where are they from?

Eva

Eva Holloway

June3443
    Participant

Eva, I paid $165 delivered for 112 capsules of 100 mg. They were shipped from UK. The name is aknemin by Almirall. Each capsule contains minocycline hydrochloride Ph Eur equivalent to 100 mg minocycline base. The inactive ingredients are polyethylene glycol, gelatin capsules (colorings: erythrosine, red ferric oxide, yellow ferric oxide, titanium dioxide)

I don’t know if they will work better than the powdered generic I was taking, but wanted to see if I could notice any difference.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

June, I am getting Aknemin. Harald said the actually work better than the brand name Minocin. Guess I will see.
    Eva

Eva Holloway

June3443
    Participant

I discontinued taking the Aknemin and started back on the Ranbaxy minocycline. I had severe hip pain and overall aches and pain on the Aknemin. I also had more tightness in my hands. Overall, I felt my symptoms were worse. I have only been taking the Ranbaxy a couple of days, but already feel better.

I don’t believe what I was experiencing was Hexing.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.