Home Forums General Discussion Brand Name Minocin discontinued in Canada

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kater
    Participant

Hi All,
    Stiefel has discontinued production of brand name pelletized Minocin–both 50 and 100mg in Canada 😡 I spent the evening phoning around pharmacies to get the last of the stock to fill my prescription. I understand Triax is producing Minocin in the States but was told we can’t get it into Canada–also very expensive I think. I read some info on getting it shipped from the UK. Has anyone tried that? This is so frustrating–I would like to keep on name brand long enough to at least see if it is working before having to switch to generic. All info appreciated!
    thanks
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Maz
    Keymaster

Sorry I can’t help with the Canadian Stiefel Mino problem. I had also read that the remaining 50mg Mino would only be available while stocks lasted, as GSK had bought out Stiefel and were not producing some of the “dermatological” (oh brother) products for an indeterminate period of time (Stiefel and legal issues). Hopefully someone can provide info on obtaining brand mino from UK for you.

I need an IV doc Victoria BC!!

I noticed, however, that you’re looking for an IV doc in BC in your sig line and, as it happens, RBF just got a new listing for a doc who actually approached the foundation and asked to be added to the referral list. He’s an LLMD but is supplying IVs and mino to rheumatic patients upon request for the therapy. 🙂 This new doc’s offices are a distance from you, in Richmond, but you may be able to figure out a home infusion service locally?

PhilC
    Participant

If I lived in Canada and had to take generic minocycline, this is the one I would try first:
    ratio-MINOCYCLINE

Why? Most makers of generic minocycline use corn starch as a filler. Ratiopharm’s minocycline is one the few that does not contain corn starch. Note that Minocin also does not contain corn starch.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

fastspinW
    Participant

The fact that this drug was apparently dropped from production in Canada without contest is a sad commentary on our times. US manufacturers of Minocin tried that trick some years ago and Dr. T and others threatened them with a class action lawsuit. They backed down but put up the price in hopes of killing the demand for the drug. When that failed to kill demand they sold the drug to another company and by in by it found its way into the cosmetic market as part of a skin care package for fashion conscious teenagers. Each time the drug changed hands up went the price….

Word on the street was that drug manufacturers hated Minocin because it was both more effective and much cheaper than the biologic competition. Surely enough to virtually seal its fate in doom!

That profit is still allowed to play such an important role in drug manufacture and promotion is, to my mind anyway, more than enough to win society a big F and a good kick in the pants to boot. It’s one thing to let greed run amuck in respect to the price of consumer goods, quite another when rather than merely making it impossible for consumers to afford the latest iPod this Profit At Any Cost mindset denies ill folks access to drugs that make the difference between a livable existence and a life of pain and despair.

Occupy Wall Street anyone?

All best,
    Winston

PhilC
    Participant

Supposedly, these Canadian pharmacies sell Minocin made by Wyeth:

http://www.northwestpharmacy.com/ProductSearch.aspx?s=minocin
    https://www.getcanadiandrugs.com/ProductSearch.aspx?s=Minocin

Ref.: http://www.tmgp.com/minocin.htm

Actually, looking at those web sites a little more closely, both appear to be owned by the same pharmacy.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

DianaW13
    Participant

I just called Costco in Ontario. They said that it is NOT discontinued but they have to order in larger pack sizes.
    Hope this helps.
    Diana

kater
    Participant

Hi all,
    I will write in more detail when I find my MINOCIN!! This is all I have been doing the past couple of days, phoning, phoning. I was told that I cannot import drugs from the UK or US into Canada, but when I phoned the NorthwestPharmacy you suggested Phil they said they have Minocin Brand name that is made by Almirall in the UK and they can have it shipped to me. Perhaps I cannot have it shipped privately but the company can? I don’t know. I am so frustrated with all this. Does anyone know if the Almirall brand is suitable? I haven’t heard it mentioned anywhere. Thank you all so much for your support
    more soon
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kate,

I did a little checking, and Almirall isn’t the brand, it’s the name of a pharmaceutical company. The brand of the minocycline they make is Aknemin, not Minocin. However, it appears to be similar.

Here is the description of the 100 mg capsules of Aknemin:
    “Aknemin capsules are orange hard gelatin capsules, filled with spherical yellow to yellow-green pellets.”

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Eva Holloway
    Participant

hello all,
    I will be in a fix if I can’t get the brand name Minocin, because Minocyclin didn’t help me much. I have to call tomorrow again and check on my order. They had told me it would go out and usually it takes about ten days after I fax the script and they did call me to tell me they would send the 50 mg. So I am crossing my fingers I will still get this batch, ad it will hold me over till I can figure out where else I can get my meds or maybe change to something else.

Eva ❓

Eva Holloway

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi Kate,

Phil has given you some good information there. I live in the UK and take Aknemin. It is definitely pelleted because I have opened a capsule to see!!! I was concernced when I was first prescribed this (only a couple of months ago) but my pharmacy said this is all they have. I posted about it and got some good feedback – especially from ‘Randy’. Here is what he said:

I have been using Aknemin (100mg) since this April. I was very concerned at first that these were not the right type of Minocin. However, they are doing the trick just fine. Additionally, they ARE pelletized; you can open one up to check – I have. Also, these are not considered generic Minocyclin, unless I am not getting the right story from the pharmacy and Dr. F. I am being assured they are the same as brand-name Minocin. Note that they are manufactured in Reinbek Germany. My delivery comes from the Westlake Pharmacy, Hounslow, U.K. and the Pharmacy Dr. F. used for this is the Northwest Pharmacy in Canada (yes, how “the world is flat”) CustomerService@NorthWestPharmacy.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-539-5330.

As you can see Randy visits Dr F who is very experienced with all of this. It is too early for me to tell if Aknemin is working or not. I have read of a couple of other posters here in the UK who have been prescribed Acnamino. I think this is the Modified Released version and would probably be better. Not sure where you would be able to get that though.

Hope this helps Kate.

Patricia x

Rose
    Participant

Please keep us posted as I use the the brand name Minocin from Canada. I found the generic did not work as well, I think it has something to do with being pelleted, which is time-released. Now I’m worried. I know what Minocin did for me. It put me back into remission. Rose

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Rose,

@Rose wrote:

Please keep us posted as I use the the brand name Minocin from Canada. I found the generic did not work as well, I think it has something to do with being pelleted, which is time-released.

That seems to be a common misconception. Minocin is not “time-released.” If it were, pharmacies would not be able to legally sell capsules containing powdered minocycline as generic equivalents because they would not be bioequivalent.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Eva Holloway
    Participant

they informed me today from the pharmacy in Canada this would be my last shipment, they no longer receive Minocin. It will last me some time, but I may have to find something else, or find out from Dr. K. what else will work. Doxy doesn’t, I tried it.
    Eva

Eva Holloway

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dont know whether this helps any but Minomycin is still available in Australia (though was out due to some production troubles for a while). It is the BRAND – not a generic- and is the only form of minocycline that my AP Doc endorses. It is produced by Sigma who bought it from Wyeth. It is not pelleted however and is an orange film-coated tablet in 50mg size. Over here 60 tablets cost A$23 if bought privately (i.e. not subsidised).

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

kater
    Participant

Thanks for all the input! I have been working on obtaining Minocin almost non-stop all week, having searched online and phoned dozens of pharmacies and I have now obtained a whole 4 month supply! I have my mom doing phoning for me now and I am really hoping I can collect a few more months of stuff that people have left in stock. I was told that GSK has bought Stiefel, but no idea if or when they will make Minocin. The pharmacy that told me about the Aknemin was in error because infact it is illegal to get any drugs shipped into Canada from anywhere. Not very progressive to say the least. We can only buy Canadian made drugs and if GSK doesn’t make it there will be no Canadian Minocin. I was at a compounding pharmacy today and she told me that she could fill capsules for me with minocycline powder with no fillers or anything and I wonder if that might be a tad better than generic when the time comes. Anyone have any thoughts on that? She also told me about doing my own clindamycin/saline iv’s for a very cheap price so that is interesting if I can find someone to prescribe. I am going to contact the Doc in Richmond that Maz suggested–AS SOON AS I GET MY MINOCIN!
    😀 kate
    still smiling in Canada

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.