Home Forums General Discussion Bicillin LA / Rifampin / Doxycycline for PsA and Lyme

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    GrandeMusic
    Participant

Hi James,

My fingers (swelling at distal joints) and neck pain has increased while on the ABX listed above, especially once rifampin and doxy were pulsed in.

What do you mean by “pulsed in”? Are you not taking those drugs every day?

For two years I did months on of herbals, then time off, months on of ABX, then off, months on of Bicillin, months off. Sometimes with ABX I’d start by pulsing and then reaching full dose with only bad flares, no turning of corner

The rheumatologist did say that mjnocycline was used years ago but that the treatment is outdated.

Not really, but rheumatologists have several excuses that they use when they don’t want to prescribe it, and that is one of them. It doesn’t really matter at this point, though, because switching to minocycline right now would likely make you feel worse rather than better.

Maybe it’s time to try the methotrexate?

My LLMD recommended Humira today to start as he said its the safest of biologics in terms of bad reactions.

Yes, I think you should consider trying a low dose of methotrexate. But think of it as additional anti-inflammatory support and not as a replacement for antibiotic therapy. Also, ask your rheumatologist if she would consider prescribing meloxicam (Mobic) for you. If you keep taking diclofenac you’ll likely end up with leaky gut syndrome (if you don’t have it already), and some patients have developed liver failure from taking diclofenac. There are much safer NSAIDs.

Phil

I discussed this today with my doc and he also said mobic or celebrex. I’m going to discuss switching Volataren with rheumy and pain management clinic when we meet Monday to discuss potential pain management options. I think I may push for humira to avoid the methotrexate side effects, we’ll see what happens!

GrandeMusic
    Participant

I forgot to mention my LLMD wrote out minicyline for me and I filled it, he thinks I should try Humira first and see how I feel

worldofme
    Participant

How often will you take Humira? I took it for 3 months. It did reduce inflammation in my eye.

PhilC
    Participant

Here’s another option worth considering:
    https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/low-dose-cortisol-hydrocortisone/

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

GrandeMusic
    Participant

Not sure yet as to how long, will know tomorrow if it’s methotrexate or humira

GrandeMusic
    Participant

And thanks Phil will look into it

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.