Home Forums General Discussion Best info to print for doctor?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    webby4444
    Participant

Hi! I have had Scleroderma for 17 years, and have had a mycoplasma infection for just as long, but didn’t realize it until recently. I would like to get started on AP, but my Rheumatologist is completely against it, and said that there is no evidence that proves AP works. I am going to see my general practician, and would like to ask him to get me started on AP. What info have you printed out, and taken to your doctor that was successful in getting them to prescribe minocycline for you, and get you started on AP?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Webby and welcome,

You’ll find the original Pulsed and Daily Doctor packets in printable format from PDFs here – these describe both some of the rationale and how to prescribe mino for various rheumatics diseases:

Pulsed and Daily Doc Pkts

Minocycline is an American College of Rheumatology DMARD and is described as such in their site for RA:

ACR Minocycline Fact Sheet

Some doctors may be unaware of all the immune-modulating effects of tetracyclines in addition to their anti-microbial bacteriostatic properties:

“Tetracycline Antibiotics for Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis [abstract]. The 2009 ACR/ARHP Annual Scientific Meeting Philadelphia October 16-21, 2009; Adwan, M. H. Q., Arthritis Rheum 2009;60 Suppl 10 :406 DOI: 10.1002/art.25489.”

Background:
    Tetracycline antibiotics have been used in Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) since the late 1940s. Animal and in vitro studies have shown them to modify the inflammatory process in various ways unrelated to their antimicrobial activities. These include effects on matrix metalloproteinases, Nitric oxide, phospholipase A2, inflammatory cytokines, immunomodulatory and anti-oxidant effect as well as effects on angiogenesis, apoptosis, MAP kinases, TGF beta and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1.

You’ll find other interesting articles you may like to print for your doc, here:

Journal articles

And media articles to browse through to decide what you’d like to print:

Media articles

And Scleroderma Research, in particular the “Harvard Protocol” (aka the daily dose protocol) Minocycline in Early Diffuse Scleroderma trial:

Minocycline in Early Diffuse Scleroderma

There are also numerous Patient Stories where you might find ones with which you identify.

Patient Scleroderma Stories

Hope that helps to start, Webby!

webby4444
    Participant

This is extremely helpful. Thank you!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.