Home Forums General Discussion Best Brand of Minocin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Martina
    Participant

What brands of generic/brand of Minocin are people having the best success for scleroderma with? I checked with a couple of Canadian pharmacies and they are offering Meda (Aknemin) out of the UK for brand name and AA Pharmacy out of CANADA and Asben out of New Zealand.
    Thank you so much!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Martina,

I don’t have scleroderma, but I’ve been satisfied with Torrent capsules, Par tablets, and Torrent tablets. And I know that at least one member of this forum, who had scleroderma, was also satisfied with Torrent capsules.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Martina
    Participant

Thank you Phil for your response. I’ve had good luck in the past with PAR caplets but have been unable to find them currently. Any suggestions. I’m looking at Canadian sources as well.

Thank you!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Martina,

Which pharmacy did you get the Par mino from? Have you tried calling a bunch of pharmacies?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Martina
    Participant

Phil, I’m not sure. It’s been a long time (several years). Could’ve been Walmart. I’ve checked with a couple of Canadian pharmacies and they do have some caplets made by a different company in New Zealand. My local Smith’s has generic Torrent.

Martha

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Martina,

When you talk to pharmacies, ask if they can get the 50 mg Par tablets. Those are the only kind of Par mino I’ve ever taken, because those are only kind I was able to get. I started with 50 mg Par tablets, and later when I tried to switch to 100 mg Par tablets I ended up with Ranbaxy tablets because the pharmacy couldn’t get 100 mg Par tablets.

If they can get the 50 mg Par tablets, you’ll need to get a new prescription from your doctor that specifies 50 mg pills because pharmacies won’t fill your prescription using 50 mg pills unless the doctor specifies them. Since your dose won’t change (if the prescription is written correctly), you’ll end up with twice as many tablets.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Martina
    Participant

Thank you Phil for your suggestions! Do you like the Ranbaxy tabs? I wondered if the PAR worked better because they were caplets and probably have a longer dissolving time.

Martina

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Martina,

Do you like the Ranbaxy tabs?

Yes. I thought that they might even have been a little stronger than the Par tablets. However, Ranbaxy tablets no longer exist because Ranbaxy minocycline (capsules and tablets) were sold to Torrent Pharmaceuticals.

I wondered if the PAR worked better because they were caplets and probably have a longer dissolving time.

I don’t think that’s the reason. I think it’s mainly because they are a high quality product. Making capsules and tablets is not easy, and some companies do a better job of making them than others. Properly made tablets do tend to be better than capsules, though. Because tablets are compressed in a tablet press, and then usually sealed with a coating, the active ingredient in a tablet is better protected from the effects of oxygen and moisture than it is in a capsule.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Martina
    Participant

Phil,
    I’m having trouble with the Canadian Pharmacies even being able to get minocycline generic right now (but I can get that through my insurance anyway here in my state. The local pharmacy had PAR, DRREDDY’S, and Aurobindo but they are $300/month out of pocket.
    The capsule manufactures available local are Aurobindo, Sun, Zydus & Torrent. I’m not a fan of Torrent as I recall. Any favorites that people are having better success with for scleroderma?
    thank you in advance from the bottom of my heart!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Martina,

As for minocycline capsules, your best bet (out of the ones you listed) is Torrent. For minocycline tablets, there is another option that you may not have considered. Go to GoodRx.com and search for minocycline. Be sure to select the correct options, which are: 1) brand vs. generic, 2) capsule vs. tablet, 3) dosage, and 4) quantity. Using GoodRx.com, you can get discount coupons for pharmacies in your area. You would use the discount coupon instead of insurance; you cannot use both of them together. I have used these types of coupons numerous times, and they definitely work. The only “problem” I experienced is that some pharmacies gradually raised the price such that, after several months had passed, the price wasn’t quite as good as it was originally. When that happened, I went back to the website and got a new discount coupon.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Martina
    Participant

Thank you Phil for taking the time to respond to me! Those are great suggestions and I do have that app. I found a Canadian pharmacy that has 50mg tabs manufactured in NZ (Aspen). The price isn’t too high so I thought I’d give them a try.

I’ll report back. Been doing this a long time and have found some brands definitely work better than others.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.