Home Forums General Discussion Baking soda reduces inflammation in RA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    CMS12
    Participant

New study published in Journal of Immunology shows daily dose of baking soda reduces inflammation in RA, Lupus, etc.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm

I remember reading years ago on this forum some folks found great benefit using baking soda for RA symptoms. Now there’s a study explaining why it helps. Going to start this treatment today. Read many articles related to the study and dose is 1/2 teaspoon to 16 oz. water. Study shows after two weeks significant taming of inflammation. I wouldn’t take baking soda with aluminum which I believe Arm and Hammer contains. I’m using Whole Foods baking soda.

Cindy.

Spiffy1

Please report back to us in about two weeks and let us know your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Maz
    Keymaster

This is really interesting, Cindy, and thanks so much for sharing this NIH-sponsored study. This topic has been debated here for years and the theory was attacked by Quackwatch in 2009 (very oddly) by Dr. Gabe Mirkin, a now retired AP doc (his wife recovered from RA with AP):

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense

While it’s true that the healthy human body adjusts pH by the mechanism of homeostasis, alt Med docs have long-subscribed to the theory that when this mechanism is knocked off balance and the body becomes more acidic, this precipitates and promotes the disease state. Looks like your study-find has provided some science to back up this claim!

Spiffy1

I read the article and it certainly is worth a try. I would like more specific details. Like do you drink it every day forever and ever? If they palpate your spleen and it is enlarged that is going to open up a whole can of worms. They may decide it needs to come out. Maybe they will take your word for it that it is because you are drinking baking soda. Again, please let us know how your body reacts to this. Very interesting.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Spiffy – I haven’t tried it yet. I do plan to but I get sick of pills and supplements so working up to it. I can tell you over the years I’ve researched it a lot, especially after I read of some success by others here. The study only showed two weeks. At least that’s my interpretation. There isn’t an explanation in the study of how long but the natural health boards I’ve visited recommend two weeks on a two weeks off. I believe that’s because of the salinity but not sure. I will report back after I try it. Below is an old entry from this board (I think) of success. It includes Apple Cider Vinegar. There is a theory that ACV alkalises the body too. I told two family members about ACV and they both saw distinct improvement in injured joints.

“I have been taking 2 teaspoons of ORGANIC apple cider Vinegar and 2 tsp Organic honey and 1/4 tsp baking sodA FOR 3 DAYS AND MY RA SYMPTOMS HAVE ALMOST COMPLETELY GONE AWAY, SO TRY THAT COMBINATION INSTEAD OF Tablespoons of ACV and no honey..Add the honey to your recipe…..I can’t believe how much better I am , it’s been 6 months of constant pain, I can even wear my rings again!!!”

Cindy

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Girls;
    If your body wants to become acidic it will draw calcium and other minerals from your bones.Nothing you put into your stomach will help.One thing for sure is that if you have acid reflux as SD almost always does taking soda before bedtime will help.I used it for years.Any vinegar will act like a digestive enzyme which is great if you have slow motility due to this disease.It makes you digest faster so that you have no residual food in your stomach that could come up in the middle of the night.I solved all my motility and gerd problems whithin a few weeks just by taking digestive enzymes with meal(2 per meal,one per snack) and soda before bed.GNC makes a great blend that is dirt cheap,around 30$ for a big bottle of 240 capsules.Hubby and I always use them because as we age we have less and less stomach acid and that is why you will see so many old people popping Tums like candy….wrong move there.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Someone told me once that when taking vinegar, to dilute it because otherwise it wears the enamel from your teeth. How do you (those who take vinegar) take it? Would it still be effective if diluted?

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

anything acid will damage tooth enamel if you do not rinse after using.Here is where soda comes in handy as a mouth wash.Great for brushing teeth also

Spiffy1

Unfortunately I do tend to not do well on high histamine foods like vinegar and honey. I may very well give it a try anyway! So happy to hear of your success! Please keep us updated!

Airen
    Participant

I follow Dr. Mercola and receive his email blasts. Just this morning he has an article based on baking soda for RA/autoimmune.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/05/07/drinking-baking-soda-for-autoimmune-disease.aspx

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Airen – Dr. Mercola is discussing the study I linked above in this article. Pretty cool. I am starting today with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in full glass of water first to make certain I can tolerate it. If so, I’ll move to 1/2 teaspoon. I’ll report back on my progress.

As far as taking ACV it must be taken mixed in a full glass of water as it does destroy enamel on teeth. I took it for a week or two and didn’t see much effect but I think it takes longer than that. My husband took it for a bad shoulder and after a few weeks it was healed. My brother-in-law took it for a torn meniscus and was able to avoid a recommended surgery. So, I suspect it is worth a more consistent try for my RA as it does alkalize the body.

Cindy

PhilC
    Participant

If you drink coffee, you can add some baking soda, and it may even improve the flavor. I’ve been served coffee that tasted quite tart, and adding one quarter teaspoon of baking soda improved the flavor considerably. I also tried one half teaspoon, but that made the coffee taste slightly salty.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Spiffy1

Any update?

CMS12
    Participant

Sorry, I have been a slackard. I haven’t started it yet. I will start and report back, I promise.

CMS12
    Participant

Just an update. I tried it for a couple weeks and didn’t notice any significant difference. I may try it a little longer and will keep you posted.

Cindy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.