Home Forums General Discussion Avoiding Vitamin D?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I’ve been trying to figure out why the only thing that works for me is Brand Minocin, which is unavailable. I have tried generic minocycline, doxcycline, Mino from other countries, and azithromycin to no avail. I did some researching and came across this article which states that Vitamin D is to be avoided. I’ve been taking 5000 IU for several years and I wonder if that is a bad idea.

https://mpkb.org/home/patients/protocol_overview

Maz
    Keymaster

If a person is following the Marshall Protocol (MP), then Vit D avoidance is a necessary component of increasing the Benicar Vit D receptor blockade. At one time, they also recommended complete sun avoidance and the need for wearing light-blocking sunglasses, and installing light-blocking window shades in the home. I think there have been more recent modifications to that protocol to make life easier, but the Vit D blockade is a critical part of MP. AP doesn’t require this and IMO may be detrimental, especially in menopausal women at risk for osteoporosis or those with thyroid disease who need adequate Vit D for thyroid replacement hormone absorption and conversion.

redrock
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying, Maz. I had thought the Marshall Protocol had originally used minocycline so I was just wondering.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

The only way you will know if D is a problem is to have your d and D1,25 tested.If 1,25 comes back high it will be because your system is converting the D too fast.I had to stop supplementation and was much better a year later.I am a gardening nut and had to forgo my bikini that summer and had to cover up.I hated that but my skin was quite happy.

Maz
    Keymaster

I had thought the Marshall Protocol had originally used minocycline so I was just wondering.

Yes, I believe Marshall Protocol (MP) does use minocycline, in addition to 2 or 3 other antibiotics that are introduced in small, incremental doses, added in stepped-fashion (as can be tolerated). The protocol is quite strict and MPers must follow protocol exactly. The antibiotics are in addition to high-dose Benicar (a blood pressure medication that has some effect on creating a Vit D blockade), which is central to the MP. The rationale for the design of the MP is very different from AP, so we don’t have the resources to info-share here. If interested, you can read further on the MP website or their breakaway group, Chronic Illness Recovery.

PhilC
    Participant

I’ve been taking 5000 IU for several years and I wonder if that is a bad idea.

Are you taking that dose once a day or once a week?

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Are you taking that dose once a day or once a week?[/quote]

Once a day. My level is only 50 with a reference range of 30-100. At one point it was 67. So I’m definitely not overdosing.

PhilC
    Participant

My level is only 50 with a reference range of 30-100. At one point it was 67. So I’m definitely not overdosing.

Without knowing your 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (aka calcitriol) level, I don’t think you can be certain that you aren’t taking too much. By the way, I experienced side effects from taking less than half the dose you are taking.

This information may be helpful:
    https://mpkb.org/home/tests/125d

Phil

- Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

That is the test I took and I’m at 50.

What are the side effects of too much?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Red;
    You might like to r3ad this.Hope it helps.
    https://mpkb.org/home/tests/125d

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

I actually avoided consuming foods with D
    as well as D supplements for my first 6 months or so on AP, because at the time when I become symptomatic I had recently started taking a D supllement. So I was freaked out that D might have been a factor somehow.

Doctors continuously nagged me about my vit D levels (every.single.doctor.) so I eventually caved and started eating eggs everyday. I still refuse to supplement. Not necessarily because I believe it is directly harmful but because I don’t entirely believe it’s super beneficial.

You could always experiment with stopping the super high D supps and trying to make sure you have some D in your everyday diet, and just see how you feel doing that.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Spiffy1

For me, I like to keep mine between 60 and 80. I would not want it over 100 or less than 50. 50 is really pretty good. It doesn’t sound like you are getting too much. I find that if I take about 2,000 ius a day it keeps me up there without going over. Just always ask for the vitamin d blood test when you have bloodwork done. Every body is different. What works for me maybe not enough for you and vice versa.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

That is the test I took and I’m at 50.

I think you may be confused. The test I referred to is not the standard test for vitamin D. It’s a different test, one that isn’t used as often as the normal vitamin D test.

What are the side effects of too much?

In my case, I experienced sensitive, painful teeth; it also made my eyesight worse. I’m sure that there are other possible side effects, but those are the ones I experienced.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

I get my Vitamin D labs done every time I get all levels tested. On the lab report it says 25-Hydroxy as the type of test.

redrock
    Participant

Oh I see there is another test called 1,25-D.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.