Home Forums General Discussion Autoimmune diseases may be side effect of a strong immune system

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

In July of this year, New Scientist published an article, entitled, Autoimmune diseases may be side effect of a strong immune system. Not sure anyone here considers rheumatic disease to have any upsides, but this article offers a pretty interesting evolutionary perspective.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2099313-autoimmune-diseases-may-be-side-effect-of-a-strong-immune-system/

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Interesting! It flies in the face of infectious origin theory – but not, I guess, infectious trigger.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes, funny, though…I was thinking the theory fit well with Dr. Brown’s rheumatic hypersensitivity model…small amounts of pathogen creating “bacterial allergy.” Perhaps a paradigm shift is occurring, finally catching up to Dr. Brown?

Calida
    Participant

I loved this article and one bit of info jumped out at me;

“By analysing the antibodies in sheep blood samples, Graham’s team had found that there was a correlation between levels of self-reactive antibodies and those of antibodies against parasites, and that a high level of self-reactive antibodies runs in sheep families. Together, the findings suggest that genetics influences levels of self-reactive antibodies, and that this is linked to mounting a stronger defence against parasites. This seems to provide an evolutionary advantage – sheep with higher levels of self-reactive antibodies live longer.”

They were Scottish sheep which made me think of my family (the Scottish part, not the sheep! 😉 ). Since, until recently, my family evolved for tens or hundreds of generations in two or three locales in the UK and most members have had long healthy lives, I’ve often wondered if the emigration to the US, especially settling on Long Island, triggered autoimmune disease in all female members of my immediate family because our systems have evolved to deal with British parasites…..lol…I know this sounds crazy! But it wasn’t until recently that I discovered that the mystery disease I had in 1974 was textbook Lyme. After losing half my body weight, experiencing rheumatic-like pain in every joint and using a rotating mix of whatever antibiotics were available back then for 3 months, I recovered completely. My 2 sisters and I were eventually diagnosed with AI disease and Bb DNA was found in my blood specimen. One sister is badly damaged from the immune-suppressants and chemo drugs. She’s not interested in the Lyme/AP angle, preferring to continue to self-destruct with Humira and pred but the second will be tested for Lyme at her next doctor visit and will attempt to persuade her doc to prescribe LDN to begin the process of moving away from the usual drugs. I strongly suspect both have Lyme.

Funny, there was a link at the end of the article to a story about 9-11 responders (I was one) and their exposure to silica (determined my sclero dx?), asbestos and other harmful airborn particulates with a possible connection to AI disease. The story doesn’t explain why most responders didn’t wear masks accurately. There wasn’t a shortage at the scene, most were just useless as they clogged within a minute or so and made breathing impossible.

Anyway, just thinking that the ease of travel and relocation from our usual haunts to new locations today may be partly responsible for the sharp increase in AI disease. Of course, we hear the usual blah blah blah about more accurate testing and diagnosis today (i.e. Autism) but I believe that’s absolute B.S. IMHO 😉

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Spiffy1

I enjoyed your post. Along the same lines, I wondered if I am the only one in my family with a great potential for RA…because I am the only one who moved out of the south to the NE and got Lyme antibodies. I am Scotch Irish as well. I will always wonder this. I also want you to report back to us about your husband’s blood work. I really want to know how LDN has affected his blood work. I am on 3.0 mgs and doing okay with it.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Calida
    Participant

Hi Spiffy,

Wish me luck trying to get my husband to follow up on anything medical! He switched from the medical industry to teaching Math in NYC at the high school level last Spring and I’ve hardly seen him since then as he’s fast-tracked in a Master’s program for education while teaching full time. He attends grad school after school and on some Saturdays. When at home, he’s working into the wee hours of the morning on school work.

It’s amazing to see how well the LDN, along with Peony Immune and 3 mg of boron daily, has improved his joints, especially the knees. He returned home from school a little while ago and I just watched him (through the window, too cold out there for me!) run up the hill with the dog. He also goes up and down stairs all day in school and in the subways with a heavy back pack on his back. He used to struggle up the few steps leading to our front door 3 years ago just carrying one grocery bag.

He has promised to see the rheumatologist and one or two others over the Christmas holiday and he’s due for antibody
    labs. I’ve made the appointments so we’ll see….

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Spiffy1

Well, my word, Cal…I think I will check out his supplements. I have never studied boron. Sounds like he is doing better than most. Good for him. I am at 3 mgs for LDN. I am going to have blood work done again in Feb. then I might try to go up a little. Thanks for the update! Yea!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.