Home Forums General Discussion Autoimmune diseases and Relaxin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JOJO19551
    Participant

Does anyone have any information or been treated with Relaxin (hormone) for any autoimmune disease?  I work for 15 physicians and one of them is very interested in studying the causes of autoimmune diseases.  Apparently there are more children with these diseases that more focus is being placed on the causes.  Please let me know if you have any info.  Thanks, JoAnn

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi JoAnn,

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Relaxin, but upon doing a little search found that it's a hormone related to insulin and, according to this Wiki article, it is thought there may be a possible connection to scleroderma and fibromyalgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relaxin

Would have to do more research, but this sounds vaguely like IPT (Insulin Potentiation Therapy).

http://www.iptq.org/  

What I find interesting about this topic is that about 2 years ago, Canadian researchers at a Children's Hospital (reported in the journal Cell) found that by injecting capsaisan (the substance in hot chili peppers) into the pancreases of Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetic mice and almost immediately the treatment reversed the diabetes, re-setting their immune system, and they remained that way (at that point, 3 months). What the researchers were so excited about was that they felt it might be a potential treatment for other autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis (another sclerotic-type disease)….other AI diseases were mentioned, but unable to locate those news articles now.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf

What piques my interest is, “Why insulin?” What important roles, other than metabolising glucose in the body does insulin play that these researchers think may help other AI diseases?

My searches may have taken me off on a wild tangent here, but I sure do find this interesting and would be nice to be able to connect the dots. A mainstream Immunologist/Allergist mentioned that he's had some success using IPT to me the other day…I'll have to query him further when I go back in a couple weeks.

If you discover anything new JoAnn, please do share here!

Peace, Maz

Donna RA
    Participant

Hi Maz,

I'm not certain you will recall this, but I had posted previously about using IPT with Clindy/Flagyl, and also Rocephin.  My Doc explained to me that the insulin acted to open the cells and allow the AP to act as a super AP, thus potentiating treatment.  He used very low doses of each, which really packed a punch.  I had used 8 of these treatments, without having any major herx.  Those treatments really got me back to the land of the living, and to this day, I am grateful that I found them, not a cure, but really got me on the Road Back.

What success was the Immunologist speaking of, with Diabetes?

Very Interesting,

Donna RA

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi JoAnn;
         Last week's bulletin from the Scleroderma Foundation said that the trials with Relaxin had been a failure.As far as I know there really is no help for this disease except for MTX that may work for a short time and possibly make yousicker in the end.It nearly gave me liver failure despite having liver enzymes monitored regularly.AP is the only thing that does work despite being painfully slow.I am in total remission.    Lynne

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=41]Donna RA[/user] wrote:

What success was the Immunologist speaking of, with Diabetes?

Hi Donna,

Great to hear IPT was so helpful to you!

It was my first visit to this immunologist, but I plan on asking more when I see the him again in a couple weeks. He just mentioned it in passing, but I remembered your earlier post about this, Donna, which piqued my interest when he brought it up. We got onto another subject (IVIG for Lyme) and I got a bit waylaid, but I'm interested in learning more about IPT's potentiating effects for AP. I'll try and log it in my memory banks to be sure to ask next time and report back. 😉 

I was just sort of stunned that such a mainstream doc was using these kinds of therapies in the first place, although he is an immunologist, so I guess it would follow that he'd be interested in anything that potentially supports immune function….so maybe not so strange, after all?

Peace, Maz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Autoimmune diseases and Relaxin’ is closed to new replies.