Home Forums General Discussion Australian TV program on tick allergy – red meat and other

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Interesting piece on the development of allergy to red meat from tick bites (which can be a cumulative rather than an immediate thing) on the ABC – Australian national public broadcaster – this week. Also interesting is that the lab’s recommendation is to remove the tick by freezing it (using a product with ether in it). You can read transcript or watch video.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4177191.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Interesting piece on the development of allergy to red meat from tick bites (which can be a cumulative rather than an immediate thing) on the ABC – Australian national public broadcaster – this week. Also interesting is that the lab’s recommendation is to remove the tick by freezing it (using a product with ether in it). You can read transcript or watch video.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4177191.htm

Hi Lyn,

I haven’t watched the show yet, but really odd they’d suggest using ether to remove the tick, because the (Lyme Literate) warning here is not to use any type of irritant that might stimulate the embedded tick to vomit its gut contents before detachment. I hear people here in CT saying they use hot match stick heads to burn the tick, alcohol or washing up liquid to get ticks to release their grip, but this is a HUGE no-no.

The red meat allergy thing is becoming newsworthy here in the US, too….reports of late saying that folks on Long Island have been hospitalized for extreme allergic reactions, within a short time-frame, after eating red meat for dinner. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is the suspicion that whatever antigen the tick picks up from its first animal blood meal is passed on to the human host and this is cross-reacting with human immune response….but don’t quote me on that.

The following article states the allergy is due to a particular sugar harbored in the tick:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Lone-Star-Tick-Bite-Triggers-Red-Meat-Allergy-270422991.html

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I haven’t watched the show yet, but really odd they’d suggest using ether to remove the tick, because the (Lyme Literate) warning here is not to use any type of irritant that might stimulate the embedded tick to vomit its gut contents before detachment.

No – it’s an ether-based product that freezes the tick (such as wart-off) that they specifically says prevents the ticks from vomiting up its gut contents. It’s not alive when you remove it. It’s something that a lot of vets are now saying is the best way to remove Paralysis Ticks…..(I now live in an area endemic with Paralysis Ticks which kill a lot of dogs) The freezing before tick spoon use is discussed a lot up here).

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is the suspicion that whatever antigen the tick picks up from its first animal blood meal is passed on to the human host and this is cross-reacting with human immune response….but don’t quote me on that.

The following article states the allergy is due to a particular sugar harbored in the tick:

Both points covered in some detail by the program. It’s worth watching

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

I haven’t watched the show yet, but really odd they’d suggest using ether to remove the tick, because the (Lyme Literate) warning here is not to use any type of irritant that might stimulate the embedded tick to vomit its gut contents before detachment.

No – it’s an ether-based product that freezes the tick (such as wart-off) that they specifically says prevents the ticks from vomiting up its gut contents. It’s not alive when you remove it. It’s something that a lot of vets are now saying is the best way to remove Paralysis Ticks…..(I now live in an area endemic with Paralysis Ticks which kill a lot of dogs) The freezing before tick spoon use is discussed a lot up here).

Hi Lyn,

Pretty comprehensive coverage of the problem in this show and it’s a good job this is being recognized in your part of the world! Seems they are focusing on tick allergy in the show, rather than transmission of infections, but if this is what it takes to make people aware of the dangers of ticks, then it’s a very good thing.

Just for possible interest’s sake, here in the US, the advice is not to burn or freeze off ticks and even the mainstream literature is now educating about this:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/matchless-strategy-for-tick-removal-6-steps-to-avoid-tick-bites-201306076360

Don

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

The best way to remove a tick? Here

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.