Home Forums General Discussion Article – The Autoimmune Epidemic

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Very interesting article (in spite of there being no mention that I could find of infectious causes 🙁 with its focus on environmental autogens or triggers) regarding the alarming increased rate of “autoimmune diseases” in western industrialized nations.

“The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance.”

By Donna Jackson Nakazawa, Touchstone/Simon & Schuster. Posted March 19, 2008.

http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/80129/?page=entire

“Even as autoimmune diseases remain underrecognized and underaddressed, the number of patients afflicted with these illnesses has been steadily growing. Yet few of today's practicing physicians are aware of the escalating tsunami of epidemiological evidence that now concerns top scientists at every major research institute around the world: evidence that autoimmune diseases such as lupus, MS, scleroderma, and many others are on the rise and have been for the past four decades in industrialized countries around the world.”

Peace, Maz

Parisa
    Participant

If they could graph the locations of autoimmune disease sufferers, it would be interesting to see how it correlates to the incidence of Lyme disease. (not that Lyme is the only cause of autoimmune but could be a big one)

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Parisa,

As far as I know, this has been done with multiple sclerosis….my LLMD showed me a map of the incidence of MS in the US and also the incidence of reported Lyme cases…the maps were virtually indistinguishable. It was a real eye-opener. Of course, the reporting of Lyme is atrocious and the ones that are reported probably don't include reports of associated tickborne diseases…so that would be interesting, too.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Article – The Autoimmune Epidemic’ is closed to new replies.