Home Forums General Discussion Are there certain blood tests that correlate with pain?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tbird2340
    Participant

Hi all! Long time no post! ๐Ÿ˜€ Hope everyone is doing well / better!

I’m just curious if there are certain blood tests that correlate with pain levels.. Also, what are the most important bloodwork tests to get done on a regular basis for RA / Lyme?

Thanks guys!

Tom

๐Ÿ˜€

Maz
    Keymaster

@tbird2340 wrote:

I’m just curious if there are certain blood tests that correlate with pain levels.. Also, what are the most important bloodwork tests to get done on a regular basis for RA / Lyme?

Hi Tom,

Nice to see you back!

The labs that correspond to inflammation usually give an idea of degree of pain levels and these are SED rate and cardio-CRP.

The labs my Lyme doc runs for me on a routine basis include:

Complete Blood Count
    Metabolic Panel
    Liver and Pancreatic enzymes
    CRP (my SED has always been in normal range, strangely, which is why we don’t bother with this one)
    Anti-CCP
    ANA
    RF
    C3D (a measure of bound immune complexes – indicates how hard the body is fighting infections)

Every LLMD probably has their own MO with regard to lab testing, but the most important routine ones are probably the above. I have these tested monthly.

tbird2340
    Participant

Thanks Maz!

So if the SED and cardio-CRP labs are normal / close to normal should one not be experiencing much pain?

Maz
    Keymaster

@tbird2340 wrote:

So if the SED and cardio-CRP labs are normal / close to normal should one not be experiencing much pain?

Tom, that’s a good question! There are some people with seronegative RA and do experience very real pain. Also, in the case of Lyme, there can be a strange, eerie lack of inflammation but still a good deal of pain, according to my LLMD.

Is your pain mostly in your joints or muscles? Sometimes muscle enzyme tests can also indicate degree of pain in cases of myositis, for instance.

tbird2340
    Participant

It likes me joints!

Maz
    Keymaster

@tbird2340 wrote:

It likes me joints!

๐Ÿ˜ฅ Yea, I understand. Btw, forgot to mention that elevated WBC (white blood cell count) can also correlate to inflammation.

maz.aust
    Participant

Not forgetting that the results are only as good as you are at the time the blood is drawn ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

tbird2340
    Participant

I’m also guessing that the level of pain / inflammation correlates with how tired you are…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.