Home Forums General Discussion AP treatment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

Hi All! Was wondering if everyone who is on the AP treatment has had IV antibiotics prior to starting the oral minocin or not.  I called Dr. S's office in Iowa today and spoke with “Lou”.  She told me that “if your going to do it, do it the right way”…which meant…the IV's first and then start the oral minocin.  She said it acts as a “boost” to get things rolling faster.  Just wondering if I decided to go on oral minocin without the IV antibiotics if it will still be effective for me.  Any information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

tbird2340
    Participant

This is a great question.. I just started AP and my appointment was with Dr. T in Parma. I think she's only treated about 20 patients on AP so I'm not sure how experienced she is..

She didn't feel I needed the IV's.. Also, I *thought* I read in the book that IV's were only used for patients that had the disease(s) for a long time and / or had a severe case..

But, isn't Dr. S the one who worked alongside Dr. Brown? I'm guessing he knows best and if he says that he does IV's for everyone first, and I'm not doing them, well.. It makes me kinda nervous..

Look forward to replies!

davew
    Participant

Agreed, it is a great question. I was on Tetracycline several years ago and achieved what I would call complete remission although it took over a year and a half to get there. It was a slow steady improvement kinda thing. I stopped the AP after the year and a half and still kept improving. I was fine for many years until the return of my RA in 97.

I was on conventional meds until about 2 months ago when I started minocycline without having the IVs first. It just wasn't in the cards for me at that time.I still am quite confident in a major recovery although it will probably take a long time again.

I'm a slow and steady kinda guy so for me it's just a normal thing to do… The AP will be effective for you but may take longer to kick in as it did for me. Many on this board will have more in depth answers and have got this down to a tee, but it's taking me time to digest it all.

Best to you…

Dave

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Tom – the reason Dr Brown started many people with IV's I believe is that their disease was longstanding – and their guts were so hyper-sensitive from years of medications that they were unable to tolerate much, if any, oral abx. The quote below is taken from Historical Protocol from the main site under Education – Physician's Packet:

Patients with severe or long-standing disease are started with a series of daily intravenous or intramuscular antibiotic treatments for a period ranging from one to three weeks. Clindamycin is given to eradicate long-standing L forms of bacteria resident in the gut, respiratory tract, genito-urinary tract and other areas to allow greater permeability of the tetracycline family of antibiotics and diminish the variables of disease. Clindamycin is concentrated in the phagosomes of the neutrophils, and therefore accumulates at the site of inflammation.

Oral Clindamycin – Some physicians have had success using clindamycin orally (i.e. 1200 mg.) in a single weekly dose instead of in IV or IM.

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184

Dont forget, however, that the tetracycline derivatives – esp mino as a 3rd generation tetra – is considered to have much better penetration than the original  tetracycline that was available to Dr Brown. Many, many people have done very well on oral alone. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

kat
    Participant

It does NOT hurt to have oral antibiotics prior to the IVs. But, if a person can go straight to the IVs first, then why not? But no, you will not hurt your chances of recovery by having oral abx first.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

This is a great question I was wondering the same thing as I haven't started AP yet and am tossing around what to do and which Dr to work with. When I called Dr S's office the lady  isoke wth tld me to get started on the mino ASAP, andthen to call and scheule an appt to come down for my IVs (Dr S is out of the office until next week). I asked her if it was bad to do the oral prior to the IVS and she said it i not bad, and that with SD the most important thing is to get on SOMETHING (mino or IV's) whichever I can get my hands on first lol…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ AP treatment’ is closed to new replies.