Home Forums General Discussion Any Good Tick Insecticide?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Krys
    Participant

Can anybody recommend a good insecticide against ticks?

Last October I had a tick drop off the porch ceiling right onto a book on my lap. It was pretty big for a tick, not engorged. We’ve wiped some insecticide onto the ceiling, but I’m getting paranoid each time I walk through that area.
    I’ve been reading the customer reviews on products like Permethrin, and it seems it doesn’t work on all the ticks (not on brown dogs ticks).
    I’ve checked only a few products on Amazon and I’m getting discouraged. They are either mild, the reviews focus on fleas only or they come in a spray form only.
    I would greatly appreciate any solution that’s proven to work.
    Krys

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Krys – did you see this post by danho?
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7256

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Krys
    Participant

Thank you, Lynnie. I’m hoping to find something that works on ALL ticks.
    Damminix Tick Tube uses Permethrin soaked cotton balls and targets the ticks that are still living on mice. It looks like a good solution to reduce the tick population (if the mice agree to build their nests inside the tubes and their sense of smell does not find Permethrin repulsive).
    Brown dog ticks do not die even when sprayed with Permethrin directly. At least that’s what I read in one review. I don’t know if all other types of ticks are killed by it or just some types.
    So still searching….
    Krys

hi krys, sorry to hear you have ticks in the house, thats a worry. have you tried your local farmers- if you have any where you live – or produce agencys who provide products to farmers? just a thought.they may come up with some ideas for you 🙂 .- kind regards..di.

Krys
    Participant

Hi Dianne,
    Great idea! I’ll do that. Thank you.
    Krys

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Krys – I’ve just started using Flea and Tick Defence which is an all natural product produced by the Mercola vet side of their business – both on my dog and have tried it myself. It’s a preventive rather than a killer though.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eileen
    Participant

Hi Krys,

I use the Tick Tubes. They work ok, as I have them pinned up high on my fence in the backyard [sorry to say that my children aren’t allowed to go in our backyard because of the tick population]. Please keep in mind if you have pets that these tubes are harmful to them.

Keep those rotten buggers out of your home. Unfortunately, they’re small and crawl in through the smallest cracks. About two months ago, I had a tick on my bed pillow that came out of nowhere. Windows shut, no pets, etc. 😮

The good news, Krys, is that you found it. It’s the ones we don’t find that worry me.

Eileen

Krys
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie and Eileen.
    I’ve used an organic clove oil based insecticide and will repeat with liquid Permethrin. Will inquire at my farmer’s.
    We sure have to be more watchful this year!
    Warm wishes, Krys

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Krys,

I found some (seemingly) good information using Google:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=insecticide+”dog+ticks”&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Krys
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi Krys,

I found some (seemingly) good information using Google:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=insecticide+”dog+ticks”&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1

Thank you, Phil! It had never occurred to me to include dog’s tick in the search! 😳
    That will cover all ticks, what a relief.
    Warm wishes, Krys

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Krys,
    @Krys wrote:

Damminix Tick Tube uses Permethrin soaked cotton balls and targets the ticks that are still living on mice. It looks like a good solution to reduce the tick population (if the mice agree to build their nests inside the tubes and their sense of smell does not find Permethrin repulsive).

The mice don’t built their nests inside the tubes, they pull the cotton out and use it for bedding material.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Krys
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

The mice don’t built their nests inside the tubes, they pull the cotton out and use it for bedding material.

Thank you, Phil. I like this way better, as the mice and their offspring will hopefully be debugged instead of harmed.
    Krys

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.