Home Forums General Discussion Alternate to CLINDAMYCIN IV?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mahesh_Bhagnari
    Participant

Hello,

As we are ON OUR OWN without any doctor monitoring us, Clindamycin IV is out of question for my brother. Is ORAL alternate awailable or/and as effective? What about the dosage?

Anyone used such an alternative?

I would be grateful if you go through my earlier posts for background information.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Mahesh Bhagnari

Brother/32/RA since Apr 2004/On mostly 100mg MINO since Dec 2004

superperroRA
    Participant

Some supplement Minocin with Azithromycin.
    Do a search for
    Azithromycin
    in this bullentin board

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=221]Mahesh_Bhagnari[/user] wrote:

As we are ON OUR OWN without any doctor monitoring us, Clindamycin IV is out of question for my brother. Is ORAL alternate awailable or/and as effective? What about the dosage?

Anyone used such an alternative?

Mahesh, if you go back to the Mino + Mtx thread, you will find alternatives suggested, including Azithromycin (brand Zithromax), as Superperro has kindly mentioned.

Please recheck: http://www.rheumatic.org/faq.htm Faq #13 for suggestions when progress is stalled. Your brother's difficulties may be more than just a matter of changing up his meds. It could be any number of things that are contributing…suggestions are offered at this link to consider and check out in addition to alternative abx. Not all of us get well by taking antibiotics alone. Adjunct therapies, supplements, detoxing, investigating food sensitivites, leaky gut, candida, etc., are all things that can stall out progress, as well.

If azithromycin is not an option, rheumatic.org also suggests the mino, flagyl, nystatin protocol, but you would need to contact a volunteer at that site to determine standard doses and also to be aware that flagyl is quite a powerful drug that needs careful observation of blood values.

I also urge you to re-acquaint yourself with the information contained in the “Physician Packet” on the historical and current protocols on this site. You may find the information about the hypersensitivity state applicable, as well as other relevant tips:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.sub/subgroup_id/30.html

Also at this link, you will find suggestions for substitiuting oral clindamycin, as follows:

“Oral Clindamycin – Some physicians have had success using clindamycin orally (i.e. 1200 mg.) in a single weekly dose instead of in IV or IM”.

And,

“Following the initial clindamycin IV or IM course, oral minocycline or doxycycline is most commonly prescribed, continuing the periodic clindamycin as an adjunct to therapy. Care should be taken not to administer any antibiotic drug at too high a dosage too fast to avoid an allergic reaction by the patient.

Failure to achieve proper drug titration in either the continuous anti-inflammatory or intermittent anti-microbial medications may result in disturbance of the rheumatoid state of balance and promote clinical worsening (the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction).”

Oral Clindy can be quite hard on the gut which is why its preferable to use IV or IM, so if you decide to use the oral protocol, it's just something of which to remain aware as a possible complication and to also be sure to load up on a good quality probiotic.

Winging it alone, without a doctor is quite challenging. So you will need to read and re-read all the information provided on these sites, as well as The New Arthritis Breakthrough. I have read this book several times now and find answers to questions I missed previously and still don't feel I've absorbed it all.

Has your brother tried pulsed dosing with mino?

Peace, Maz

John McDonald
    Participant

I have never had an IV antibiotic and I have done extremely well. I achieved credible remission in about 14 months with nothing more than Doxycycline, 200mg QOD for 8 months and then Minocycline 200mg QOD. Following that I started the Marshall Protocol which does not use IVs and I made further progress. I am not alone in using oral antibiotics exclusively.  When I started AP and began monitoring this bulletin board,  for some reason at that time very few people here were using IV antibiotics. It seems that AP patients do better with IV clindamycin, but I don't think the advantage is critical. It certainly wasn't for me and many others. This can be done without IVs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Alternate to CLINDAMYCIN IV?’ is closed to new replies.