Home Forums General Discussion Advances in Lyme Disease testing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

Hi folks,

I just remembered recently reading about a new test for Lyme Disease and thought I’d look into it. Below are some links to information about new tests for Lyme Disease that have been developed or are in the process of being developed.

These web pages are about a culture test that is already available:
    Improved Culture Conditions for the Growth and Detection of Borrelia from Human Serum
    Spirochete/Borrelia Testing (from Culture)

This article is about a rapid test that researchers at the University of Pennsylvania are working on:
    Nanotube sensor detects Lyme disease

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

Here’s an update on that new culture test for Lyme Disease:
    Assessment of New Culture Method to Detect Borrelia species in Serum of Lyme Disease Patients

Unfortunately, it failed CDC analysis due to probable laboratory contamination.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Phil,

This is the new Burrascano/Sapi Lyme test that was hailed by the Lyme community a while back. Burrascano was hounded out of practice in NY some time ago for providing long-term treatment for Lyme patients, but whose Diagnostic and Treatment Guidelines have become a gold standard for Lyme Literate MDs. My gut impression is that this test has gone the way of any research that is connected to anyone looking at the possibility of chronic Lyme.

http://lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/811.html

I believe that one of the main issues with this test was the cost, which was pretty high as it required some amount of time to culture specimens and making it unlikely that it would become a standardized test covered by insurance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.