Home Forums General Discussion ACG: Low-Dose Naproxen Increases Ulcer Risk

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

I found this several weeks ago and meant to post it sooner.

ACG: Low-Dose Naproxen Increases Ulcer Risk
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ACG/16621

Although the results are considered preliminary at this point, I expect that further research will lead to the same conclusion. I've taken low-dose naproxen sodium for short peirods, and that stuff really did a number on my stomach. I have a nickname for the stuff: “rot gut.” 😀

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

APbeliever
    Participant

All Cox 1 NSAIDs cause ulcers. Cox 2 NSAID like Celebrex are usually less harsh on the stomach but they could still cause ulcers. That is why it is doctors usually advice you take a PPI before taking NSAIDs. PPI's like prevacid, OTC prilosec, Nexium are prime examples.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1429]PhilC[/user] wrote:

Although the results are considered preliminary at this point, I expect that further research will lead to the same conclusion. I've taken low-dose naproxen sodium for short peirods, and that stuff really did a number on my stomach. I have a nickname for the stuff: “rot gut.” 😀

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the interesting study. My doc wouldn't let me take naproxen for longer than a week or two at a time in the beginning. I didn't know much at that point about any drugs, but figured by his reaction that it must be nasty stuff, didn't ask for any further refills and subsequently learned enough to avoid it. :sick:

What I find so troubling about studies like this is that it was financed by Astra Zeneca, the pharma that produces Nexium, a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI)!  

“The study was supported by a grant from AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals.

A co-author is an employee of AstraZeneca, and another reported financial relationships with Takeda, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, NiCox, Horizon Therapeutics.”

Although I'm not questioning the accuracy or veracity of these study results nor the helpfulness of PPIs to those who need them, I do sometimes wish that funds for research (from all sources) went into a national scientific pool and that vested interests in profit were not a part of the process of distributing those funds to drug research….in a perfect world, eh? :doh: 

Peace, Maz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ ACG: Low-Dose Naproxen Increases Ulcer Risk’ is closed to new replies.