Home Forums General Discussion A "Heads Up" on Kidney Failure

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

2nd EDIT is for editing the 1st edit…lol: Reading more about the GFR test and ways to learn other unknown kidney failure information written about in Science Daily link down below is an absolute “Need to read!” AF

Hello RBF Friends,

I had hoped to add the new information below (put together for a family member) to a recent existing Kidney Failure post here on the BB. The last post I found on kidney failure was dated December 2012, Scleroderma-related, so decided to put this Kidney Failure info/links in a new topic. Hope it will serve as “warning information” to all of us, whatever diagnoses we are dealing with. [The family member spoken about does not have a rheumatic diagnosis, but heart related condition, but doing fairly well until sudden kidney shutdown and could not void. Not a nice surprise!@#%&! ] The verdict: stage 2 kidney failure diagnosis, and we hadn’t a prior clue.

My question (and reason for adding this new post) is: How could the patient and doctors not have known/had warnings about this before the kidney shutdown? Below are links that were personally saved for this patient’s use.

I actually learned more yesterday when I began reading from a search which found Dr. Mercola

richie
    Participant

HI AF –Very interesting since I watch my kidneys very carefully –two early warning blood tests are BUN and Creatinine –quick easy blood tests –I take it every six months –they are very dependable markers for kidney function —Be Well
    Richie

A Friend
    Participant

@richie wrote:

HI AF –Very interesting since I watch my kidneys very carefully –two early warning blood tests are BUN and Creatinine –quick easy blood tests –I take it every six months –they are very dependable markers for kidney function —Be Well
    Richie

Richie,
    I believe this patient has also had these two tests at least annually, but will double-check that. I know those were the two tests done and being watched closely in the hospital ER — and watched closely after admission to see if they were going in the right direction. It was called Stage 2 Kidney Failure. And with a catheter, the kidneys were making no urine; and, of course with the clear bag, you could see that “nothing” was in it the next morning.

If things had not started barely trickling, dialysis was to be done. Not wanting to scare anyone with this family tale, but people need to know that sometimes all our “bases” are not covered very well…. until the kidneys fail, and we need to learn things we can do (dietwise, etc.) before such an event and better support our kidneys in the ways we can.

Richie, I’ve thought of you recently with your high-dose probiotics, because good flora plays such an important role in helping our gut support our bodies and helping prevent acidosis — if our diets have a good supply of alkaline foods to keep our pH balanced, etc. and not too much acidic meat and sweets.

Off my soapbox… sorry,
    AF

richie
    Participant

HI Diabetes is also can play havoc with kidneys –I have a friend who has diabetes –no warning -kidneys shut down over night -hes on dialysis now and not doing well –you are so right we must do everything we can to watch and try and prvent kidney problems –it can be a killer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Linda L
    Participant

Thanks Friend. So important. I have never heard about GFR.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

greypilgrim256
    Participant

I am having my blood done every month. For your kidneys the eGFR and creatinine serum are the two most important measures of kidney function. I was worried about my kidneys because my GFR went from a 114 to a 84 and my creatinine serum went from a .80 to a 1.1 over a three month period. Thanfully, the last blood work went back to very healthy range.

The BUN is also important.

It is important that when you go to get your bloodwork done for kidney function that you are very hydrated and do not work out the day before. Exercise can increase the creatinine serum levels.

It is also very important to monitor your blood pressure. High blood pressure levels can cause serious problems with your kidneys.

A Friend
    Participant

@greypilgrim256 wrote:

I am having my blood done every month. For your kidneys the eGFR and creatinine serum are the two most important measures of kidney function. I was worried about my kidneys because my GFR went from a 114 to a 84 and my creatinine serum went from a .80 to a 1.1 over a three month period. Thanfully, the last blood work went back to very healthy range.

The BUN is also important.

It is important that when you go to get your bloodwork done for kidney function that you are very hydrated and do not work out the day before. Exercise can increase the creatinine serum levels.

It is also very important to monitor your blood pressure. High blood pressure levels can cause serious problems with your kidneys.

GP,
    Thanks for sharing your information/suggestions. Those just learning about how important it is to have this newer & needed better testing will also benefit from your experience/information/suggestions! I’ll be passing it on to my close relative.
    AF

A Friend
    Participant

Just found a great link on the subject of Kidney Failure… which is sorely needed to help treat the family patient who suddenly discovered he had kidney failure. Not only does this problem slip up on patients, but so far the treating physicians have given no guidance on safe diet, etc. And, by the way, if you remember the discussion of the GFR reporting that is now done by labs when Creatinine and BUN tests are reported, the GFR said to be a better indication of impending kidney failure — it turned out that the patient had close to a dozen tests done over recent months, and when family recently learned about the GFR and looked at them, the GFR test reports did show a steady rise in numbers toward kidney failure. At the risk of my frustration showing…. What good are test reports if medical personnel don’t pay attention to the progression toward kidney failure! And then, once diagnosed with kidney failure, and patient leaves the hospital, no dietary lists, etc. or education on care has been prescribed. So, a do it yourself plan has been put in place. That’s why it was so exciting to find the link/paper below to share. It can be a good resource for all of us.

http://www.goldenstandards.com/Why-This-Stuff-Works.html
    Kidney

richie
    Participant

Hi Thanks –I am going to ask my doc about this –seems very important !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Richie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.