Home Forums General Discussion 3 Month update , Progress but stomach issues

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Vincentpre23
    Participant

Hi all, hope everyone is staying safe. I have been more active on the Facebook page but figured I would make a post about this here. So I have been doing well with mino 2x a day 7 days a week . I no longer struggle with fatigue and my joint pain is better. Muscle weakness in my legs continues with minimal improvement. Some days are better than others but overall its trending in a positive direction. For the last week I’ve been having issues with my stomach. It’s worse after my second dose and will wake up during the middle of the night with pains. I’m starting to worry this won’t go away. I’m wondering if anyone here has dealt with this issue? What would my options be? Should I taper back down to once a day or try 150mg, 1 and 1/2? I really hope I am not one of the unlucky ones that cannot tolerate this therapy because it has been so helpful thus far. I just had recent CMP and CBC and everything including my liver is now normal. Thanks everyone for any advice!

4/19 symptoms onset
    UCTD , 1:40 ANA Speckled, Now negative
    Mycoplasma P IGG IGM, EBV, HSV1, Igenix Bartonella IGG
    Doxycycline 100mg b.i.d. , Bactrim ds 960 mg b.i.d. , Biodisrupt, fluconazole 100mg q.d , Monolauren, Visbiome probiotic 112.5b b.i.d ,B-complex, Vitamin D , Quercetin, saccharomyces boulardii, raw garlic , paleo, WHM

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Vincent;
    20years of AP and I still can’t take any antibiotic without food or my stomach burns and I feel like crap.I just make sure to have it with coffee,toast and jam. in the morning.I only need 100mg every 2 or 3 days to keep the remission.At night I used to take it around 11pm with crackers and pate de foie gras or guacamole.I needed calories

cosmo
    Participant

Hi Vincent, I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I take 100mg every other day in the morning on an empty stomach with no problems. What does your doc say? Maybe you should scale your dose back and see how you do. I have never taken more than I do now and am in remission. Everyone is different, what works for some does not work for others. Good luck and stay safe.

Vincentpre23
    Participant

Thank you for the replies. I have started taking it with a full stomach avoiding iron and calcium but it hasn’t seem to help. I’m hoping I don’t have some kind of underlying issue with my stomach causing the pain.
    Cosmo may I ask what your diagnosis is? I did see a benefit with only taking it once a day and may just have to try that. I am a little hesitant to bring this up to my doctor. She wasn’t excited about starting me on it ( she wanted me to try strong herbs and follow a functional medicine program which I am partially doing. I guess I can also try a different brand or different antibiotic altogether but I was really starting to experience some kind of normalacey so I hope this goes away.

4/19 symptoms onset
    Doxycycline 100mg b.i.d. , Bactrim ds 960 mg b.i.d. , Biodisrupt, fluconazole 100mg q.d , Monolauren, Visbiome probiotic 112.5b b.i.d ,B-complex, Vitamin D , Quercetin, saccharomyces boulardii, raw garlic , paleo, WHM

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

My experience has been that once I mess up my stomach, it usually takes some time for it to heal. It also seems to heal faster, and with less pain, if I provide some assistance. And that assistance is this: After meals I take 10 mg (or 20 mg) of famotidine (Pepcid AC). If my stomach is already bothering me, or if I just took an NSAID, then I take the higher dose. If I take the lower dose and I later wake up with stomach pain, then I get up and take another 10 mg of famotidine. This has worked very well for me.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Vincentpre23
    Participant

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the suggestions. I went through some older posts to see if anyone else had similar issues and what they did to address them. I found a post about slippery elm and its beneficial effects on gastrointestinal tract and started taking it along side activated charcoal and its made a HUGE impact. After two weeks of taking off my stomach still hurt and when I tried taking just 50 mg of mino the pain would come back. Pepto only relieved the pain temporarily but these supplements have really helped and I would encourage others with stomach issues to use them to heal the digestive tract. As I start to build my dose back up, right now only doing 50 mg MWF, I will have to see if the pains return I may need to switch brands. I didn’t have a problem for the first two months so either there was too much build of medicine or Par Tablets are not for me. I will try a capsule mino and see if that is less taxing on my stomach . I would like to stay with Par If I can because they have been so effective.

4/19 symptoms onset

Vincentpre23
    Participant

Hi everyone I wanted to bump this post up and ask your opinions. My stomach issues continue, now with stabbing pains that wake me during the middle of the night. I am only taking 50 mg every other day and it still is causing this side effect. I take it in the morning and will have mild discomfort during the day but once I lay down to go to sleep I wake up several hours later with the intense pain.

I am working with a compounding pharmacy to get around this problem and see what my options are. I am also going to try give Zydus Capsules , maybe they will break down quicker in the stomach than Par tablets? I was also thinking about taking an extended release form but the compounding pharmacist thinks this could actually make the problem worse because it will sit in my stomach longer. The pharmacist said that we can try grinding the Par tablets I currently have and putting them in acid resistant capsules or they could compound their own minocycline but that will be much more costly. The idea would be to try and bypass the stomach and deliver it to the colon to lessen the irritation. Another option is taking it as a serum under the tongue. The third option would be to take it as a suppository. My only concern with these options are absorption issues and the medication working.

Changing antibiotics will be hard to do with my current doctor, but I am may go to a Lyme doc that treats without positive labs and I can tell him I benefited greatly with Mino but couldn’t handled the side effects, and see if I can try doxy or zith. Thanks for and advice offered .

4/19 symptoms onset

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

hey Vince;
    have you tried Slippery Elm to soothe your gut?My sister swears by it.

vinny
    Participant

My name is Vincent also. When I moved to the south I was tagged with Vinny. Powder filled capsules have never worked for me. I think that the capsule dissolve in the stomach and are the least effective and cause the most stomach issues. I have been using Minoz film coated tablets for some years now. These are very effective for me. One website describes them as modified release. I believe that the coating carries them through the stomach to the intestine where they are more effective. I believe that the branded Minocin worked well for anyone who could get it because the peletized capsule made it to the intestines. I have taken the Minoz tablets from India at arise for years and have not had stomach issues with them.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

CMS12
    Participant

Vincent – I have been on a search for a generic Minocycline that would work for me ever since I lost access to brand Minocin 3 years ago. One of those I tried was Zydus. It did not give me stomach pains, but it gave me serious bowel issues. Never had any stomach or bowel issues while on minocycline. Took me three months to figure out it was the Zydus. Some here take it without problems, so not saying you shouldn’t try it. Just reporting my experience. I am now getting Minocycline through Buylowdrugs in Canada. I’m using Accord tablets that come from England.

Good luck on your journey. Cindy

Vincentpre23
    Participant

Lynne : Thank you for the suggestion I’m already taking it 3x per day and it has helped a little.

Vinny: My full name is actually Vincenzo , people call me Vinny as well. I opted for Par tablets and paid extra because I thought they would cause less acid reflux. I had no problem with it until I hit the 3 month mark when I started feeling mild discomfort which turned into stabbing pains. Im not sure if it is that the tablet is harder to break down than a capsule would be or that I may need to try and bypass the stomach altogether. We spoke about placing the tablet into an enteric coated capsule to try and get it to the intestines which may help with gastrointestinal issues. I’m wondering what that would do for absorption? If it does not break down in the stomach would it make the medication potentially stronger like you mentioned and I would then take less of it? I guess I will have to go by how I feel in that case.

CMS12: You may want to give Par tablets a try even though they are irritating my stomach I made a 60 percent recovery in just 3 month. I felt my fatigue lift in the first week. It was an amazing feeling so I know they work . It’s just unfortunate that I’m having these stomach pains. Thanks for the report on Zydus. CVS carries them and I have spoken to a few people that it works for so I figured I would give it a shot. They may be worse for me or better , all depends on whats really going on in my stomach.

4/19 symptoms onset

Vincentpre23
    Participant

I’ve just gotten off the phone with my prescribing physician and she said she won’t fill a script for a different brand minocycline because (it wouldn’t make a difference). I have a 2 month supply left so what I am going to do is have a portion of them ground up and placed in acid resistant capsules . I ordered enteric coated capsules and will try placing the whole tablet in one a seeing if this works . I spoke to several different compounding pharmacies and they all seem to have different opinions about absorption issues and it working without the side effects . I’m also going to make an appointment with the Lyme doc as I’m realizing I need someone more liberal in administering abx. I’m currently waiting on igenix bartonella and Lyme and hoping at this point they come back positive although his assistant told me I would not need positive labs . Lastly I am going to start LDN at 4.5 mg which my current doctor is more supportive of . Thank you all for helping me out .

4/19 symptoms onset

Linda L
    Participant

Vincent, it might look funny, but when I had the stomach problems in the past after taking Naproxen, a naturopath told me to have one banana just before I went to bed. Also many people get help from linseed. I always think that it is better to try something natural before we take more drugs.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Vincentpre23
    Participant

Thank you Linda . I’m going to try the banana. Wouldn’t it be something if that solved the problem ! I’m starting the LDN because I’ve heard some have done really well on it , even stopping progression of their disease . Best case scenario would be to have something slow or stop my disease until I can figure out how to get on the right abx to reverse it . I should be getting the mino from the compounding pharmacy next week . Fingers crossed the acid resistant caps work . I will look into linseed .

4/19 symptoms onset

Linda L
    Participant

I believe in LDN.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.