Home Forums General Discussion 2 visits with LLMD and need advice how to stop thumb degeneration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Krys
    Participant

Hi to all,

I've seen my LLMD, Dr. P. in Elgin twice already (within a month) and he is an absolute dream doctor! I've been filled with such gratitude that I think I jumped into making progress because of that!
    My 3 weeks on doxy managed to improve some symptoms (fingertip numbness mostly gone, neck pain and stiffness diminished). Dr. P. was delighted it's happened so fast. But I have a big worry.
    Last 3 months my right thumb is getting progressively worse and the whole right hand (fingers, wrist, elbow) getting weak. I absolutely need to be able to use my right thumb!
    I asked Dr. P. if I could get a steroid shot in the thumb joint. He examined it and gave me the shot. He did say that 1 shot may not be enough.
    It's been almost 4 days and it got worse instead of improving. I'll be seeing Dr. P. in 5 weeks; I think I should do something much earlier.

Do you know of any methods, any at all, to stop the degeneration?
    I've been cheating a little bit on my diet lately (just few weeks of very minor cheating), could that have contributed?
    I've been on antibiotics last 2 months now (20 days on Bactrim from another doctor for bullseye-turned-boils, then 2 weeks break before seeing Dr. P. for the first time and 4 weeks now on doxy + erythromycin added 4 days ago) and I was herxing a lot. The herxing slowed down and changed its expression over a week ago. My herx is still slight though building up again. Can the deterioration of the thumb (it's very stiff, painful, swollen, both joints feel made out metal that rusted and got stuck) be part of herxing? All other fingers and other joints improve a little throughout the day (get stiff easily, too, but are not stuck in any mode of stiffness) and the thumb is just not changing even slightly for better.
    Is there anything I can do (get another steroid shot?, any soaking solution? any ointment?, anything?) to stop the damage?

Please help if you know of anything….
    Panicking Krys.

hopefulmama
    Participant

Hi Krys,

Please forgive me if this is a really stupid reply.  But, have you considered the possibility that your thumb pain may be due to a spinal injury of some kind and not due to the lyme? 

I ask only because the last few days (after falling down an entire staircase last week, on top of a disc herniation I already had) my big toe (sometimes even bilaterally) has been so sore, stiff and even full of electric charges.  If I didn't know that it was definitely my spine, I would for sure have thought that it was related to the lyme.  Instead, it is just a coincidence. 

Except not completely a coincidence because my LLMD did say once that people with lyme commonly have spinal disc problems.

Anyway, just a thought.  If it did turn out to be related to your back, there are physical therapists who work to help both the back and even specifically the hands.  I go to PT once a week and the people there are amazing and very knowledgeable… and insurance picks up the tab!

Take care and I will be praying for you.

A

PS I forgot to say that injuries to the cervical spine are the ones that most commonly give neck pain, sore upper back and problems like tingling/numbness/weakness in the hands.

hopefulmama
    Participant

Oh, and I forgot to say that I am really surprised your LLMD gave you a steroid injection as my LLMDs both say that steroids are strictly contraindicated in lyme disease.  When I had my one and only steroid shot this summer to test my adrenal function, the disc herniation in my lower back got about 10x worse and it took more than a week for me to recover from the exacerbation of pain. 

linda
    Participant

I think prednisone used for chronic mild to moderate inflammation is a mistake, but there are extreme circumstances where it is appropriate. As we know, we can have acute, severe flares that can do a lot of joint damage in a short period of time. My guess is that Krys' LLMD was worried about joint damage, and because we need our thumbs, decided it was appropriate.

Since this is a finger joint and there isn't a lot of tissue surrounding it, unlike say a hip joint, it would be a perfect candidate for the NSAID topicals, like Voltaren. Some come in gels, others are patches. No stomach upset since it's not taken orally. There is also capzaicin cream, but you would have to be very careful that you don't touch your face, eyes, etc.

Krys
    Participant

[user=2523]hopefulmama[/user] wrote:

…may be due to a spinal injury of some kind and not due to the lyme?

Kim
    Participant

Hey Krys,

Are you detoxing? If not, you may find it very beneficial for joint pain. Frequent use of an infrared sauna is a “must” for me. You can search previous threads for the many discussions.

You mentioned diet possibly contributing to a flare. Too much sugar will get me every time. 😡

Take care…..kim

Krys
    Participant

It’s so lovely to see you back, Kim!
    I’m probably not detoxing enough. I’m too overwhelmed to figure out what would work best.
    I’ve increased the amount of anti-inflammatory herbs and I’ve taken another injection. The effect is very promising.
    I want to get the sauna! Thank you for bringing it up! images/smilies/icon_redface.gif
    My biggest challenge now is having an empty stomach 7 times a day to take all the stuff that needs to be taken on an empty stomach. How do you guys do that??? What about eating?

I manage to do epsom salt bath just once in a while….Daily Reiki helps too, I think.
    I want to start taking regular massage. And I get overwhelmed again…how do I fit it all in?

Kim
    Participant

Geez Louise, Krys, that’s a lot of supplements. No wonder you’re overwhelmed.

My take on supplements, and I take very few, is that when you supplement everything that your body gets lazy and quits producing that “whatever”. I’m insisting, lol, that my body work for me again and so far it’s working. I really do try to keep it simple…….eat clean (organic), exercise, and of course, my beloved sauna! lol

Take care…..kim

Krys
    Participant

Kim, your body is a real trooper to cooperate so well! Congratulations!
    That was my approach prior to getting sick.
    I’ll get there again, though some suppls. are for keeps.
    I’m writing this to say that my increase in anti-inflammatory, etc. herbs was a flash of genius! posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=5200# I think I stumbled upon a miracle solution for me right now. Inflammation stopped, fingers, except for 20 minutes slight (!!!!!) morning stiffness, are normal throughout the day, herx keeps changing but stays manageable and for the first time in 2 years I am sleeping like a log again! I’ll be slowly reducing the herbs now, and hope the improvement stays. Just sleepy and tired all the time.
    Many thanks to all, Krys

Kim
    Participant

@Krys wrote:

Kim, your body is a real trooper to cooperate so well! Congratulations!
    That was my approach prior to getting sick.
    I’ll get there again, though some suppls. are for keeps.
    I’m writing this to say that my increase in anti-inflammatory, etc. herbs was a flash of genius! posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=5200# I think I stumbled upon a miracle solution for me right now. Inflammation stopped, fingers, except for 20 minutes slight (!!!!!) morning stiffness, are normal throughout the day, herx keeps changing but stays manageable and for the first time in 2 years I am sleeping like a log again! I’ll be slowly reducing the herbs now, and hope the improvement stays. Just sleepy and tired all the time.
    Many thanks to all, Krys

Great, Krys. You know……..whatever it takes.

Take care…….kim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.