Home Forums General Discussion Use of Minocycline for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

This a collection of abstracts I compiled a few years ago. I gave it to my mother to give to her rheumatologist in case he needed some extra convincing before he would prescribe minocycline for her. Even though my mother doesn’t have RA, her rheumatologist prescribed minocycline for her without much convincing. I have no idea if my document helped, though I am fairly certain that it didn’t hurt. I decided to upload the file here so others can make use of it.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Dawn
    Participant

Phil,

I 2nd the Thank You, I downloaded it for use with my next doctor in treating my RA (hoping this year proves I won’t need to move-on though).

I appreciate your thoughtful posts and great detail – very helpful!

Dawn 😉

DawnF

richie
    Participant

Hi –Fabulous work !!!! These are abstracts by almost every important doctor world wide who provided continuation to Dr Browns work –Unfortunately some of them have retired and there is a void in research now using minocycline —
    richie

Maz
    Keymaster

Phil, this is kind of you to compile this list. I think some of these studies are already listed on the main site, but would have to print out your list and spend some time cross-checking to see if RBF has all of them or not, as they are all pertinent and important:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/studies.display/display_id/73.html

And more scattered here:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/studies.sub/subgroup_id/17.html

Oh…there are also more listed at the end of the Scammell book.

The website is in dire need of updating. There has been a tremendous amount of research tying infectious causes to all sorts of rheumatic diseases that we need to get listed, too. Hopefully, soon!

The Canadian study is a good one – there are a number of Canadians who have reported that their doctors say they don’t adhere to American College of Rheumatology DMARD guidelines and so this could help the Canucks. 🙂

Great job! If you feel you have time to volunteer on research collecting and updating for the main site, let me know!

Anonymous
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

The Canadian study is a good one

Hi,

Do you have a link to that particular study?

Maz
    Keymaster

@aoshi_xken wrote:

Do you have a link to that particular study?

Hi Aoshi,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0020467/

Should tetracycline treatment be used more extensively for rheumatoid arthritis: metaanalysis demonstrates clinical benefit with reduction in disease activity

Review published: 2003.

Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada.

Bibliographic details: Stone M, Fortin P R, Pacheco-Tena C, Inman R D. Should tetracycline treatment be used more extensively for rheumatoid arthritis: metaanalysis demonstrates clinical benefit with reduction in disease activity. Journal of Rheumatology 2003; 30(10): 2112-2122. [PubMed]”

Studies are easy to locate online by just copying the study title into your browser to run a search. This is the top study listed in Phil’s PDF.

PubMed.com is also a very good resource and easy to locate studies using key words, such as “Rheumatoid Arthritis Minocycline.”

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks Maz!

Maz
    Keymaster

All thanks to Phil! So kind of you to share your study collection and go to the effort of posting it here. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.