Home Forums General Discussion undenatured collagen type 2

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jasregadoo

I’ve come across a couple of conversations here on roadback about undenatured collagen type 2. Has anyone had good luck using this in your treatment of RA? I’m a little bit confused that people say there’s too much build up of collagen in our joints, but then wouldn’t taking collagen make it worse?

Linda L
    Participant

About a year ago I was taking bovine collagen and boron for two months. I felt better and my blood test looked better. I don’t know which one was more helpful. They say that taking bovine collagen will make you feel better within 5-8 weeks in nearly all cases.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

jasregadoo

I read that the testing done was with chicken collagen, not bovine. Then I read on this board that some people have better luck with bovine than chicken. So I guess I’ll try the chicken first, and see where that gets me. 🙂

A Friend
    Participant

@jasregadoo wrote:

I’ve come across a couple of conversations here on roadback about undenatured collagen type 2. Has anyone had good luck using this in your treatment of RA? I’m a little bit confused that people say there’s too much build up of collagen in our joints, but then wouldn’t taking collagen make it worse?

Hello Jas,

I’ve not been on the Board very often recently, and just read your post above. Could you be referring to “nondenatured whey protein” where you write “collagen”? Also, (another “C” word that might fit would be colostrum; which is an excellent product for many problems).

The nondenatured whey protein a number of years ago was — and sometimes still is — referred to as “undenatured.” This was found to be a misnomer and changed to nondenatured (because the whey protein in its natural state has never been denatured, so nondenatured was not an accurate term, and was changed to this).

I first read about the amazing controlled studies of nondenatured whey protein (by Dr. Paul Cheney) at an opportune time for myself. I had to get off my low-dose minocycline and another temporary heavy-duty antibiotic that was prescribed for a specific problem, because my liver had terrible reactions to the two meds I was taking. I had learned about the amazing capabilities of Immunopro nondenatured whey protein in Dr. Cheney’s studies, and my primary care physician knew the doctor and about his studies and said that was exactly what I should do: and get off my supplements at that time and take a respite from them for a few months. My lab test for the problem I had been prescribed the heavy-duty antibiotic for, to which my liver rebelled, was “normal” when retested. This was the 6-month period of time that Dr. Cheney had mentioned in his controlled studies that the nondenatured whey protein turned things around.

EDIT added excerpt:
    http://www.wellwisdom.com/pages/Whey-Facts.html#macular
    CFS Research
    Interview on CFS with Dr. Paul Cheney M.D., Ph.D.
    Immune System Presentation by Dr. Paul Cheney M.D., Ph.D.

jasregadoo

Thanks AF, I have seen some posts about the whey protein, but I am talking about collagen. Read here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12837047

A Friend
    Participant

@jasregadoo wrote:

Thanks AF, I have seen some posts about the whey protein, but I am talking about collagen. Read here:

Jas,
    Thanks for the link. (Did you notice at the bottom of my post above that I had used this effectively and really benefited — but that has been quite a number of years ago. After your post, and other recent comments, I look forward to reading the updated science and useage information by patients.
    Thanks so much,
    AF

jasregadoo

Hi AF,

I saw that you had used collostrum, but not that you had used collagen. Did you use both? Thank you for all of the detail in your post. Even though I think we’re talking about things, it’s interesting all of the options out there to try to manage these diseases.

Julie

A Friend
    Participant

@jasregadoo wrote:

Hi AF,

I saw that you had used collostrum, but not that you had used collagen. Did you use both? Thank you for all of the detail in your post. Even though I think we’re talking about things, it’s interesting all of the options out there to try to manage these diseases.

Julie

Hello Julie,
    No, I’ve never used collagen, but do remember a period of time when there was quite a bit of discussion of it in some scientific testing — maybe I can find something saved in my Word files… but in our large local group of rheumatic illness patients’ diagnoses, I don’t remember anyone sharing they had used it. Am thinking it “may” be directed toward a limited number of problems. Now I’m curious… to see what I’ve forgotten….lol
    AF

jasregadoo

Linda, if the collagen and boron made you feel better, why did you stop taking them? Did you have a reaction or something?

Linda L
    Participant

Julie,
    I still take Collagen and boron, but not so regularly like that time. Why did I stop? Because I expected much better improvement and also after those two months I had my first visit to AP doctor and started to take Mino. I experiment all the time like most of us. I believe in boron as per Rex Newnham, so when I feel worse I take it. It is difficult to take so many supplements. Maybe I should one day start two months course collagen/boron again. Try. It doesn’t harm. It can be taken with anything.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

A Friend
    Participant

@jasregadoo wrote:

Jas, as I explored your “undenatured collagen type 2” topic further, I realized when/where I had become somewhat familiar with this subject. And most of it was learned from an ArthritisTrust.org article — I now realize, after I did a new search and re-read excerpts from a search. These are some observations made as I re-read some of it:

Many Links were found from a Yahoo search, using these search words: arthritistrust collagen supplement
    Quite a number of research-related items were found from this search. I believe much can be learned from the links/topics this search has found. [I realized much of this had been read previously a few years ago, and the Boron and Arthritis paper is the reason why I have been including in my regimen a supplement with the specific type of recommended boron in it. However, since that time, I

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.