Home Forums General Discussion Tumeric interactions with Mino

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    snglbear24
    Participant

Hi. I went to see the Dr. in Texas and was told to discontinue turmeric because it makes the mino inactive. Has anyone else heard of this? I need my turmeric in a bad way!! Thanks.

Stacy

Diffused Scleroderma/SLE Overlap
    Minocycline June 2016 2 x 100 daily
    Culturelle Probiotic 2 x daily
    Tumeric 400 mg 3 x daily

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Stacy,

I just checked (at drugs.com), and there is no known interaction between turmeric and minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Same story here.I have taken turmeric the whole time with no problem.Lots of doctors freak out at the thought of herbals because they don’t understand them and are probably just toooooo busy to do the research.

NoRAsomeday
    Participant

I have never heard of this and use both together and have seen improvement.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Stacy, I would ask your doc at your next appointment where she has gotten this info from. It may well be that she has gathered some clinical evidence from her patients over the years. If this is Dr K in Lufkin, she certainly has many years of clinical experience. Or it could be, as others have said, a misunderstanding about something. If it were me, I’d ask and get some clarification

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

A Friend
    Participant

Lynnie, All,
    It will be interesting to read the reply about Turmeric interactions with Mino. Several years ago Dr. K wanted a class in natural medicine, and decided to teach the course rather than take it. It will be interesting to learn the source of the answer about Turmeric interactions with Mino. [By the way, I have posted only several times since this new format came into being here. Do you have a kindergarten class for beginners on this new format? It is all Greek to me. Seriously, I would love it if there is a place on this site to train me. Even the little boxes above are “Greek” to me.]
    Best to all of you,
    AF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

AF
    If you email me at lyn@roadback.org, I’d be happy to take you through anything you’re having difficulty with.
    There are also some ‘sticky’ posts (highlighted in yellow) at the top of front page of General Discussion designed to help.

It’s nice to see you back 🙂

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

snglbear24
    Participant

Dr K told me she gathered this information from years of practice. She said that it’s not something that is 100% for all. Some people just can’t take mino and tumeric together. She said if u are not seeing improvements and taking both, cut out the tumeric and see what happens. Just wanted to share the info she passed along to me!! Thank u.

Diffused Scleroderma/SLE Overlap
    Minocycline June 2016 2 x 100 daily
    Culturelle Probiotic 2 x daily
    Tumeric 400 mg 3 x daily

Maz
    Keymaster

This is just surmise, but turmeric/curcumin has blood thinning effects (as well as boosting glutathione) and tetras also have some effect on blood stickiness. So, for anyone who is using anything else that may cause blood thinning (e.g. acetaminophen), this could potentially interact. There is more info on some of the known, though minor, interactions with curcumin on drugs.com:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/turmeric-index.html

There are some interesting pharmacodynamics of curcumin that may be relevant to folks with lupus, but my understanding of these actions is limited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin#Pharmacodynamics

Pharmacodynamics[edit]

In vitro, curcumin has been shown to inhibit certain epigenetic enzymes (the histone deacetylases: HDAC1, HDAC3, and HDAC8) and transcriptional co-activator proteins (the p300 histone acetyltransferase).[15][16][17] Curcumin also inhibits the arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase enzyme in vitro.[18]

richie
    Participant

Hi IMO –nothing replaces experience -if she has seen interactions -thats the advice !!!! If I had to wait for studies etc –my outcome would have been very different !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.