Home Forums General Discussion TNF Alpha

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Hi All.

I have received my 23&Me results and fed them into several genetic interpretation websites.( Prometheus, genehacked and a few others) what pops up that worries me the most is the rs 1800629. I have a homozygous result for TNF Alpha. Does anyone know what these means and what I can do to mediate this gene?

Thanks.

richie
    Participant

What is your ailment —I have no idea what you are talking about nor do I want to know —thats what we pay doctors for —you have an illness you address it —-Also arent you making a case for TNF inhibitors

Spiffy1

I know first hand what it is like to find out something about yourself that you would rather throw to the curb. Been there done that several times. I suggest you order the book from Amazon out by Dr. Ben Lynch. He addresses many many polymorphisms. The first thing he says is not to be scared or afraid. Your forefathers must have been doing something right genetically to last this long! He may give you the direction you need now that you have done 23 and me. The idea today is that genes are not our destiny and that we can control them like light switches. We must try to find our individual best diet and environment to include air quality free from as much mold and radon and other pollutants that we can and manage our stress level. The name of the book is Dirty Genes. I have a feeling that if that is not ideal you may very well have another gene that makes up for and protects. Let us know what you find out.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Shannan,

Here is a link to what rs 1800629 means in terms of propensities for different diseases – some beneficial and others not:

rs 1800629

In the case of RA, this article states:

Rheumatoid arthritis – response to TNF-alpha inhibitors
    2009 meta-analysis of 9 studies concludes rs1800629(A) allele carriers respond less well to TNF-alpha inhibitors when being treated for rheumatoid arthritis. [PMID 19365401]

So carriers of this SNP in the TNF-alpha gene (like you), according to the quoted study, basically may not respond to TNF-blockers (e.g., Enbrel or Humira) as well as others without the gene. So, unless you want to take this medication, it’s maybe of no matter to you (as Richie is alluding to above).

Not a lot you can do to “mediate” a gene you are born with…at least not until individualized medicine becomes available, such as when CRISPR genetic modifications are mainstreamed or, as Spiffy mentions above, hitting on the right things to flip that genetic switch…maybe a bit like making stabs in the dark, though.

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

First off NO I am not making a case for TNF inhibitors. This is a forum. The entire point of a forum is to be able to ask the community questions about issues that concern you without temperamental responses. I am a member of this community and have as much right to ask questions as you or anyone. If the question puts you off then you can simply not respond. That would be the best way to handle it. Thank you so much for your input!

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Thank you Maz. You offer your insight with kindness as always. I appreciate your wisdom and your willingness to answer my questions as best you can. Which is always great!

richie
    Participant

Hi –I went to this 23 and me site –Story –we received as a gift purchase of ancestry.com –where they analyze your DNA to find relatives —you tell them approximately where your ancestors came from -take a fe swabs a send it in –2 months or so I get a list of a few hundred names who may be third or fourth cousins –did not recognize any of the last names at all and I know many of the last names of distant relatives etc –not a one –I conclude all the data I received is meaningless and means nothing if not out and out BS —they certainly never say “we didnt find anything” after they take your money –now to this 23&me –where they analyze your DNA –I feel same issue they cant say “everything is in order ” —I am so tempted to send a dogs DNA to all these people –I would be they come up with either relatives or gene irregularities !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!—To the person who went to 23&me –did you have definite symptoms of something or are you fishing –as you can see I havent much of an opinion of these things !!!!

richie
    Participant

Correction “I would bet they come up with something ”

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Thank you so much for your kind response. You, like Maz are always so nice time when you answer my questions. Thank you.

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Yeah I get it your skeptical….

richie
    Participant

HI -Thanks for your wonderful explanation of the meaning of a forum —mellowing may be in order

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

For you, I couldn’t agree more!

Maz
    Keymaster

Thank you Maz. You offer your insight with kindness as always. I appreciate your wisdom and your willingness to answer my questions as best you can. Which is always great!

Shannon, that’s sweet – thank you. I was interested to know the meaning of the rs 1800629 Gene thingie, too. I love learning new stuff that folks bring here…so thank you for sharing. 😀

Linda L
    Participant

—I am so tempted to send a dogs DNA to all these people

Actually a long time ago a friend of mine /a young doctor/ did a blood test of his dog and sent a sample to the laboratory to see what would happen.
    The results came as for a human being and the laboratory didn’t pick a difference.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lemons
    Participant

Well I submitted a cheek swab (I am pretty sure these companies don’t use blood samples) to another DNA company last year. I’ve had several very close matches , first cousins once removed and so fourth. One match contacted me and we gave each other access to our family trees. We discovered that we are both related on my maternal side.
    The company I’ve used enables people to create health trees, if they so wish. I am yet to create mine, but I think it will be quite interesting to see illnesses and ailments my shared matches have in their family history.
    I’ve also uploaded my raw DNA to Gedcom, a totally free service that links up all the companies results, resulting in even more matches.
    Hope you find out what your results all meant Shannan, I would be interested to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.