Home Forums General Discussion Tigecycline

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    wendi
    Participant

John,

So if it's a herx it means it will eventually be gone and therefore, the paitent would no longer have lupus?

wendi

John McDonald
    Participant

That is the implication. As I recall it was a Scot dermatologist who first described mino induced lupus. Dermatologists have handed out minocycline by the buckets to kids with acne. What are the chances that some small percentage of these kids or young women were incubating incipient lupus or some other rheumatic disease? Pretty high I would guess. So if the patient were harboring CWD bacteria and took minocycline, wouldn't it be a predictable side-effect, as it were, that they might herx with rheumatic symptoms? And given that we KNOW that lupus patients have prospered on AP and have herxed on the way to relief, it would also imply that such a patient would ultimately improve if they stayed on the Mino. But medicine doesn't work that way and neither would we patients or doctors. If my daughter were being treated for acne and the medicine gave her lupus symptoms and I didn't know any better then I would agree 100% with the doc, stop taking the mino ASAP.

Personal precedent? When my RA finally started abating due to AP my wife decided to try my antibiotics on alternate day dosing to see if she could do the same for her auto-immune asthma. Well she ultimately got an bronchial herx (and later relief) but her first shocking response was something altogether new to her, nasty bilateral joint pain in her fingers, that is RA, on the days she wasn't dosing. She perservered and that and her asthma abated. But that could have been described as Doxy induced rheumatoid arthritis.

wendi
    Participant

I was on tetracycline in my late teens and early 20's.  Hmm.  Do I have tetra enduced :roll-laugh:RA?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ Tigecycline’ is closed to new replies.