Home Forums General Discussion The Bolus Sensation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    quilter
    Participant

The last week in June 2012 I suffered a severe case of food poisoning that lasted for a week. I got a prescription for Zofran for nausea; In my desperation I took six doses – over four days; after taking the last two doses I noticed that I had a lump in by throat; so I decided that I had an allergic reaction to the Zofran. I asked for a prescription for Phenergan, a well know and safe anti-nausea medication; and guess what, the oldie but goodie worked!!! And I got better.

On July 18, I went in to visit my doctor. I wanted him to know that I was still suffering from an allergic reaction to Zofran. He told me that I had most likely injured my throat when I had food poisoning. He prescribed Carafate, a horrible pink liquid; it tastes terrible; it seems to be helping.

Things I

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Maz
    Keymaster

Carol, sorry to hear about this latest symptom. 🙁

Were you taking minocycline when the bolus sensation occurred? The tetras, as you probably know, can cause severe esophageal burning if stuck in the esophagus and not fully swallowed into the stomach or if the medication is regurgitated due to reflux or vomiting. My daughter used to take doxy for cystic acne and, while away at uni, took her capsule before bed one night and awoke in the night with a terrible case of esophageal burning and pain. This took weeks to completely clear up. It’s one of the reasons it’s recommended not to take a tetracycline for a good hour or two before lying down or going to bed. My doctor warned me to remain upright for a good two hours after taking any tetra, as he said the pain can be severe enough to warrant an ER visit.

I am just wondering if it’s possible that this may have caused or contributed to this sensation you’re experiencing? Perhaps not, if you weren’t taking the mino during your food poisoning episode. ❓

This may sound like a weird question, too, but have you had your thyroid examined lately? An enlarged thyroid or thyroid nodules can also cause the feeling of a lump in the throat and can also affect swallowing. ❓

Do you have a SD component in your MCTD presentation?

Ever been tested for helicobacter pylori?

Just some passing thoughts…

quilter
    Participant

Hi Maz,
    It

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.