Home Forums General Discussion Team Finds Bacterial Biofilms May Play a Role in Lupus

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Calida
    Participant

My heart is bursting with joy today. Finally, mainstream medical science is saying that an Antibiotic Protocol may not only be a valid option in treating autoimmune diseases but perhaps the only one that makes sense in light of the findings at Temple. And the mainstream media is reporting it! This was in USA Today.

Here is the link and an excerpt:

http://www.sciencenewsline.com/articles/2015070620190044.html

Temple-led Research Team Finds Bacterial Biofilms May Play a Role in Lupus

Published: July 6, 2015.
    Released by Temple University Health System

(Philadelphia, PA) – Lupus, multiple sclerosis, and type-1 diabetes are among more than a score of diseases in which the immune system attacks the body it was designed to defend. But just why the immune system begins its misdirected assault has remained a mystery.

Now, researchers at Temple University School of Medicine (TUSM) have shown that bacterial communities known as biofilm play a role in the development of the autoimmune disease systemic lupus erythematosus — a discovery that may provide important clues about several autoimmune ailments.

A team led by TUSM researchers

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

BG
    Participant

Calida,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this. I plan to discuss this research with my rheumatologist and PCP asap.

Barb

Calida
    Participant

It’s beautiful, isn’t it Barb?! 😀 Best of luck with your docs!

Cali

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

lanolin
    Participant

Good read. That these biofilms are so antibiotic resistant, does that complicate the AP?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Fantastique news kiddo.Maybe it has been worth it to knock our heads against a wall for so long.Dr Cantwell,Marshall,Brown will be validated before long I hope.
    Now for an other bit of good news,if antibiotics don’t help certain people just maybe the right antiviral will.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-scientists-link-viral-infection-autoimmune.html

Calida
    Participant

@lanolin wrote:

Good read. That these biofilms are so antibiotic resistant, does that complicate the AP?

That’s a great question! I know my AP/Lyme doc gives me supplements he calls biofilm busters but I’m not sure if AP alone addresses the biofilm problem or if just reducing the bacterial/myco/whatever population is enough to bring remission.

Supplements

Calida
    Participant

@Lynne G./SD wrote:

Fantastique news kiddo.Maybe it has been worth it to knock our heads against a wall for so long.Dr Cantwell,Marshall,Brown will be validated before long I hope.
    Now for an other bit of good news,if antibiotics don’t help certain people just maybe the right antiviral will.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-scientists-link-viral-infection-autoimmune.html

It is great news, isn’t it Lynne? I had the same thoughts….Drs. Brown, Eva Sapi, Alan McDonald…and the amyloid role jumped out at me. I’ve always believed that my mother’s dementia/Alzheimer’s disease was due to her exposure to Lyme or some infectious trigger and Dr. McDonald’s research supports that. The lupus/amyloid connection seems to support the use of antibiotics in Azheimers and Drs. Tukel and Gallucci refer to some success in that area.

The researchers are including Diabetes II and Parkinson’s in the mix of diseases potentially helped by addressing the biofilm/bacterial angle. “An underlying infection…” Dr. Brown must be smiling wherever he is! (Heaven, I’m sure!)

Supplements

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Lanolin;
    Now it makes sense to add Flagyl and or Zith to our mino since they are fairly good at breaking up biofilms

lajc
    Participant

Oh Wow!!! Kelly……Thankyou so much for the research you do and for sharing with all of us. Makes me so happy!! Hopefully, they’ll link those biofilms to SD as well. My AP doc has had me on Flagyl for a long time. I can’t wait to show her this article….I know it’s gonna put a smile on her face!

Laurie

Calida
    Participant

@lajc wrote:

Oh Wow!!! Kelly……Thankyou so much for the research you do and for sharing with all of us. Makes me so happy!! Hopefully, they’ll link those biofilms to SD as well. My AP doc has had me on Flagyl for a long time. I can’t wait to show her this article….I know it’s gonna put a smile on her face!

Laurie

Thanks Laurie, I’ll bet the results of this research are going to make many, many people smile and, God willing, allow more physicians to treat people like us!

So happy this made you happy!

Keep well
    Cali/Kelly

Supplements

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.