Home Forums General Discussion Taste Disturbance and new skin symptoms found after AP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alsn13
    Participant

Anyone having some kind of taste disturbance after using azithromycin or minocycline?
    It has been around 4 months doing AP and I started to recognize about 2 weeks ago, I cannot taste the food right.
    I can always feel bitter taste and my tongue feels kind of wired?
    Is this due to using antibiotics for a long time?
    I also found new red spots on my chest and I feel it is a new scleroderma patch on my body. I used to have it on my face and scalp only for 19 years. Now I am even more scared and I am wondering if I need to continue AP or.. as my lyme doc said, maybe I need to combine using both AP and cellcept.
    Anyone having new symptoms or current symptoms getting worse after AP?
    Help please.

Current medication: 250mg azithromycine (4 months), 100mg minocycline twice a day (100mg mino a day for 2 months, twice a day for 2 days so far), probiotics
    Lyme doctor’s point of view: Based on my German Lyme test result 3 weeks ago, he feels antibiotics should be used continuously. Since I said progression of my localized scleroderma has not stopped since AP, he recommended me to do cellcept as well with antibiotics.
    Skin doctor’s point of view: recommended me to use cellcept 1 gram twice a day, but I told him I would like to try AP first. He said try it but not sure if it will work or not.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

You bring back memories my dear.I had so many weird or even no tastes but that was long before AP and before being diagnosed with SD.This disease screws up everything.My SD still progressed during the first 6-7 months of Ap but I had read that was a common problem so I toughed it out and sure enough things got better little by little.6 bad days but suddenly a good one.Then 2 good and 5 downright awful.Eventually almost all were good after 2 years.If you get a white furry tongue and can’t taste anything get your doctor to give you a prescription for Metronidazole.taste was back after a week on it and no more furrry mouth

Spiffy1

Actually, I do not think it has anything to do with your disease. I think it is simply an annoying side effect of the Zithromax. When I was healthy years ago, I would take Zithromax for a sinus infection. Every single time I took it it would alter my taste. This was true especially after eating dairy. It would go away after treatment. No worries for you in this department.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Spiffy1

https://www.druginformer.com/search/side_effect_details/azithromycin/dysgeusia.html

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Linda L
    Participant

If it is bitterness only /not change of taste/ maybe you should check your liver first. Another thing: I had a very bitter taste when taking vitamin D3 in liquid or oily products a while ago. Later it was revealed that I had very low zinc level and high copper. After I took zinc supplements that bitter taste disappeared.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.