Home Forums General Discussion Taking Clindamycin after dental procedure, feeling lousy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joanne NJ
    Participant

I have not been on the boards here in a long time as I have been doing very wonderful. 🙂 I currently take mino 100 mg daily for almost a year now. I had a tooth pulled two days ago and the dentist gave me Clindamycin for the infection, 300 mg three times a day. Now here comes a flare, feeling lousy with RA symptoms along with pain from having the tooth pulled. I have never had this antibiotic for my RA. Any thoughts if introducing this additional antibiotic may be causing this reaction or herx? Thanks!

kater
    Participant

Hi joanne
    yes I definitely think adding a different antibiotic could cause a herx as it will target different bugs. It might also be a sign that it would be good to talk to your doc about adding Clindy to your protocol. Glad you are doing well in general. Do lots of detoxing right now and hope the flare passes quickly for you
    good luck
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Joanne NJ
    Participant

Thanks Kate, I think its just frustrating to feel lousy when I have felt so well for months. The dentist did not seem to grasp the AP therapy that I am on. I will tell my Rheumatologist about it. Joanne

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Joanne
    I agree. Sounds like the Clindy has stirred up some bugs and pain is due to die-off. As you are taking it at ‘acute infection’ dosage, that is likely why such a strong response. May well be an opportunity to talk to your AP doc about Clindy, possibly an occasional round?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

A Friend
    Participant

@Joanne NJ wrote:

I have not been on the boards here in a long time as I have been doing very wonderful. 🙂 I currently take mino 100 mg daily for almost a year now. I had a tooth pulled two days ago and the dentist gave me Clindamycin for the infection, 300 mg three times a day. Now here comes a flare, feeling lousy with RA symptoms along with pain from having the tooth pulled. I have never had this antibiotic for my RA. Any thoughts if introducing this additional antibiotic may be causing this reaction or herx? Thanks!

Joanne NJ, All,
    There may be no way we will be able to know for sure, but if I had to guess (and place a “bet”), my guess would be/will be that the Clindamycin is an effective antibiotic for the particular organisms associated with your tooth problems and causing herxing… that maybe the Minocin wasn’t as effective for. Another guess would be that the Minocin has been keeping many organisms under control, but perhaps not the organisms involved with the tooth that had to be pulled. I can’t remember specifically the details, but over the course of many years, I’ve had occasions for Clindamycin to be prescribed, and have taken low-dose Minocin over periods of years M-W-F. [OK, my bet is that the Clindamycin is doing its job… and sounds like maybe doing it well.?! and you are herxing.] Couldn’t resist, Joanne. Hope you will feel really well soon.
    AF

m.
    Participant

It might be a good idea to discuss what is happening with your AP doctor.

I’m not convinced that because you are herxing with Clindy that indicates you should be taking it for your RA.

But, a good question for an experienced AP doctor!

I’ll be curious as to whether you quickly settle back into remission on your Mino after you are done with the Clindy.

Let us know, please!

Anonymous
    Participant

What if it is just too many toxins suddenly in the body not herxing? Have you been doing any detox? I don’t know much yet, but maybe it’s the same?
    Linda L.

Joanne NJ
    Participant

Thanks so much for all the responses. Feeling a bit better today. I do not see an AP doctor. I see a Rheumatologist, who has been wonderful working with me taking mino, even though I know she wants me to do biologics. She is aware of this treatment but thinks its

A Friend
    Participant

@Joanne NJ wrote:

Thanks so much for all the responses. Feeling a bit better today. I do not see an AP doctor. I see a Rheumatologist, who has been wonderful working with me taking mino, even though I know she wants me to do biologics. She is aware of this treatment but thinks its

Anonymous
    Participant

AF,
    Very interesting. I didn’t know they can prescribe it even before a dental procedure.
    Linda L.

A Friend
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

AF,
    Very interesting. I didn’t know they can prescribe it even before a dental procedure.
    Linda L.

Linda,
    I didn’t know about the dental things related which it discussed either, until the past year. I spent nearly a whole year after onset of uncontrollable (what I called) IBS, though I’d never had any chronic bowel problems before… and this was triggered after 5 days of high-dose Vitamin D-3 my primary care physician insisted/thought I needed to take.

I’ve learned much since the onset of these particular problems, plus that many people can have the kind of unknown/hidden dental-related problems mentioned in numerous articles found since. Some articles read recently alluded to these type hidden problems being the cause of many diagnoses such as we on RBFBB have been tagged.

My local dentist had prescribed I take 5 capsules of Amoxicillin an hour before extraction of molar that I “elected” to have removed, instead of a root canal or an implant offered. It was actually taking the Amoxicillin that first dramatically seemed to (temporarily anyway) halt the IBS that had been with me most of the year before the extraction. Instructions on the bottle were to take 5 Amoxicillin capsules an hour before extraction; then take one Amoxicillin twice a day for about a week after the molar extraction. (After the sudden improvement in bowel, I began doing Yahoo searches using the words: high dose D3+IBS+Dental. What appeared from that search led to answers about the root of my deeper problems.

Good luck to you in also becoming a “Sherlock Holmes.”
    AF

cavalier
    Participant

Yes I was on a low dose of Clindy before my dental cavitation surgery MW&F 100 mgs once daily to keep but levels down not for in my cavitations but in the body organs t try to protect from this infection spreading. When I had my cavitation surgery despite 2 high dose Vit C IVs. my infection was getting worse in my worst cavitation sites so my Biological dentist put me on daily Clindy. 1,800 mgs total a day 600 mgs 3 x’s a day for 7 days. About 2&1/2 days in I broke out with a fever last nite, see that as a good thing in trying to clear this.

Only other thing to add is for the tooth removal is I’d use a biological dentist. Who fully cleans that out well including the periodontal ligament so you don’t cavitate and develop a infection there later on AS MOST ABX don’t reach it well til it’s cleaned out and blood supply re established.

Most regular dentists don’t understand this well or how much the mouth can make us sick. I had a old dental medication pack left inside my jaw to collect infection and spike my immune system over for 30 some years! My dentist found this inside where I had a tooth extracted at!! It was left behind. I’ve said for years something was in there foreign that shouldnt be and was ignored by 8 dentists. I felt relief right away it was gone when I woke up. I feel this was tied to my eventually developing autoimmune issues and definitely my left heart failure. I’m already seeing real time improvements in numbers, but need to get fully over this infection. Loved my b. Dentist very caring he gets it! – the real body/ organ mouth connection! I can’t stress enuf that our mouths can have silent infections that can cause systemic or specific health issues and any autoimmune patient or Lyme patient should rule in or out with a qualified B. Dentist sooner than later but if later better than not at all if they have unseen issues inside their jaw that almost all dentists aren’t trained to see!

Best Jill

Linda L
    Participant

Cavalier, what a story!

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    @Linda L wrote:

What if it is just too many toxins suddenly in the body not herxing?

Those two things are closely related, and people often use the term “herx” to describe what are really adverse reactions caused by the release of toxins. I like to use the phrase “die-off reactions” since it covers both, and because it’s often unclear which one is the cause of a particular person’s unpleasant reactions. Regardless of which one it is, though, microbes are still involved — Herxheimer reactions are caused by one’s immune system reacting to the presence of sick and dying microbes (usually bacteria), and toxins are released when those microbes (and infected cells) die.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Linda L
    Participant

There is logic in it.
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.