Home Forums General Discussion Switch to doxycycline from Minocin Herx or failure

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CMS12
    Participant

I ran out of my last Minocin RX that I had stockpiled a year ago so I switched to doxy about three weeks ago. I wanted to try it because my hyperpigmentation is so bad. If you switch from mino to doxy do you Herx? This last week many of my early symptoms of RA are returning…stiff and aching hands/fingers, knees, and shoulders. I’m only taking 100 mg. of doxy a day as I was only taking 100 mg. of Minocin a day and doing quite well. Anywho, just thought I’d check in with you all on this. I can get an RX for minocycline and try to find a pharmacy that carries Torrent as I did seem to well on that. If this is a Herx I’d like to stay the course but if it’s because doxy isn’t working for me I’d prefer to switch and just suck it up for the hyperpigmentation. That wouldn’t bother me but the whites of my eyes are slate gray which looks kind of weird. Thanks much, Cindy.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

Since doxycycline is not as strong as minocycline, you may need to increase your dose of doxy if you plan to keep taking it.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Thanks Phil, as always. Interesting, I’m feeling better today. I will increase my dose if I worsen further. Do you think I need to go to two a day?

Cindy

SS
    Participant

Hi:
    Due to hyperpigmentation with Minocin my Boston doctor switched to doxycycline but the lab results were not good
    so he put me back on Minocin on alternate days and my labs came to normal and the pigmentation was not that obvious.
    So for the past 18 years I am taking it. As Minocin is not available I am taking minocyclin generic and doing fine.
    I did this all under doctors supervision.
    Thanks
    Regards
    ss

CMS12
    Participant

Hi SS – Thanks for the input. Which generic are you taking?

SS
    Participant

Hi Cindy- I am taking the Torrent minocyclin. For 2 weeks my body was adjusting to it and was not feeling that good then I came to normal. My labs were as before still after taking minocyclin.
    Thanks
    ss

CMS12
    Participant

Hi SS – Torrent was the only generic capsule that worked for me so that’s good to hear. Do you have trouble finding it? I assume I have to just call around to pharmacies to see which one stocks it.

Cindy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.