Home Forums General Discussion Starting up again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    leerobert
    Participant

Hi,

My hubby is starting his Minocin today after stopping it back in December 2017 due to what they thought was a drug-induced fever/sensitivity to medicine. Really hoping this will work out again and he can tolerate it. Starting out 50 mg just twice this week and take it from there. Doing brand name Minocin this time, too. He is also taking clindy oral weekly. Please keep us in your prayers and I will keep you all updated. Thankful for the support here on forum and for great volunteers.

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Many, many, many good thoughts and prayers for you both. Please keep us posted.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

leerobert
    Participant

Well, it happened again, fever of 102 degrees 1 hour ago. Called doctors office, waiting to hear back. Now to find another abx, maybe azithromycin or erythromycin.

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes, sounds like extreme hypersensitivity – serum-sickness-like, Lee. Rare cases of serum-sickness-like cases with minocycline are described in the scientific literature. Guess mino is a def no-no for your DH. Sorry to hear this but you gave it a good go and I completely understand the disappointment you must be feeling. Don’t lose heart – there are other antibiotic protocols one can try!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Now to find another abx, maybe azithromycin or erythromycin.

I would probably choose clarithromycin rather than either of those. I also like roxithromycin, but it is not available in the U.S. or Canada.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

Why Clarithromycin, does it work better with less side effects? He did test positive to mycoplasma Pneumoniae igg if that helps out. Still waiting to hear back from docs office. Does he ride this reaction out or will he need steroids?

Maz
    Keymaster

Typically, it clears within 2-3 days, but if he’s taking prednisone, the doc might want to increase it for the duration (unfortunately). If not, a pred-pak may be needed. It can be miserable to go through this. If fever doesn’t go down, it might need an ER visit – that’s on the high side for an adult.

leerobert
    Participant

He is on 5 mg of pred right now. Doctor who is in call called us back and had us add in some Benadryl. Fever is starting to come down after taking ibuprofen. Are biaxin and Clarithromycin the same thing. I see your on biaxin, maz, how do you tolerate it, pretty good?

Maz
    Keymaster

Glad to hear Fever is improving. I went thru very similar. I unknowingly developed DILE, stopped the mino for a month, then retried on the tiniest dose, but got this same hypersensitivity reaction with high fever and wracked with body-wide pain. Hope the benedryl helps him get thru the worst of this.

Yes, I tolerate clarithromycin very well! Can be taken with/without food and if there is any stomach upset, best to take with food. Some folks get a metallic taste initially, but I never experienced this. LLMD wanted me to wait a couple weeks before starting doxy (which didn’t give me this reaction). I developed DILE with doxy, though after about 2 years, too. 🙄 Tetra has been fine so far (fingers crossed).

leerobert
    Participant

Is the Clarithromycin usually pulse dosed? His AP doc had mentioned azithromycin before, wonder if he has used Clarithromycin? Is there a recommended starting dose? I have to message him through the portal to see what he wants to do next. He is very good about responding. I suppose he will have to wait a couple weeks before trying another antbiotic😔. Maz, it sounds like your road back has been challenging! Are you currently in remission?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Why Clarithromycin, does it work better with less side effects?

With azithromycin, the bacteria are more likely to develop resistance compared to clarithromycin or erythromycin. Another benefit of clarithromycin is that it is likely to work better as an anti-inflammatory than azithromycin.

Is the Clarithromycin usually pulse dosed?

No, but it can be (temporarily) in order to limit the severity of die-off reactions.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

Are there any dosage recommendations for clarithromycin? I looked under resources didn’t see anything, just for tetras. I read some studies and it looked like 250 mg twice daily or 500 mg daily? Thanks so much for the help! Fever is down to 100 degrees now. The infectious disease doc we seen last December thought his pneumonia last year (August 2017) was drug induced and so was the rash before the pneumonia, and also the fever he had for weeks in December. We really didn’t know fore sure. I think I might agree now after this rechallenge.

Maz
    Keymaster

Check out the Antibiotics for RA Research section, Lee, under Macrolides:

Are there any studies showing efficacy of antibiotic therapy for RA?

There is certainly a known and documented drug-induced pulmonary manifestation, called minocycline-induced pneumonitis. It’s quite rare, and usually diagnosed by lung x-ray due to clearly identifiable shadows that have a ground-glass appearance. In the last 12 years, I can recall one or two cases of it here.

A clinical study of minocycline-induced pneumonitis

leerobert
    Participant

Thanks for links, maz. I know his AP doc uses azithromycin but he has never mentioned anything about Clarithromycin. He is probably familiar with that one, too. If not I have somewhere to direct him.

The fever got up to 103 degrees around 5 am Tuesday morning, but actually became normal with ibuprofen a few hours later. He stayed on ibuprofen all day yesterday, so today maybe try to go without.

I wondering if he can handle any tetracyclines anymore. He tried doxy for 1 month earlier and developed slight fluid retention in around ankles, still has it but it’s a little better. He had the same thing happen with the high fever last December before stopping
    Mino. I read where oedema can be due to high histamines. Still been questioning his thyroid also. He does have elevated tpo antibodies, wondering if that gland is not fluctuating between hyper and hypo. And the quest for answers continues…..

PhilC
    Participant

In case it helps, there are some links to clarithromycin-related research in this old post:
    https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/update-not-good-for-my-little-girl/page/2/#post-373225

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.