Home Forums General Discussion Spinal stenosis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vinny
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience that Minocycline helps spinal stenosis? My wife takes daily Hydrocodone for the pain. Last year after her flu shot she was almost incapacitated from shoulder and neck pain. This year, some time after her flu shot, she had intense spinal column pain and had to have a Prednisone dose pack. Is it possible that something in the flu shot is causing inflammation in the damaged areas and Minocycline might help the situation?
    vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Maz
    Keymaster

@vinny wrote:

Does anyone have any experience that Minocycline helps spinal stenosis? My wife takes daily Hydrocodone for the pain. Last year after her flu shot she was almost incapacitated from shoulder and neck pain. This year, some time after her flu shot, she had intense spinal column pain and had to have a Prednisone dose pack. Is it possible that something in the flu shot is causing inflammation in the damaged areas and Minocycline might help the situation?

Hi Vinny,

I just did a quick search on the main discussion threads using key terms “spinal stenosis” as I remembered it had come up a few times on the forum and there are a number of past threads you can wade through that include ideas from various posters. Here’s one:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6147&hilit=spinal+stenosis

Quite a few people have commented that they recall flu shots or vaccinations of some sort triggering their rheumatic disease or other health issue. Just surmise on my part, but my guess is that latent infections and the addition of an immune-stimulant, which is effectively what a vaccination is, also stimulates activation of underlying chronic infections holed up in the body. Whether dead or live virus in the vaccine, or whether it is some “ingredient” or toxin in the vaccine that stimulates these reactions I couldn’t say, but something clearly has an effect on producing disease symptoms in some people. There are plenty of studies on PubMed, for instance, tying vaccinations to autoimmunity.

Mino is so benign that if there is the possibility of reactivation of latent infections, then my money is on it being worth a try. The spine is, after all, a series of joints and, even if the inflam isn’t caused by latent infections, it has some nice anti-collagenase and immune-modulatory props that might prevent further erosion of vertebrae. In fact, if I really wanted to go after infectious causes, I would probably look at a protocol similar to the CPNhelp ones, trying a combination therapy, especially if mino alone didn’t help.

http://www.cpnhelp.org/treatment_protocols

Again, all just surmise on my part, but it’s got to be worth a try, just by virtue of the fact that it would be far less benign than requiring pred or other immune-suppressives for life. My MIL has AS and PsA with spinal stenosis and methotrexate has done nothing to prevent damage and curvature for her, merely palliate her pain, and its effects have now worn off and the mtx really no longer even helps with the pain.

May well be that a similar AS-type starch-free diet would have some effect for her, too?

Really sorry to hear about your wife’s situation, Vinny. I hope you can find the answers for her and I have no doubts you will, just as you did for yourself! Please send very best of wishes to her from me.

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, vinny:

The stenosis can sometimes be corrected surgically; I had an osteotomy for my AS and the neurosurgeon helped relieve much pain by cutting away at some vertebrae and using titanium, also. In many cases a less drastic approach can help very much and before one operation the pain management physician got me out of sever pain for months between treatments.

Is it possible that something in the flu shot is causing inflammation in the damaged areas and Minocycline might help the situation?

Regrettably, yes–and POSSIBLY. The problem with the flu shot is that there is a mixture of viruses and antibiotics do not usually address these directly, but indirectly might affect the bacteria that the viruses can sometimes use to replicate within, so it is certainly, as Maz has suggested, worth the try.

If You are familiar with the Beck Protocol, this might be something that could help–mostly perhaps colloidal silver or even an antiviral like acyclovir, could have some potential.

Sometimes these flu shots have triggered shingles, and I’m thinking a similar thing has happened here, except with the nerves exiting the column where they are being constantly repaired due to the stenosis; this is a welcome spot for opportunistic pathogens, and even if not focused at these sites, they will be the first to flare up due to their already injured state.

Good Luck to You both,

HEALTH,
    John

vinny
    Participant

Thanks as always Maz and John and have a nice christmas.
    vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

A Friend
    Participant

@vinny wrote:

vinny

EDIT: Vinney, am adding this addendum to my original message below. While looking further on the Burzynski Patients list (a column of them to the right on the page that opens), it was noted the variation of the patients’ diagnoses, including some rheumatic diagnoses. You and others might find educational information by click on the names, as each one has posted their information:
    http://burzynskipatientgroup.org/amino-acids

Edit P.S.: Am adding this link, also, which tells about 40 targeted treatments presently being FDA approved for treatment:
    http://burzynskipatientgroup.org/personalized-treatment

Vinny,
    It is possible that your wife’s problems are similar to a progression of problems I’ve had — that I feel I finally have a clearer explanation for, as to cause and effect of this progression.

If you to to General Discussion, you will be able to find many posts about these subjects that I truly believe have led (gradually) to serious bone problems:

The single words, as they are connected, are: Acidosis, pH, Malabsorption, metastatic bone disease, Macular Degeneration, Scoliosis …. all of these seem to be involved because the lack of ability to break down, digest, extract necessary amino acids needed for EVERY function in our body, including amino acids necessity for metabolic detoxification by the body.

Also, if you do a search for vaccines+Blaylock, you will find the writings of an outstanding neurologist on the vaccine subject. There are many others also who have written on this subject, one a lady physician treating autism in children for about 24 years.

Ironically, I was just coming to the Board to post a profound finding from the search I did to learn more about the antineoplastons, relating to more information about the above mentioned amino acids… and how they are, and have been involved, in Dr. Burzynski’s treatment and cure of many cases of ordinarily perceived incurable cancer, i.e. even brain cancer.

This is just another, of many, profound bits of information I’ve fairly recently found. The use of ImmunoPro Non-denatured Whey Protein is definitely, gradually, supplying the amino acids my body previously (apparently) was unable to digest from meat protein. But, in my own case, this condition had gone on for a very long time.

The profound link that, to me, is just another testimony as to how important amino acids are:

[12/04/2011 — Key words just found when I clicked on the words

SS
    Participant

Hi Vinny:

My brother in law had spinal stenosis and had horrible pain now he is free of pain after going through a endoscopic procedure.

Doctors knows what is best for each patient so consult with your doctor and find what is best for your wife.

If you need any information you can email me.

thanks
    Regards
    ss

Maz
    Keymaster

Vinny, like A Friend, I have been doing some research on peptides, specifically the use of immuno-peptides for rheumatic diseases. While following up on some links, I happened upon some info on Calcitonin, which is polypeptide hormone produced in the thyroid, and it seems that salmon calcitonin has been researched as a non-surgical treatment for spinal stenosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcitonin

“Salmon calcitonin is used for the treatment of:

* Postmenopausal osteoporosis
    * Hypercalcaemia
    * Paget’s disease
    * Bone metastases
    * Phantom limb pain[14]

It has been investigated as a possible non-operative treatment for spinal stenosis.[15]”

Just thought this might lead you further in your own researches for your wife. A Friend has amassed a lot of knowledge in this area and would second her insight to look into undenatured whey protein.

Vinny, you know what’s kind of interesting? In the following article, it is commented that calcitonin may act in spinal stenosis by boosting beta-endorphins. Now, where have we heard that before? LDN?

http://www.spineuniverse.com/professional/treatment/non-surgical/lumbar-spinal-stenosis-treatment

Calcitonin
    Several small clinical trials reported beneficial effects of calcitonin in patients with spinal stenosis (41-44). Improvement in both pain and walking tolerance has been described. The beneficial effects were usually apparent within 4 to 6 weeks.

However, a recently completed doubleblind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial was unable to demonstrate clinical effectiveness of calcitonin administered by nasal spray in persons with spinal stenosis (D.J. Mazanec et al, unpublished data 2002).

Though calcitonin’s mechanism of action is unknown, some speculate that it acts nonspecifically by raising the level of endogenous opioids (beta endorphins) (45,46). Alternatively, others have suggested that calcitonin may improve symptoms by enhancing circulation to an ischemic cauda equina (42).

Flushing or nausea, the two main side effects, are seen in fewer than 5% of patients treated with calcitonin.

Happy holidays to you and your dear wife, Vinny.

A Friend
    Participant

Maz,
    Thanks for the great information above. Am going to paste it into my VIP information.
    Best,
    AF

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.