Home Forums General Discussion skin problems and rheumatic illness

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    m.
    Participant

Acne is sometimes a result of low thyroid and/or low progesterone.

Sometimes people who are gluten intolerant have improved skin once they give up gluten.

Of course, low dose tetracyclines are used for acne too.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Tiff – what a conundrum for you. And what a response from that doc, there's the arrogant gene at work again. In terms of BC and AI disease, the predominance of women with rheumatoid diseases way pre-dates the BC pill. So, whilst I believe hormonal surges and imbalances do play a part, I dont think it's the pills per se. I was going to suggest investigating hormone imbalance and see that m. has suggested low progesterone as a possibility. This is the hormone that our bodies are flooded with when pregnant that (in most cases) makes us feel great wellbeing – and often produces lovely clear skin. Might be worth investigating. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Tiff
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, I agree, I don't really think BC has anything particular to do with AI directly.  My point was really just that I don't think Accutane causes AI diseases any more than BC pills do.  I do think that perhaps women with off kilter hormones that incline them to take BC or people with chronic skin problems who take Accutane might already be predisposed toward AI diseases… sometimes.  Those same people will often blame the meds instead of realizing that that is why they sought out the meds in the first place, because there was already an underlying problem they were seeking to fix.  I have not read anything in the medical literature linking acne with AI or Accutane with later AI, yet many people posting about their experiences with the drug talked about other health problems.  If there is a connection, you would think the derms would have to talk about it with patients.  They sure have not with me or my daughter.  I used to ask repeatedly if there was any danger to my immune system.  They always said no.

I wish the hormonal connections were better understood.  I didn't have any luck with testing hormone levels when I was looking for answers to my skin problems.  They were always “normal.”  This was true with my thyroid even when it was very messed up.  The levels were “normal.”  Clearly the tests have their limitation, but hormones are no doubt a big part of the puzzle.  Interestingly, derms are disinclined to do any type of blood tests on their acne patients, even when they are on long term ABX, they don't do routine blood testing (except pregnancy tests and liver tests for Accutane patients) much less hormone testing.  You'd have to make them.

We've pretty much turned over every rock, but we have to keep trying, you know?  Yep, Maz is right… acne sucks.  My daughter just got another script for contact lenses.  Wearing just glasses this semester didn't help her skin.  They hold the oil and apply pressure to the temples and nose.  She is looking better, but has to return to school in a week.  I'm really hoping this semester will be a bit less stressful now that she is more used to it.  She has cleared up so much here at home that I really think the stress and bad diet was a huge part of it.

On the plus side, she finally appreciates my cooking!  :roll-laugh:

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ skin problems and rheumatic illness’ is closed to new replies.