Home Forums General Discussion Sick and prescribed Zithromax

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennhere
    Participant

Hello.  Topic says it all, really.  I had a super badass head cold that morphed into an ear infection and nearly pneumonia.  So, I'm taking Zith for a week.  Do I continue taking my AP mwf?   Or, should I skip it this week?  Thanks.

I skipped it yesterday because I took the double dose of zith and wasn't sure what to do.

Jenn

linda
    Participant

Hi Jenn, This is a question that comes up often here. I wonder if we could have a list made for which abx we can mix safely and abx that interact badly with each other. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but it's an important one because some combinations of abx can be very dangerous in that together they will wipe out the flora in our gut.

I'd say ask your doc or pharmacist, they should know, and either one should've told you if the zith will interact with your other meds; but they don't always take the time to check.

linda

steph-sclero
    Participant

Hey Jenn,

I've always been told by doc's to just take the one anti-biotic until the infection is cleared up/finished all scribed med's. just to safe.

Cheers,

Steph

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

You should check with the pharmacist, but I can tell you that Jess is currently prescribed, Mino daily at 100mg twice a day and Zith at 250 mg twice a week.  Your dosages are different, so check with the pharmacist, but Jess is being RXd both of this drugs at the same time by her AP doctor. 

Cheryl

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jenn;
          I bet my cold beats your cold.Frig a dig dig! I have never been so down with this since I was a kid.YES you can take Zith with mino but watch out for a possible BIG herx on the Zith.Probably feeling so lousy that you might not even notice it though.  hehehe.Zith is part of my antibiotic trilogy and is the one that is added to mino in phase 2 of MP but only at 25mg every other week.Be real careful of your tummy as it can totally deplete your good gut bacteria.Triple your probiotic dosage….or even more.   Lynne

Jennhere
    Participant

oh, Lynn… Yesterday, on my way into my doc appt., I tripped on the sidewalk (thanks to the inner ear infection I have) and tumbled.:roll-laugh:  An old guy with a cane jokingly asked if I needed to borrow his cane.  I looked like the town drunk stumbling around downtown with none of the benefits of being ..drunk!:D  Oh, what fun!

Jenn:cool:

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Jenn,

So sorry to hear about your fall, same thing happened to me on valentine's day in Long Beach.  I was getting out of the car and my carryon bag handle was tangled around my foot, I fell getting out of the car, it hurt but I was so embarassed that I didn't even notice the pain at first.  The next day I could barely walk and I couldn't use my right arm for over a week, BE CAREFUL.  I don't even have the excuse of being sick, I am just an Ox!

Cheryl

PS.  I will be out of touch for a few days.  Headed down to San Diego, Jess is having surgery on Tueday, she is supposed to spend the night and we will go home Wednesday!  See ya'll when I get back!

Jennhere
    Participant

Cheryl- I was so sick that I forgot to be embarassed 😛   My fall was kind of a big, showy one with the arms flying and lurching forward till I landed… :blush:  Nothing hurts today, surprisingly.  Sorry for you that you felt it for a WEEK afterwards?!  That's awful.  As bad as my fall sounds, there is the fact that I was DRIVING under these swirly conditions!:shock:  That wasn't wise.  Anyway, I feel world's better today.  Maybe I'll see you around San Diego.;)

Jenn

John McDonald
    Participant

Jenn,

Zith is one of the powerhouse antibiotics on the MP. By powerhouse, I mean it can elicit a mighty herx on the MP. They (me too) take it at very low doses about every 10 days. If it were immunosuppressive at first like Mino then high, daily doses probably wouldn't bother your RA. I suspect from my own experiences that it is immunosuppressive in high daily doses but I have been told that it is, and that it isn't. I know that what I write here is nearly useless but you asked and the little bit that I know may be as much answer as you will get, so there it is.

You aren't on Benicar and doc wants you on high frequent doses so maybe you won't have an over large herx. Even so, I recommend that you stop taking Mino while (if) you take Zith and I recommend that you don't take mino for at least 10 or 12 days after you stop taking zith. You might want to ask for a fluoroquinalone antibiotic instead. It shouldn't exacerbate herxing. If you do take zith and if it goes well on the daily dosing, don't be surprised if you have a strong herx sometime in the week after you stop taking the zith, up to 10 or even 15 days, especially if you continue to take mino. Finally, I stopped taking zith twice, for a month each time in 2005 for overseas travel. Each time my herxing cleared up in about 10 days as modeled, but each time I had a peculiar flu and arthritic “parting gift” on day 20. It was really weird, coming so long after the herxing cleared and I'm still not certain that I believe it was connected, but one other has also described this. I cut the 2nd “parting gift” short by taking a fragment, about a 1/16th of a zith a couple hours after the “flu” feelings started. In that view, you might want to bust off a piece of zith to save for your own “parting gift” if you are so lucky.

I wish I could offer you science instead of an anecdote, but this is what I have to offer.    -john

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Sick and prescribed Zithromax’ is closed to new replies.