Home Forums General Discussion Scarring on face

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    June3443
    Participant

I have what first looked like an old ringworm scar from childhood. Then, recently, the spot is beginning to develop a pitting that is getting larger. I have one of these areas on each of my cheeks. I have been putting metronidazole topical gel .75 percent that I was prescribed for this patch on my cheek when I first got sick 3 years ago. I showed the scar like place to my dermatologist and he just said that SD left marks like scars when it was on the skin. I don’t have any other symptoms of SD right now since I am on doxy and clindamycin. I am wondering if anyone else has this. Also, if something else like the antibiotics could be causing my problem. I am washing my hair and skin in a dandruff shampoo because white spots on my arms could be a fungus..per my doctors instructions.

Maybe it is time to get back to my dermatologist. Any suggestions?

June3443
    Participant

I didn’t mention that I have no sores on my face. The holes just seem to come from within and there is no pain or itching.

BG
    Participant

It sounds like it might panniculitis (I’m guessing at the spelling) It’s a condition that can develop in certain conditions including lupus and scleroderma. It’s caused by changes in the underlying fat layer of the skin. One form is roundish and localized and can look like ring worm. If you do an internet search, you’ll find a lot of information about it including photos. Keep searching until you find info about the localized roundish form.

If that is what it is, then it’s simply the disease process at work but I think it’s a good idea to see a dermatologist and or rheumatologist about it.

Barb

BG
    Participant

A more accurate term for what I’m describing above is lipodystrophy.

Go to the following website to learn more:
    http://www.sclero.org/medical/symptoms/associated/similar/lipodystrophy/a-to-z.html

Barb

Maz
    Keymaster

@June3443 wrote:

Also, if something else like the antibiotics could be causing my problem.

Any suggestions?

June, I noticed you’d changed up your abx protocol on July 5th from mino to doxy and added oral clindamycin. Any reason for this as you mentioned doing quite well? Are you working with an experienced AP physician or managing this alone? Did you switch up your protocol due to these latest symptoms or have these symptoms arisen since changing up your protocol?

BG has offered some insights above to further check with your doctors, but would also add that any changes in protocol can instigate an exacerbation in symptoms, too (i.e. herxing).

Does your rash look anything like a bulls-eye? These rashes can be easily mistaken for morphea-like lesions, discoid lupus, ringworm, etc.

http://www.canlyme.com/rash.html

June3443
    Participant

Thanks, BG, I will check out the information. I thought it might just be part of the disease process, but wanted to see if there is anything I can do to stop it.

Yes, Maz, I made the trip to see an AP doctor in Lufkin, Tx and she changed my meds. I was having discoloration around my ankles so she stopped the mino and added clindamycin to the doxy. She is targeting a possible old lurking strep infection or one associated with infected root canals. I seemed to have a little withdrawal when I stopped the mino, but the new combination seems to be working. I will have a followup with her on 8/7/12 and will ask about my face.

I had some of the scarring earlier in my disease, but it has started again…not real noticeable to others, yet.

Thank both of you for responding.

A Friend
    Participant

@June3443 wrote:

Thanks, BG, I will check out the information. I thought it might just be part of the disease process, but wanted to see if there is anything I can do to stop it.

Yes, Maz, I made the trip to see an AP doctor in Lufkin, Tx and she changed my meds. I was having discoloration around my ankles so she stopped the mino and added clindamycin to the doxy. She is targeting a possible old lurking strep infection or one associated with infected root canals. I seemed to have a little withdrawal when I stopped the mino, but the new combination seems to be working. I will have a followup with her on 8/7/12 and will ask about my face.

I had some of the scarring earlier in my disease, but it has started again…not real noticeable to others, yet.

June 3443,

Hello. Just want to add some things I’ve recently learned about the skin and Vitamin C. I have been learning so much about the absence of enough Vitamin C in our bodies and that much of it is needed. A young lady family member recently asked me if I knew any reason why she would suddenly begin getting freckles after all these years. I remembered that during many days of pouring over information and research on Vitamin C, I had read something about Vitamin C and freckles/brown spots. A search just now, after I read your post about scars, turned up some information/links that just may be helpful in addressing this, since collagen/connective tissue are involved in scarring, and Vitamin C is involved in these. I found these links rather quickly. You may find some better ones.

In this link, Step 6 mentions scars as well as freckles (brown spots) being helped:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/269681-how-to-get-rid-of-freckles-with-vitamin-c/
    Note: Be sure to click on the link at bottom of the page under References, as it is from LPI Institute and has other good information. (Am pasting the link here: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/ )

These next two links are for commercial products, so read with care. I don’t know enough about these to have an opinion, but these do address the subject:
    http://oxywave.com/cgi-bin/d.cgi/ghs/vitamin_c.htm
    http://www.dermalure.com/vitamin_c_face_serum

In Dr. Linus Pauling’s book in which he discusses years of research and orthomolecular findings about all of our body functions, he also discusses at length Vitamin C’s necessity and involvement for all kinds of chronic illnesses, all of which he believed had genetic relationships. A genetic condition affecting all humans is said to be the inability to synthesize Vitamin C (eons ago man could synthesize Vit C, but for eons after that his diet was so full of Vitamin C in his grassy diet naturally that not needing/using this ability of the body caused it to gradually be lost. Animals still can make it, except for guinea pigs and maybe one other. This book has been re-issued/updated after the first edition which was printed 20 years ago, and any research discussed in it which has had additional research findings, it has been updated and notated by Linus Pauling Institute. I have a Word file dedicated to links to the work of doctors and scientists who have devoted, and are presently devoting, much time researching its use for many serious diagnoses.

Best to you,
    AF

June3443
    Participant

Maz, I don’t even have a rash or sore. The scars, or more like ptting now, is painless and no itching. Maybe it is something to do with Hexing. The affected area on my face is right over the root canals that were infected. The clindamycin may be killing off the bacteria. I just hope it stops soon. I also notice small spots on my face where the fat is gone.

Thanks, A Friend, for the information. I bought lemons to try on my face but didn’t do it. I may give it a try. I will also be sure to take my vt. C.

June3443
    Participant

This is update following a visit with my doctor. She believes the scarring is the disease progressing and we have agreed to stop taking the doxycycline and clindamycin and begin minocycline 100 mg once a day. Followup with doctor in a month with lab workup for my liver. She advised me to stay out of the sun or at least limit my exposure…wear full hat, long sleeves, gloves, long pants. I do this most of the time, but will be more careful in the future.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.