Home Forums General Discussion Root Canal Teeth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Hello. I have not posted here in a long time, but I have not forgotten this group and how helpful it was to me when I was so sick. One of the first things I pursued after being diagnosed with RA was my teeth. I have 5 root canals and 2 wisdom teeth extraction sites. Of those 7, two biologic dentists identified the same 3 root canals and 1 cavitation site as infected. The cost to remedy ranged from $9,000 to $18,000. My LLMD, on my first visit, advised me to hold off on the teeth and see how I do with treatment. She got me well but it took 7 years. By well, I mean I was in remission and needed no medications. One problem I have though is that every year I get tick bit at least once. And every bite becomes symptomatic. A tick in 8/2013 remained on my back undetected for about 2 weeks before someone found it. That tick caused the ephram’s rash and horrific neck pain that antibiotics did not touch. Avoiding tick bites is a main focus of mine. Science knows ticks are attracted to carbon dioxide output and that some people get bit more often than others. I am one of those some people.

But this story is about my teeth. I am sharing in case others are suffering from infected root canals.

Infected Root Canals
    When my Lyme progressed into Rheumatoid Arthritis, I learned about the connection between RA and infected root canal teeth. It was one of the first things I pursued. Two biologic dentists identified the same 3 root canals (I have 5 root canals) and 1 cavitation site as infected. But the cost to remedy was $18,000 and when I had my first LLMD meeting, she recommended I hold off on the teeth. I was happy to do so.
    I did get well, but my teeth continue to plague me with periodic inflammation. Which teeth become inflammed is migratory. Usually, I control the issue well by brushing with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 betadine soluton until the inflammation dies down. But currently one of my root canals is inflammed and has died down to a tolerable level but not cleared up completely. Along with this, my sinuses and respiratory system are also inflammed.
    So I consulted with my regular dentist yesterday. (not biologic) An x-ray reveals that the tooth is greatly inflammed. He was going to prescribe Biaxin, but a recent tick bite won me 30 days of doxy and biaxin so I’m already on it. He was amazed to hear that since I have so much inflammation n the tooth even while on the biaxin. The consensus is that the tooth is coming out. I’m happy abou that as it will remove one root canal and insurance will cover it. This dentist believes the infection in the tooth is the source of my sinus and respiratory inflammation and even my neck pain. I think so too and I believe a tick bite from August 2013 is the culprit.
    I pray the removal of the tooth also removes these other issues. I want to share this information in case it helps others.

A Friend
    Participant

@Susan Lyme/RA wrote:

Hello. I have not posted here in a long time, but I have not forgotten this group and how helpful it was to me when I was so sick. One of the first things I pursued after being diagnosed with RA was my teeth. I have 5 root canals and 2 wisdom teeth extraction sites. Of those 7, two biologic dentists identified the same 3 root canals and 1 cavitation site as infected. The cost to remedy ranged from $9,000 to $18,000. My LLMD, on my first visit, advised me to hold off on the teeth and see how I do with treatment. She got me well but it took 7 years. By well, I mean I was in remission and needed no medications. One problem I have though is that every year I get tick bit at least once. And every bite becomes symptomatic. A tick in 8/2013 remained on my back undetected for about 2 weeks before someone found it. That tick caused the ephram’s rash and horrific neck pain that antibiotics did not touch. Avoiding tick bites is a main focus of mine. Science knows ticks are attracted to carbon dioxide output and that some people get bit more often than others. I am one of those some people.

But this story is about my teeth. I am sharing in case others are suffering from infected root canals.

Infected Root Canals
    When my Lyme progressed into Rheumatoid Arthritis, I learned about the connection between RA and infected root canal teeth. It was one of the first things I pursued. Two biologic dentists identified the same 3 root canals (I have 5 root canals) and 1 cavitation site as infected. But the cost to remedy was $18,000 and when I had my first LLMD meeting, she recommended I hold off on the teeth. I was happy to do so.
    I did get well, but my teeth continue to plague me with periodic inflammation. Which teeth become inflammed is migratory. Usually, I control the issue well by brushing with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 betadine soluton until the inflammation dies down. But currently one of my root canals is inflammed and has died down to a tolerable level but not cleared up completely. Along with this, my sinuses and respiratory system are also inflammed.
    So I consulted with my regular dentist yesterday. (not biologic) An x-ray reveals that the tooth is greatly inflammed. He was going to prescribe Biaxin, but a recent tick bite won me 30 days of doxy and biaxin so I’m already on it. He was amazed to hear that since I have so much inflammation n the tooth even while on the biaxin. The consensus is that the tooth is coming out. I’m happy abou that as it will remove one root canal and insurance will cover it. This dentist believes the infection in the tooth is the source of my sinus and respiratory inflammation and even my neck pain. I think so too and I believe a tick bite from August 2013 is the culprit.
    I pray the removal of the tooth also removes these other issues. I want to share this information in case it helps others.

Hello Susan,
    I thought it strange that I’d not seen your post before — and it appears others may not have seen it either. Your topic is very important. A number of us who post on Roadback discovered our chronic illness conditions are/were related to dental problems, some going on for many, many years before we finally learned the source. Hope you will update us on how you are doing at this time — as well as share any new information.
    Best to you,
    AF

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi Susan,
    It is nice to see your post. I remember how sweet and caring both you and Maz were when I was first dxd with RA. It was so nice to have someone to talk to about my new diagnosis and all the pain that comes with it. I am glad to hear you are feeling well and not on medication. Take care 🙂

Airen
    Participant

Hi Susan,

I just posted a similar thread. Wondering how you are doing. Did you have the tooth pulled? Has it helped with your pain/RA? Hope you are well.

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.