Home Forums General Discussion Relapsing due to inability to obtain brand Minocin

• This topic has 43 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by PhilC.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    TrustingGod
    Participant

In googling Minocin, I came across a minocycline extended release capsule called Ximino. Has anyone researched or used it?

richie
    Participant

Hi Its minocycline in different doses –they introduced it awhile back –Similar to solodyn -charge an incredible amount of money about 30.00 per 45mg capsule -there are quality generics around -just a matter of finding the one that agrees with a person

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Dear redrock,

So sorry to hear about your ordeal… I’, using UK brand Minocin MR by MEDA and it’s working fine for me. I have to say, I changed many generics as buylowdrugs kept changing their suppliers and all worked fine for me – I only made sure to go for the one closest to pelleted capsules of the original Minocin, which Meda does but I also had tablets for about 2 years and all worked fine for me. So I’m probably a case where all or most generics work but as others have advised, search for the generic that will work for you. Did you discover if you had any other underlying reason for the meds becoming less effective with you?

redrock
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Just an update. I did see the renowned Dr. W and he told me what I suspected, that I should really try to get back on brand Minocin, which is the only thing that has ever worked for me. My CVS has told me that Valeant is in fact manufacturing Brand Minocin and that they could order it, problem is it will cost me $3000 a month, as insurance will not pay for Brand. Other option is Minomycin from the Canadian pharmacy Canadadrugs.com. I had a nice chat with a representative. They apparently order Minomycin which is the brand, not generic, from New Zealand and the cost is around $2.33 a capsule so that is closer to $70 a month. Still horrific considering I used to pay $25 a month. I forgot to ask about shipping to the U.S., probably not cheap.

Anyway my plan is to call Valeant tomorrow and verify the CVS rep’s statement that the Brand Mino can in fact be obtained (website seems to indicate so) and if that is the case, then have the doctor appeal to the insurance company to cover it. Will supply labs and pulmonary tests as proof that only brand works!

If the appeal fails I will go the Canadian/New Zealand route. Honestly this is quite distressing having to pay so much for possibly sketchy meds when the old Mino was so reliable. Will report back.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Redrock – just something to add to your knowledge base:
    In Australia, we have only ever had the option of Minomycin as the brand. And the brand is what my AP Doctor (in Victoria) recommends. Before I developed a hypersensitivity to minocycline and doxycycline, I’d had nearly 5 years on Minomycin and, after 6 months or so of treatment, I became symptom-free. Whilst my RF never went back into normal range, it plunged to around 200 when it had been at just under 700 at the start.

I hope you find something that both works for you and is affordable.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

redrock
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie for that feeback!

redrock
    Participant

Further update.

I called Valeant. They DO have 50 mg Brand Minocin available.

They do not have 100 mg, it is on “backorder” and they don’t know when it will be in stock.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

redrock – if my memory serves me correctly Minomycin is also 50mg size

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

redrock
    Participant

Could be, but Canadadrugs.com has 100 mg and I ordered this as my dosage is 200 mg every other day.

redrock
    Participant

Lynnie, I’m sending you a PM as I have a question.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Have replied redrock

Be well! Lynnie

Trillium17
    Participant

Hello Vinny: I have been having flares in my hands since the Fall. I have been using doxycycline hyclate 100 mg BID for a while, manuf. identifies as “Mutual” which I looked up and find is Sun Pharmaceutical Mumbai India. but not seeing much relief. Since I have never tried minocin/minocycline before, am planning to call Dr. Monday to get an Rx. (Am on forum today because I knew I needed to know something about manufacturers before I do that and get the wrong one chosen for me.) I seem to recall being warned away from TEVA out of Israel? Is that right? I have also looked up canadadrug.com and find Minocin out of NZ for $2.33 per pill. What is best source right now price-wise.

Trillium17

Psoriatic Arthritis (hands/feet) b4 May 2013; diag Oct, 2013. Family history: GrF 100% disabled & died of RA age 42. Mom prob had PA, had patches of eczemas, undiagnosed, untreated, deformed hands. Me: HLA-B27 Positive; RA factor Neg; ANA negative; CRP & CCP Ab negative; Sed Rate low.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Trillium17,

You should have created a new discussion instead of posting on someone else’s discussion. I have replied to you here:

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/minocycline-questions-from-trillium17/

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

By the way, Minocin tablets are sold in Latin America and some other parts of the world.

Here are a couple of product information pages that I found:
    http://www.medicamentos.com.mx/DocHTM/17749.htm
    http://www.bvs.ins.gob.pe/plm/src/productos/25613_14.htm

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.